Advice GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Anyone got an opinion on this card? I've currently got a Zotac 780 Ti AMP and it's served me well for 5 years but I'm getting "Graphics runtime has detected a crash or loss of device" when playing destiny 2. Last time this was happening I had to reinstall Windows, though I couldn't for the life of me figure out why that was the problem. I'm thinking of upgrading and I dont' want to have to upgrade my entire computer so it'll support a 20xx card.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Anyone got an opinion on this card? I've currently got a Zotac 780 Ti AMP and it's served me well for 5 years but I'm getting "Graphics runtime has detected a crash or loss of device" when playing destiny 2. Last time this was happening I had to reinstall Windows, though I couldn't for the life of me figure out why that was the problem. I'm thinking of upgrading and I dont' want to have to upgrade my entire computer so it'll support a 20xx card.
Your pc will support a 20xx card if it does a 1660.

but if you are not fussed about ray tracing then the 1660 is a great little card especially at 1080p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'd hold on for a little while until the 5600 XT comes out (next week). It's looking better than the 1660 Ti and will be a) cheaper (probably) and b) more efficient (definitely).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'd hold on for a little while until the 5600 XT comes out (next week). It's looking better than the 1660 Ti and will be a) cheaper (probably) and b) more efficient (definitely).
I dont like amd :(. Probably irrational from when their drivers were crap.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't like Nvidia because they're an absolute wankstain of a company. I'd choose occasionally knackered drivers over supporting Nvidia's bullshit any day of the week. Plus, AMD are spanking Intel in the CPU market at the moment and there are big hopes for their high-end GPUs this year.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I don't like Nvidia because they're an absolute wankstain of a company. I'd choose occasionally knackered drivers over supporting Nvidia's bullshit any day of the week. Plus, AMD are spanking Intel in the CPU market at the moment and there are big hopes for their high-end GPUs this year.
No really tell me what you think.

Everyone has a preference. The 9900k is still a better gaming cpu. But amd have the bigger number of cores and such. The gap isnt as big as it was.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Even the 3700X beats the 9900K in a load of gaming benchmarks, costs half as much and consumes about 2/3 of the power. Intel has a slim lead in single core clock speeds and boost clocks but for anything multithreaded AMD are way out in front. Intel are also significantly more impacted by all of the vulnerabilities.

If AMD (or somebody like them) wasn't around, companies like Nvidia and Intel would get away with a hell of a lot more bullshit. Intel cut the prices of some of their CPUs in half when the 2019 Ryzens were launched and they're *still* bad value in comparison. That just tells you how much they've been ripping people off since AMD was last competitive.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

How do you know it's out this week?

I've had a look and it's all saying soon. I was looking at getting a 570 since the bang for buck seems pretty good, but this has caught my attention.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I've had a look and it's all saying soon. I was looking at getting a 570 since the bang for buck seems pretty good, but this has caught my attention.
Speculation and rants from an amd fan boi

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

AMD Announces RX 5600 XT for 'Ultimate 1080p' Gaming, Price and Release Date Revealed - IGN

From their CES announcement, the release date is January 21st. Also a slew of board partners have already announced their cards.

Speculation and rants from an amd fan boi
Nothing I said about the release date was speculation and nowhere did I "rant". I'm also not an "amd fan boi", I just think it's good to have competition. Anybody who takes on companies like Nvidia and Intel gets my vote.

The conversation is about the 1660 Ti, which is the exact tier that the 5600 XT is targeting. For you to dismiss it because you have a chip on your shoulder (which you yourself said was irrational) isn't helpful to @Access Denied in the slightest. Wait for the AMD card or don't, I don't really care, I just think it's unwise to be buying a card the week before a card that'll directly compete with it is released. Nvidia have already dropped the price of the 2060 in anticipation of the 5600 XT.

Last edited:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The 30xx cards have been announced for later this year and they look a sexy jump up from my 1080 on paper

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
The 30xx cards have been announced for later this year and they look a sexy jump up from my 1080 on paper
The 7nm lithography alone should give a significant improvement in performance over the 20xx cards. iirc the 10xx and 20xx used the same chip fabrication which is the main reason there was so little difference between the two outside outside of the ray-tracing tech. I'm going to be interested to see what pricing they go for too since another reason the 20xx didn't sell as well as NVidia were expecting was the ridiculous prices of the top-end cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom