Gainward 7800GS Freezing

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Might be the fan in the PSU fella... also, 50 C isn't a temp to worry about with that CPU, and I reckon the GPU would be fine also... over 70 things get a bit scary...

Edit: now come and play CSS you cnuts:)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Might be the fan in the PSU fella...

Thats what I thought at first, however after checking I've found that it really is the PSU fan making the noise, seems to be going wayyy fast than normal, thus making the different noise, The only reason for this I can think of is that the PSU is pumping more power through to the fan than normal, though I really dont know whats up with it :S

and oi! stop talking about CS :( every time I play and my pc crashes in it I get closer to dumping the pc in the bin :p

Dukat

Resident Freddy
GeForce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was right all along, my PC really does have aids :(

Tried a few more fixes today, including 'nv4loopfix', but it still hasnt solved it, hoping the PSU will do the trick when it gets here!

EDIT: rofl, theres even a forum setup specifically for this problem - nv4_disp.dll

Kryten

Old Cow.
That "bug" has absolutely no effect or cause on your system whatsoever - that was in reference only and solely to the much maligned Geforce FX series.

Still standing by original diagnosis :)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
That "bug" has absolutely no effect or cause on your system whatsoever - that was in reference only and solely to the much maligned Geforce FX series.

Still standing by original diagnosis :)

I hope you're right, really I do, and perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean here but how can you say that bug has nothing to do with whats going on with me when the symptoms are identical?

People on the nv4_disp forums are reporting the same with cards like the 8800GTX, so surely if something like that can encounter these errors then its possible for this thing to happen on mine?

Like I say, I really do hope you're right, the Akasa psu gets here on tuesday and I really hope that once that goes in things will be right as rain, but I'm just trying to cover all the bases and ensure that any other possible problem has been covered in the mean while.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Throddy buy's computers from PC World and mostly ones with "Advent" or "Packard Bell" on the front ;)

Insults aside (the above is probably not true) - although the symptoms are indeed similar, what you see on the screen can be the effect of many causes. The GeforceFX issues were down to the drivers being used at the time, so unless you're using *very* old drivers which wouldn't even support your current card, this issue is easily ruled out.
I had a Geforce4 ti4200 with exactly the same symptoms, and after much trial and error I narrowed the problem down to the hardware itself - not sure what, but *soemthing* on the Geforce was failing, only in certain games at certain points. Thankfully the folks at Creative were very helpful, let me return the card after they sent a replacement, and they got back to me saying the issue was down to a dodgy batch of capacitors - something the average techy or PC repair shop wouldn't be able to pick up - the card otherwise seemed fine in other less demanding games and benchmarked with no problems.

I'm not a gambling man, but obviously Throddy is happy enough to give away his hard grovelled cash ;) - it's always difficult to correctly diagnose these issues remotely from a description posted on a forum, but generally there's a good amount of experience on here and hopefully it turns out well. Just don't forget us when it works ;)

If it doesn't - on the bright side, you've got a decent power supply, and you'd be within your rights to return the card as suspected faulty.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Throddy buy's computers from PC World and mostly ones with "Advent" or "Packard Bell" on the front

Insults aside (the above is probably not true) - although the symptoms are indeed similar, what you see on the screen can be the effect of many causes. The GeforceFX issues were down to the drivers being used at the time, so unless you're using *very* old drivers which wouldn't even support your current card, this issue is easily ruled out.
I had a Geforce4 ti4200 with exactly the same symptoms, and after much trial and error I narrowed the problem down to the hardware itself - not sure what, but *soemthing* on the Geforce was failing, only in certain games at certain points. Thankfully the folks at Creative were very helpful, let me return the card after they sent a replacement, and they got back to me saying the issue was down to a dodgy batch of capacitors - something the average techy or PC repair shop wouldn't be able to pick up - the card otherwise seemed fine in other less demanding games and benchmarked with no problems.

I'm not a gambling man, but obviously Throddy is happy enough to give away his hard grovelled cash - it's always difficult to correctly diagnose these issues remotely from a description posted on a forum, but generally there's a good amount of experience on here and hopefully it turns out well. Just don't forget us when it works

If it doesn't - on the bright side, you've got a decent power supply, and you'd be within your rights to return the card as suspected faulty.

Aye, I agree its not easy trying to tell these things without actually being infront of the PC.

I'm leaning more towards thinking that the problem lies either in the PSU as you've said, the motherboard, or a software error.

The only reason this nv4_disp thing is concerning me a little is because there seems to be no end of posts on forums and messageboards about it, some of them are recent. It sounds very much like some sort of incompatibility or outdated drivers.

I've shy'd away from thinking about updating the chipset/bios drivers because I really dont know what I'm doing with these things, and feel that I'm liable to end up with a pc that wont boot if I mess around with it, however as this problem progresses I'm thinking more and more about it and wondering if this would fix it or not.

I have to admit, that the PC is an Advent.

Done laughing? ok :) then I'll carry on, yea, its an advent, it was bought for me by my parents a few birthdays back and they really didnt know about Pc world computers.

So far I've changed the RAM, the hard drive, the soudcard, the DVD drives the PSU and the video card, while all that remains from the original spec is the motherboard/CPU.

This is yet another reason that I'm pondering the fact that this is the motherboards crappiness coming out.

I've got to say that I know next to nothing about changing motherboards, how complex can this be? is it something to consider doing if the PSU doesnt work?

Yet more money being spent though, and tbh I'm not even sure how long I'll end up using this bloody pc after i finally get it working again :\

anyways, cheers again for the advice being given here, much appreciated :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Well the motherboard isn't entirely difficult - you've already got experience in sorting out most of it - once all the peripheral hardware is removed, pop the screws out from the board and et voila. The processor is a little more fiddling - straight swap normally but you need to ensure it is appropriately cooled - and a lot of people rarely realise the importance of using decent thermal compound.

But, should that time come, you'll know where to come for help doing it. However MSI motherboards aren't *that* bad. Certainly a lot worse around.
I might slag Advent off a little but they do tend to use hardware that is easily changed and/or upgraded, rather than the likes of compaq, dell etc who like to use proprietary parts which cost a fortune.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
MSI have aids and no mistake :eek:

The only worse boards are PC Chips boards, man I miss those :D

If the PSU doesn't sort it a mobo swap has to be considered.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Throddy buy's computers from PC World and mostly ones with "Advent" or "Packard Bell" on the front ;)

I'm not a gambling man, but obviously Throddy is happy enough to give away his hard grovelled cash ;) - it's always difficult to correctly diagnose these issues remotely from a description posted on a forum, but generally there's a good amount of experience on here and hopefully it turns out well. Just don't forget us when it works ;)

Who do you think YOU are exactly charlie-big-spud?

I built my PC myself, like many before. It has an Asus mobo with a conroe cpu and nice Geil ram and a 7900GTO. When I got to building it I realised that the old PSU (a 350w job that had been going for YEARS I might add) didnt have the right connector for the new mobo, so rather than wait another day I popped up to the dreaded PC World and bought a PSU there. Sure Id rather of had a Akasa or whatever, but this was the only 500w one they had, a Jeantech or something. So I bought it anyway, bunged it in the pc and ran it. Ive had no problems with it at all.

Pikey said at the start of this thread that he'd had the same problem before he bought his new video card/psu, which is another reason that makes me suspect its something else. I hope Im wrong, becuase unlike me my mate Pikey is a young lad who hasnt nescessarily got loads of money to chuck at a problem.

Hard grovelled cash? What the fuck do you mean by that? Perhaps you'd like to explain by pm before we fall right out my son?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Throd ... not sure what's crawled up yer bottom mate, but it was a joke - believe it or not a sense of humour does live in my grumpy arsed body somewhere. Absolutely no offence meant at any point - I had merely assumed you'd have taken it in the humour it was intended - in which case, accept my apologies if offended.

Yoda - if you've nothing useful to bring or no advice to give, don't post - not everybody agrees and chipping in like one of the tosspots shouting "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!" when someone disagrees about something is just showing an inability to be adult about a situation.

Point is - I'm fairly sure it's going to be a PSU issue - Throddy isn't, simple as. We all make mistakes and at the end of the day, most importantly, we're all trying to help. It's just very difficult when we're all sat several tens of miles away from the offending computer and its user.

I often bleet on about the importance of a decent power supply as it is the single part of the whole system that has the most say in it's running state, and similarly has the most power to destroy every other component. I can't stress it enough.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Guys,

I had this exact same problem. Under normal conditions my SLI'ed 7800GTOs would purr happily along.

Once WoW was fired up instability would quickly come to me. I could play for 20 mins and the game would crash, an hour and the pc would reboot or <random time> I get a BSOD.

Luckily I burnt the power supply out, it was a el-cheapo poundstretcher one. So as mentioned before bought a huge monster (cost over £80) but I am confident that it will happily serve my pr0n without fear of meltdown.

For a while it did seem to stop the problems but then they came back. I have managed to totally fix the problem by installing rivatuner and overriding the automatic fan controls on the GPU's themselves.

At idle both fans run at 30% the moment ANY 3d app starts the fans are now configured to run at 100%. Since then not a problem.

Try rivatuner and override the fan settings. Its free and amazingly good software.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Try rivatuner and override the fan settings. Its free and amazingly good software.

Yea, been using this to mess around with the fast-write settings which didnt seem to be present on my BIOS, will have a look at the fan settings and let you know how I get on :)

cheers

EDIT: hmm... they already seem to be set to 100% in all events :( so cant change anything much there.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Are they greyed? You have to check the box to override the settings. (Apply fan settings at startup)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Are they greyed? You have to check the box to override the settings. (Apply fan settings at startup)

Nope all seem active and movable, if i click the box under it, it just says that on restart it will automatically set the fan to 100% in all situations

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
ok,

so move them all to 100%, click ok and try CS

G

somethings getting too hot, try running the card at a lower resolution, and 16bit gfx (rather than true color).

Install the gfx driver that came with your new gfx card (the one on the cd in the box)

change the gfx settings to have no FSAA and no AS filtering

if that doesnt work....

get a better chip fan and a good heat sink, or try it with the side off and a desk fan blowing onto the gfx card.

its heat, not the PSU (if you have one over 400W)

putting in a half decent gfx card in a POS pc thats mostly not meant to be upgraded is bad munkey, same thign goes for a uber PSW repalceing the old 250 POS one, but all that said, ITS HEAT related

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
try it with the side off and a desk fan blowing onto the gfx card.

what he said. if it is a hardware fault it will lock up regardless. this way you can prove it.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
somethings getting too hot, try running the card at a lower resolution, and 16bit gfx (rather than true color).

Install the gfx driver that came with your new gfx card (the one on the cd in the box)

change the gfx settings to have no FSAA and no AS filtering

if that doesnt work....

get a better chip fan and a good heat sink, or try it with the side off and a desk fan blowing onto the gfx card.

its heat, not the PSU (if you have one over 400W)

putting in a half decent gfx card in a POS pc thats mostly not meant to be upgraded is bad munkey, same thign goes for a uber PSW repalceing the old 250 POS one, but all that said, ITS HEAT related

I've always been running with the side of my case off for quite a while now, seeing as I've been swapping hardware in and out trying to sort the problem,

Even so, I tried pointing a pedastal fan on full blast into the case as suggested, the temperature lowered by a couple of degrees, but the PC still crashed as normal on opening CS (didnt even manage to get into a server).

When you say POS pc - what do you mean? the motherboard? The rest of the PC is actually pretty nice, if you mean its the motherboard, then would it be worth upgrading? could you recommend one to upgrade to that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

I dont know if its overheating that is doing it - I've had overheating problems before when my CPU heatsink was full of dust and crap - PC was shutting down in a similar but slightly different manner to the problem I have atm.

Physcially the PC doesnt seem to get all that hot - I've not seen temperatures higher than 55*C. Also setting the GFX card fan to be at 100% didnt seem to help :(

I wish it was overheating - this would make the problem so much easier to solve, but so far it doesnt seem to be.

btw - new PSU gets here tomorow, I'm really kinda worried its not going to solve this problem :( I have no idea wtf to do after that - motherboard upgrades are beginning to get a little technical for me tbh :\

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I was always told that taking the side off the case fucks up the air flow and actually makes things hotter. Right or wrong?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Depends on the case - if its a decent case, then yes taking the side off will make cooling worse.
If it's an el-cheapo case or something provided by Advent/Packard Bell/HP or other similar brands, taking the side off will probably help - most of them don't actually conform to ATX standards and theres little/no airflow anyway.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
The new PSU came this morning, just tried it out in CS and there doesnt seem to be any difference at all :mad:

Kryten

Old Cow.
Fucksocks.
I'd therefore suspect something along the lines of the motherboard then.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Fucksocks.
I'd therefore suspect something along the lines of the motherboard then.

Reet, this is where my knowledge sorta kinda stops :\

I know what the motherboard does and all that guff, I just havent exactly done anything with them before - I know 'in thoery' what to do - pull all the hardward off, power supply lines and IDE cables, then unscrew the board, but I'm almost completely ignorant of what the complexities are about specifications and requirements for new boards, I also dont really know how taking the CPU out works, and putting it back on seems similarly difficult :S

I kinda caved in today and called a local pc repair guy - he's sorted my pc out before so I think he knows more or less what hes doing (more than me anyway) so hopefully he'll beable to take a look and suggest something, and if it comes to replacing the mobo, then i'll probably just pay him to do it rather than risk making a bodge job of it myself.

Are there any things to look out for in terms of motherboard spec? any good/cheap ones to go for? etc?

Cheers for the advice btw, even if the akasa hasnt solved the problem, it looks fucking ace in my pc! :D

Kryten

Old Cow.
No, we all forget you said anything in the first place ;)

As I keep saying, it's so, so difficult to judge these things when the item isn't in front of you - and even then it's not entirely easy sometimes.

Before you go parting with any more cash, get this chap to have a look at it anyway.

But in case it turns out to be the motherboard - what sort of system are you running? AMD/Intel? and what socket?
(socket A = 32bit AMD or low sempron)
(socket 754 = low 64bit AMD athlon/sempron)
(socket 478 = low intel P4 up to around 3.4ghz normally)
(socket 775 = higher end intel P4 and dual core/Core2Duo)

Generally the best bet is Asus unless you're on an older socket A system, then you can't get better than Abit's kit. If you're on a socket 775 intel system, Gigabyte are excellent value with great performance and Asus again for the higher end.

Let us know what you've got and we can work from there, but get in touch with this chap - let's hope it's something more simple.

Now I can't remember if we asked if you had re-installed windows or anything - this might even be a software issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom