Gainward 7800GS Freezing

throdgrain

FH is my second home
What you kept saying was buy another psu, the one you've got is shit and cheap. Same as everyone else did.
Now you're saying spend more random money! Get in ! :p

dysfunction

FH is my second home
lol throd!

Oh and there are Socket 939 and Socket AM2 about as well the latter being the latest for AMD chips that have basicly replaced the 939. And Also a socket F for AMD Opteron and high-end AMD Athlon 64 FX which has replaced the 940 socket.

For Intel there are also Sockets 370(Celeron & PIII), 479 (celeronM), M (intel core), 603 & 604 (Xeon), LGA 771 (Xeon core 2).

Kryten

Old Cow.
It was 3 in the morning - aye forgot 939 and AM2. Been up with the merry squits all night :(

I didn't say spend more money - I suggested getting someone local to look at it before spending more money. And I wasn't saying the same thing everyone else was - everyone else was saying the same thing I was! ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
In my opinion I think you should get a mobo and just get the guy to fit it rather than asking him to find the problem. Will be much cheaper Pikey. Like I said last night have a look on Ebay. Shadowing Kryten go for Asus, Gigabyte, Abit in that order. The older Abits do like fast ram though, so if it ain't fast maybe try to find Asus or Gigabyte.

In all fairness I did say mobo if aint PSU, I also said at least he will have a good PSU if it isn't that.

Basically I was right and throd and kryten were wrong, I shall now be known as the lord of Throdkryt.

G

but he said "other" less graphically intensive games ran ok and the pc didnt crash. How cvan that be the mobo, unless the northbridge is fucked

you have tried reinstalling steam etc havn't you. (deleting all the content etc and starting again) or even deleting clientregistry.blob, it could actually just be your copy of steam is fubar.

anyway, get a new mobo, they are about £30, get the IT repair bloke you know to sort it out.

let us know wtf happenes

Dukat

Resident Freddy
but he said "other" less graphically intensive games ran ok and the pc didnt crash.

Only Diablo 2 runs ok - Supreme commander, Armed Assault and CS all crash, and I have had one or two crashes on D2 in the last week.

Will let you know how it goes !

Kryten

Old Cow.
Different games use different technologies, and stress different parts of your PC/components in different ways. This is always a pain in the arse to prove or diagnose, but very true nevertheless.
It's especially true these days because more and more software is pushed out for release with some truely shoddy code in place, meaning unnecessary stress for your poor computer.

But as was said, this is a whole batch of games.

Dukat : have you tried reinstalling windows? (Or even trying a recovery installation?)

Trem : the lord of throdkryt? I'm not even going to ask what that entails... ;)

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Reinstalled windows last week, still had the same problems :( PC is in bits at home atm so posting from work, seems that the manufacturers have given up and have said "send the card back over the reseller", whatever that means.

I've been looking into a new motherboard and RAM, and possibly a CPU too, however after being told to send the card back, I pondering perhaps trying to get a credit note from the reseller, and buying a PCIe card/mobo and starting again.

All depends what the reseller says though.

btw throd/trem: I'll be putting my old card back in when I get back home, so I should be about for matches (albeit on the shitty old system) from tonight onwards, sorry this has dragged on a bit, been right annoying!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Yeah we missed you chum.

Shame you can't get your PC up to me, or the new bits, I would sort it out for you.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
News just in!

After three days of testing by a friend who knows his stuff, the hard drive decided to call it a day and died.

I've had the card tested in another, completely seperate PC, and in my pc with another motherboard swapped in, all had no effect.

I can now safely say I think its the card.

I've been emailing the manufacturer and reseller incase of this eventuality, the manufacturer has offered an RMA if the reseller is a bitch, the reseller has said that a refund is a "possibility" and to send the card back to them anyway -at the least i think they will test it and do me a replacement if thier tests reach the same conclusion as me.

Having had to pay out for another hard drive, I've just about had enough.

If I get shit from the reseller, I'll call the £200 a loss and buy a new, decent Mobo/CPU/RAM, this time a PCIe one, and will then beable to buy a PCIe mid/high-end gfx card that will (hopefully) run without problems.

so basically i will have ended up replacing-

Motherboard
RAM
CPU
PSU(twice)
GFX card(twice)
Hard drive

And will have learnt a very valuable lesson:

I FUCKING HATE THE WORLD :mad:

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Poor ole pikey...you could have bought a brand new PC with all this bother

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Just an update - I sent the card back to the reseller, and apparently there isnt anything wrong with it, but they've offered to give me a new card in the same price range instead - so I've gone for an 8800gts 320mb PCIe card - will buy a PCIe mobo when it gets here and replace my ram while I'm at it, so hopefully after all of this I should end up with something that is atleast half useable :)

cheers again for all the help though! no doubt i'll be complaining about 8800gts problems next! oh well! :D

dysfunction

FH is my second home
so after all that you would have been better off buying a PC from Mesh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom