Games you bought but never got much out of..

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Calaen said:
You didn't buy Americas Army :p

No but it was a game that wasted my precious time in training sessions...which was like extracting cash from fudgemonkey....and the result was me playing the game for an hour and then binning it.

So there! :p

leggy

Probably Scottish
Sir Frizz said:
Deus Ex - Fuck me, unbelievably boring. Yes it's open ended to fuck, but for me, without a distinct task to carry out, I lost interest and it's collected dust for the best part of 3 or 4 years now.

Funny that. Deus Ex is one of the few games that I absolutely adore.

Athan

Resident Freddy
X2: The Threat - You just HAVE to spend hours and hours and hours (even with time accel) setting up a little economic empire so that you can get anywhere else in the game, like, you know, the story. I really should have sold the buggering thing, but it's still festering somewhere in this flat.

Operation Flash Point - I can see this being a LOT of fun in MP, but the SP just meh. The NPCs can start shooting at you when they're barely 2 pixels across on your screen, or hidden by .... THE SHRUBBERY ..., and once I reached the point where I had to put up with all of that AND commmand a squad too, fuck it.

Freelancer - Only an honorary mention here. The actual game itself is fine, just far too short. I felt very cheated of the money I'd paid for it. Would have been fine as a £10 bargain basement buy though.

I won't add in Deus Ex as such. I have bought it and played it and given up part way through but only because other things distracted me. And of course by the time I got and played it the graphics were way out of date.

-Ath, who actually loved BF1942, especially with Desert Combat mod, and BF2 for a good few months.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Athan said:
-Ath, who actually loved BF1942, especially with Desert Combat mod, and BF2 for a good few months.

I've had more fun out of the various BFs and mods over the last few years than anything else tbh. I'd buy if 2142 if I was actually around to play it.

Its just occurred to me that my biggest gaming disappointment over the last few years is my PSP. Haven't found anything worth playing (including Liberty City which I just found dull) and have used it almost exclusively for watching torrented tv episodes on the Tube...

FozzySon

Can't get enough of FH
Put some emulators on the PSP and enjoy some old school gaming! Can also use a Gameboy Advanced emulator too, lots of fun. :D (Unless you're on Firmware 2.80/2.81)

I do agree with you though, there's not really any decent PSP games atm. Family Guy is ok, if you're fan of the series and a fan of that kind of game.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
leggy said:
Funny that. Deus Ex is one of the few games that I absolutely adore.

I can see how it might be liked, I mean it won loads of awards n' stuffs. But then, I loved Outcast. :)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Most games aren't challenging enough to keep you playing. I install shit and an hour later think "wtf am I playing this for?". It's like watching Hollyoaks, anyone can do it but are you bored enough?

Games like GTA use skill and you get something back for the time invested in crazy stunts and manuvers. The Medieval series uses real strategy and when your massively outnumbered army wins a battle, there's satisfaction for mastering the game.

But if I've spent days playing NWN, X2... what is there at the end to justify the cost?

I've a dozen or so games lying around for "when I get round to completing them", but if it didn't do it for you the first time round, it never will.

Will said:
Op Flash appears to be the marmite of FPS games.

I liked that it felt more like a simulation than arcade game, but the pace is too slow.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Test Drive Unlimited - it was shit
Medal Of Honor Pacific Assault - it was shit
Battlefield Special Forces - it was shit
Age Of Empires - it was shit
Guild Wars - it was shit
Unreal Tournament 2005 - it was shit

Quake 2, didn't buy that, but I'm still playing it now.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Thank you Throd and Sky. Op Flash is the dogs bollox, SP is hard, but MP is amazingly fun. I recall Will and I trying for about 10 weeks straight to complete one mission. Don't think we ever managed.

Deus-Ex, I uninstalled after 1 hour. Glad I only paid a fiver for it.
Rome Total War - great game, but I couldnt commit any time to it.
x3 - What the fuck is going on?

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Ch3tan said:
Thank you Throd and Sky. Op Flash is the dogs bollox, SP is hard, but MP is amazingly fun. I recall Will and I trying for about 10 weeks straight to complete one mission. Don't think we ever managed.

Used to play custom missions my friends made at mini lans at their houses, about 7 of us. Then one of them found a mod which I can't remember the name of, but it allowed based building ala C&C, except you were troops - one player could be the builder - a bit like Battlezone (the one from a few years back). It was awesome, cleansing the entire island of an ever strong AI presence, stumbling accross swarms of T80's tearing through the hilltops and going on night raids to capture towns for more money. Did CTF as well and that was good too.

The graphics weren't great in the game but they did the job, so many times I spent too long trying to ascertain whether that was a bush on that distant hillside or a tank, sometimes the answer hit me in the face.

The vehicles were what made the game though, having one guy driving and another gunning made for hilarious panic moments at LANs. Had to be really well coordinated in that game!

Err so yes, rant away people, just had to talk about OpFlash!

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
Most recent bad purchase is Guildwars. They don't charge a subscription for the reason that they'd never get away with it. What a waste of time.
Battlefield 2 is the one other one that comes to mind, although I can't think of anything terrible about it, it just lacked something to keep me playing.
Tend to trial things if I can, glad I didn't waste my money on Doom 3 and Quake 4 for one thing.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Athan said:
Freelancer - Only an honorary mention here. The actual game itself is fine, just far too short. I felt very cheated of the money I'd paid for it. Would have been fine as a £10 bargain basement buy though.

they released it as an half compleate game. with none of the orignal multiplayer modes. mp was a blast for a few months. biff, deathace,eq-B,DrPyro,HAI guys and some other peeps would waste hours discovering the planet of the apes planet and stuff pointless in the end tho. still id agree £10 woulda been a better price must blame MS for that

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
To appreciate Guild Wars you need to be part of a dedicated guild.

It's very competitive and the teamwork could not be more intense. It's a fun game with the right guild. But playing solo is worse than joining random CS servers and getting owned.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Skyler said:
Used to play custom missions my friends made at mini lans at their houses, about 7 of us. Then one of them found a mod which I can't remember the name of, but it allowed based building ala C&C, except you were troops - one player could be the builder - a bit like Battlezone (the one from a few years back). It was awesome, cleansing the entire island of an ever strong AI presence, stumbling accross swarms of T80's tearing through the hilltops and going on night raids to capture towns for more money. Did CTF as well and that was good too.

The graphics weren't great in the game but they did the job, so many times I spent too long trying to ascertain whether that was a bush on that distant hillside or a tank, sometimes the answer hit me in the face.

The vehicles were what made the game though, having one guy driving and another gunning made for hilarious panic moments at LANs. Had to be really well coordinated in that game!

Err so yes, rant away people, just had to talk about OpFlash!

I never liked those town biulding things myself, but loved the game anyway. It was the closest thing to a war simulation Ive played.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Re: Freelancer
I'm glad I didn't pay for this. We played it for about a week wrecking everything and making people cry, then we just ran out of things to do.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Escape said:
To appreciate Guild Wars you need to be part of a dedicated guild.

It's very competitive and the teamwork could not be more intense. It's a fun game with the right guild. But playing solo is worse than joining random CS servers and getting owned.

much like WoW really, although soloing isn't quite so bad.

surprised so many people disliked bf2, i thought it was great apart from the few cheaters - who you could avoid if you played on clan servers etc - and a couple of annoying crash bugs, which were nowhere near as common as people made out. i only stopped playing it because my connection went haywire.

bf1942 wasn't brilliant, didn't much like it myself. bf:v was the dog's bollocks though.

elvaanknight

Fledgling Freddie
I've been playing Guild Wars for about 2 weeks now and its just not doing much for me... I prefer being able to see other people whilst I do missions etc, just feels like im participating in a co-op rather than an MMORPG... ive been playing the moto GP demo on my PSP instead lol. (http://www.motogp-game.com) its awesome lol.

I dont think I'll be able to let FFXI go rofl.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Hmm, I seem to have played and really really enjoyed almost all of the games people have listed here :( does this mean I'm addicted? :(

I cant remember owning a game but not playing it for atleast 6 hours, or to completion if it was short and had zero replay value.

I've even completed James Bond: Nightfire even though the sheer ACT of playing it was like the feeling you get listening to someone scratching thier nails against a blackboard, I did get some enjoyment out of it, about as much enjoyment as banging your head against a brickwall admittedly but bah, if you dont complete it, or atleast play it for a few hours you just dont know the game imo.

Even games like industry giant 2 where half the time I wasnt really paying attention to the game because it was so boring, I still played it for hours on end, if only to establish that yes, this game is tripe!

I suppose that means I'm a games addict :(

EDIT:
Ah, but if you're after games I've played alot of but never enjoyed... well, here goes:

James Bond: Nightfire - Horrible, Horrible game!
Soldner - it just made no sense at all
Boiling Point - voice acting killed me then my out of control car ran me over!
Ghost Recon Advanced Warrior - fights too slow, everything too jerky an unnatural
Industry Giant 2 - maps were always too small and there was never enough purpose to it
Ground Control 2 - just horrible!
Real War - see above! :puke:

Gray

FH is my second home
Ch3tan said:
WoW - They shouldnt make games you cant sell easily once you realise you hate them.

I'll show you tomorrow how easy Warcraft can be sold tomorrow once my auction hopefully completes.

Some crazy fuckers out there who will spend quite a lot of dough on something like a Warcraft character/account...

And games i never got much out of... hmm...

I guess the biggest let down was Counterstrike Source, it had big hype, but back when i played it all that was available was a server full of Bots, i just ended up losing interest then.

Freedom Force is another one, at the time of me buying it, i bought Warcraft at the exact same time roughly - Its never been installed so i havent got anything out of it.

Battlefield 1942 was a clasic game, although i think the ladder bug/animation was quite annoying, the vehicle usage was rather nifty though... Planes... ooolala

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Servers full of bots? What? CSS always has servers available, sort your filters out.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
The only bot is my natural aim bot :p
Man, I was so excited about Soldner for months and then I played the demo. :(

My games I havent played are X3. I have a good PC but its still so slow and I dont have a clue what to do.
Doom 3 - I couldnt see a thing apart from where the torch was pointed, I tweaked my contrast/brightness and everything :(
Republic - same as X3.

To be fair X3 and Republic were cheaper than normal and I had heard they were hard to get into but I thought I was l33t and it wouldnt be a problem.

Gray

FH is my second home
Maybe now it does, however im talking about over a year and a half ago that was when i finally quit the Counterstrike scene and it was 70/80% worth of servers with Bots.

Not talking about Aimbots etc - Just actual computer generated players running around. Few hours left on my Warcraft Auction, however the twats at Blizard informed Ebay of an infringement and they closed the first advert down, luckily they aint caught wind of this one, hurray.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
There are too many bots on servers in CSS I agree, sometimes I forget and join one which is half full with bots, or as people leave bots replace them.. I don't think this is a great idea.

I prefer CSS to CS1.6 though, wish everyone would switch over, the old dog just can't match Source I'm afraid. It would be better for everyone if they forced a switch, although all the guys who are scared of Source and hate change will whine to the ends of the earth about it. Funny though, since they are the same people that whined every single patch about how they ruined CS and now they love 1.6 so much eh..

They should all realise it was those little changes that kept us all thriving to improve and playing the game so much, new things to learn, new gameplay, new maps.. new weapons.. maybe they changed some things for the worse but it can't have been that bad cause we never stopped playing :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I have to go back a bit...

Starcontrol 3...just couldn't live up to the legacy.

Hell...that's about it :D

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Dukat said:
Ground Control 2 - just horrible!

I gotta disagree. The SP is meh, but the MP is ideal for LAN Parties...especially the fact that people can join half way through.

That and only troops can move through the trees. Why can't other games do that?! :D

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Milkshake said:
I gotta disagree. The SP is meh, but the MP is ideal for LAN Parties...especially the fact that people can join half way through.

That and only troops can move through the trees. Why can't other games do that?! :D

Compared to the original the 2nd was a big disappointment for me :( You had "drop in" multiplayer on the first, actually found a couple of games on it a while ago, so rarely people on though so its just not worth waiting around for a game alot of the time.

Guess its a matter of opinion, admittedly I never played the 2nd one multiplayer apart from with bots, so it might be better for that :) much preferred the first one though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom