General Election 2005

dysfunction

FH is my second home
General Election is on 5 May so we're in for a full month bombardment of Poll Campaigning.

Looks like the BBC are well prepared with their Election tour bus !!

The BBC actually have quite a useful comparible summary of the key issues of each party.

If you're interested in voting it may help you make an informed decision.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Here's hoping people do vote, initial predictions (for what they're worth) are already speculating an even lower turn out than previous elections :(

Maybe we should launch a FreddysHouse Party, campaigning slogans on a postcard to the usual address ;)

Kind Regards

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
i'd love to see libdems win this election. for once.... plz?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'll do whatever it takes to keep Conservative out, which means voting Labour probably.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
I dunno who to vote for.

Might go Monster Raving Looney Party - just for the hell of it

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Votes are for plebs. I'm crossing the Rubicon.

Hail Wij !

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'll be voting for somebody who doesn't believe the state should run people's private affairs - which excludes Labour.

Embattle

FH is my second home
/Kicks Wij's chair

Last election I couldn't be arsed to go and vote, generally I've come to detest politicians although since I detest some more than others I guess I'll vote just to keep Conservative's out....I could get all technical regarding my reasons but it bores the shit out of me faster than Wij in heat.

old.user4556

That's the thing, i think they're all numpties; just that Howard and Kennedy are the bigger of the three. A case of picking the best of a bad bunch.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
I'll be voting for somebody who doesn't believe the state should run people's private affairs - which excludes Labour.

Your views intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter :)

Please God don't let bliar in again. ID cards, illegal foreign wars, stealth, stealth stealth tax, total interferance in our lives. Fuckin police state if they get in again.

*edit* I've come to the conclusion that they're all deeply deeply shit, so we have to protect ourselves - never give one party more than two terms, no matter what. It only encourages them.

old.user4556

Jonty said:
Maybe we should launch a FreddysHouse Party

Indeed!

Free laptops to the elderly.

Remove import tax on imported goods from the states so we can have cheap widescreen Dell monitors.

Automatic 'Leet' status for those from poor families.

Broadband in everyhome for free.

Tax footballers at 100% - gamers, students and code monkeys get to live tax free; subsidised by the super rich and the footballers.

There's a start to our manifesto.

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
Indeed!

Free laptops to the elderly.

Remove import tax on imported goods from the states so we can have cheap widescreen Dell monitors.

Automatic 'Leet' status for those from poor families.

Broadband in everyhome for free.

Tax footballers at 100% - gamers, students and code monkeys get to live tax free; subsidised by the super rich and the footballers.

There's a start to our manifesto.

now theres a party you could vote for.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
to be honest the beeb list makes the lib dems look like the preferable choice (in my view anyway :p )

but then im one of these scary immigrants that steal jobs so i cant vote anyway :m00:

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Only morons want to be politicians and that's why parliament is full of assholes. Bush won because there was no opposition(that corpse?), Labour will win for the same reason. Though I'll be less pissed about it now, since Blunkett is gone.

I'll pick some random party and vote against Labour, probably LibDems oO

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
haarewin said:
i'd love to see libdems win this election. for once.... plz?

Not yet, wait till this generation hold the main majority of votes, then we'll see lib dems in imo.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Aoami said:
Not yet, wait till this generation hold the main majority of votes, then we'll see lib dems in imo.

Except that's not going to happen. Ageing population and all that.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yeah and with me ageing all the time I certainly wont be voting Libdems until they get their act together....even then I'm not sure they would be worth a vote.

I there is no way I could possibly vote for a Party with Howard as its leader.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The Green part have said they'll legalise weed and pills, so I think I'll vote for them. Don't trust any of the main parties to be honest, maybe the Lib Dems cos they're run by a drunken Scot, and trust me they know what they're talking about.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
I will be voting conservative, labour are a bunch of tossers/liars/etc.. the lib dems seem to sit in the middle of anything and the liberals* are just fools who like traffic humps. My home town currently has an independant MP (Dr. Richard Taylor) who was meant to try and save our hospital. Of course he had no chance, and I would like an MP who actually might have a chance in parliament.

* Yes, my home town also has a liberal party as well as the lib dems.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Just to play devils advocate (and because the BBC site didn't list them), here are the BNP issues.

Clicky

ps, i'm not condoning their views or even saying i'll vote for them, but we do live in a democracy after all and it's worth seeing what all the parties have to say, not just what the BBC and it's selective mojo tells us ;)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
I always seem to end up in a tory/libdem contested seat so I'll probably vote libdem. TBH I think they'll probably be shit, but on the other hand I *know* the torys and labour will be shit from past experience, so there's still a slim chance they will be good with the libdems. :p

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:

Have to agree on that one, what date is the elections anyway? If its after may 15th I may consider registering.

/edit, As i've always said anyway, you only need to get an A grade in "Bullshitting" to be a politician, all talk but never deliver, shame really.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I was a labour supporter for years but they have taken too many liberties recently. In all concience I cant vote for TB just over the Iraq war, no matter what half baked reasons he comes up with to justify it.

I'm voting Liberal this time because they had a solid stance all the way through and they have consistently behaved with some degree of honesty, not only over Iraq, but about their intended policies on taxation, civil liberties etc.

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
I find myself in a dilemma. On the one hand, I think Blair is dangerous and shouldn't be allowed near power; on the other, I live is an area with an excellent Labour "local" MP (voting-record I generally agree with, looks after his constituents etc.)

So... to vote for the man, or for the party?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I really cannot stand Blair and the way his party runs this country at the moment, but when you look at the alternatives it doesnt give you much hope. It really is picking the lesser of the evils this election, and that is if people bother. I think the election date should be announced a year in advance, that will actually allow people to be thinking about it and plan to turn up.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm disturbed that only one person has hinted about the fact that general elections shouldn't be about voting for parties; you are voting for MPs, and that people really should vote for the candidate that best suits their interests, regardless of the likelihood of them getting a seat. That means listen to what the candidates have to say, and even if that person is called Bert and wears a dress, vote for him!

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
I'm disturbed that only one person has hinted about the fact that general elections shouldn't be about voting for parties...
In an ideal world, I agree with you (thus my dilemma). However, given the Presidential (autocratic) style in which the major parties are run and the resulting carbon-copy candidates we're offered, one just can't avoid considering the parties and their leaders.

The one outcome I am hoping for is a significantly reduced majority for whoever wins - anything to take power away from the Executive, and return it to Parliament.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Most interesting poll of the campaign so far was Sky's this morning: two thirds of those polled claiming to be 'bored' rather than 'interested' with the campaign so far.

Give it a couple of weeks and that number can only climb

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
After about 30 minutes of campaign stuff I'm bored. Elections are dull. :(

gmloki

Part of the furniture
I think I will be voting Lib Dem this time around. I dont think labour can be trusted any longer. As the tories have offered so little in the way of opposition over the course of the last two campaigns Labour have gotten away with Murder

The Tories appear to have Harry Potter in charge of the books at head office because they claim be able to improve peoples quality of life whislt lowering taxes and not change public spending. True magic indeed.

As for the lib dems I think they offer a real credible alternative. At the very least I hope they over take the tories as a credible alternative that will keep Labour and all of Tony's Cronies on their toes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom