Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Did anyone watch this on Channel 4 last night. T'was on at around 10/10:30 I think.

I have to say, that it is the most obscure, hilarious and downright odd piece of television I've ever seen. Certainly in recent memory.

For those that didn't see it, the premise is this: It's a spoof of an 80s style hospital horror drama. Over the top, badly dubbed, cheap sets, cheaper models and altogether wonderful. It's also interrupted by cast interviews, on the premise that it was really filmed in the eighties and that due to its obscenity can only be shown now. It's all very, very funny.

Lets see if I can work these spoiler tags...
The part mid way through, at the funeral of the former best mate/gate of hell openner guy who exploded made me laugh so much I struggled to breathe.
The swapping of camera shots from Garth shooting, with the sidekick standing by arms folded, to the sidekick going at it with the automatic was some of the most brilliant - if mind numbingly simple - visual comedy. I had to look away to stop myself laughing.

The explosion was funny as fuck too - spade and all.

If I were to say that reminising over it now is making me smirk like a suger-happy child, will that be enough to make you all watch it next week? ;)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
'Afterbirth: A mutated placenta attacks Bristol'

Check out his site and read the synopsis' of the books, hysterical.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
He also wrote this on for the Guardian as promo for Darkplace: Clicky.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That the guy who was the computer geek in the office?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Someone in the flat suggested that too - I think we decided "no", but I can't remember what the evidence was... :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
nath said:
That the guy who was the computer geek in the office?

Yes it was - heard it on the radio yesterday. Stephen Merchant is returning the favour in a later episode. Haven't watched it yet but I've got it recorded.

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Top quality television. And yes he was the IT geek in the office :)

Dax

Fledgling Freddie
Absolutly bloody fantastic, Padwah's avatar that is.

Darkplace was quite good too.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Well I thought the way they actually made the spoof program was very good. The bad acting and dodgy sets were spot on. However I didn't think it was L.O.L funny, just midly amusing but very well made. Though I will probably watch the next epsidode or two to see if it does get funnier. :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Trailers have done well; I shall watch it (and by the looks of it love it), if I get time to.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
I looked up, thinking is this a comedy or a real show, and continued muching on cottage pie. My girlfriend sitting next to me continued to telling me about a stroke patient at work (in graphic detail) but suddenly went silent. Then the guy enters the room asks "you alright" while the patient spontanously explodes into a thousand pieces, in slow mo with the guy asking "you... alll... right..." throughout. Pissed my pants laughing, more at the look on my girlfriends face looking at the screen in utter disbelief.

One for the dvd collection (when it appears).

Macceh^

Fledgling Freddie
Turned on the Tv and this was on, decided to see what it was all about after being baffled by the trailers. Anyway absoutley loved it, find myself watching less and less TV these days but this is certainly one I shall set the watch for again next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom