Fuck :/

Gray

FH is my second home
So, ive been having PC-Withdrawl-Symptoms lately, since Saturday (Or sunday?) ive had no fucking PC :/.

On saturday night i took my Hard Drive out of my PC to get some "things" put onto it from a mate. The case i had was shite, it was all crushed up into a small space, IDE Cables everywhere, and worst of all, the way my motherboard was designed (Abit NF7-S) the memory was sitting right next to the Hard Drive (Nearly touching). So i had to take out all 3 sticks of memory to get this HardDrive out. I did so with no problem(s).

Get what i want from my mate, come home, its 11pm, i have work at 7am, im tired so i just rush:

I put the Hard Drive in, and then the fucking IDE cables start to get in the road, bare in mind im stuck under a table, hardly any light (apart from the small torch in my hand), next minute, babum! the batteries in my torch die "awww fuck". So im basically fitting this memory blind now, 2 sets go in fine (DIMM3/2) but theres a bit of a struggle to get the memory in, but avast! i get it in. All sorted i think, soon i'll be playing my Xbox games (i mean, uh whatever..).

I turn power on, i smell burning.. FUCK! MY PCS ON FIRE! , i quickly turn off my pc and check, nothing is on fire exactly just the smell of burning-money. Its coming from the Hard Drive area. So, thinking its the Hard Drive i take out the memory again, as soon as i take out the first (DIMM 1) the smell is extremely strong. I see a scorch mark on the memory pin, and think "oh... not that bad <uhhh>". At the time because it was dark i couldnt see inside the case, but i pulled it all out and went into better lighting area. Thats when i seen the scorch mark on the memory bank. Fuck fuck fuck! Ive destroyed the memory bank! But as long as i still have a working mobo for the moment its ok....

I try it with only the 2banks of memory, upon turning it on i get power, but nothing is happening on my screen (Just blinking light). Now, it was about 12am, i go to bed, but its on my mind so i get back up and have another go. To cut a long story short i thought the mobo was working // but wasnt. The lights where lighting up, and fans where fanning up, but just nothing on the screen. To do a test i took out all the memory to see if anything woulf happen - I got beeps, meaning to me there was still life in the board. I take it to a friends house and he has it a few days, and tells me nope, its deffo dead.

So, this motherboard which i had for just 1month has died a terrible death. I bought it from Aria, but i didnt even bother ringing them up asking for a replacement, because it was my fault, and there was no getting out of that.

So i decide im gonna go to Manchester to goto Aria in person to buy the stuff (Because i wasnt fucking about with the internet at a mates and plus would have been dearer/longer for delivery).

I take Autoroute around but he wont install it, he says some website is good (streetmaps or somethin cant remember) so he prints off directions to Aria. It all looked suprisingly small in comparison to AR but still...

I get on the M62 (Im from Widnes) and head upto Manchester. I aint been to manchester on my own - and never driving. The last time i went was about a year ago to goto the Bowlers Computer Show. So anyway, it mentions something about M'chester Airport, so at first sign of seeing the sign on the M'way i take it. Little did i know the nightmare was about to begin. This turnoff sent me onto the M57, fuck! Im on my way to fucking Wales!! Im now shitting myself but keep my mind clear and just follow the airport signs... Nothing to it really... im still safe... for the moment. I ask some Car Park attendant when i finally get there, he says "ah yea ah yea! just follow signs it easy the M-62 is that way. So i exit the airport and follow signs to get onto the M62. After about an hour i think i finally get into Manchester...

... The wrong fucking END of manchester, but manchester none the less. Im trying to find the Trafford Centre now (Only place i know in Manchester barely) but theres absolutely no signs to it in this area, im in an unknown part of town and im shittin it :/.

I ask several people along the way, some sent me into the right direction which was good, most of the time i went too far ahead and had to turn around and find someone else to ask closer to home. Anyway, i almost end up in Moss Side. Now, ive heard of this place on the news too many times, as soon as i see the sign i slam on and U-Turn right back round. No way am i going down there i think to myself :/.

Then! After about 2hrs! I find Stockport Road! (Its the main road next to Aria) what no one failed to tell me was that this fuckint road was about 6miles long (if not longer) so i had to fuckin search up and down until i hit a McDonalds. I go in grab a bite and talk to the staff who seem interested in where im from and where i wanna go, they really are helpful! They send me in the right direction, with excellent directions this time naming places "Its under a railway bridge, and theres big gates near it". Good enough for me! Only problem was there was about 3 places which have similiar enough things...

I hit some lights, getting pissed off seriously, when all of a sudden i look up and see the sign for the Aria!!!!!!11111111111111 As i say, the journey didnt start till 12ish, i didnt find it until 4:30 :/ Fucking ARGH!

I was fucking jumping for joy in my car i bet the Mancs thought i was fuckin crazy, so anyway¬!!!11 I get all my parts and talk to the staff...

I manage to buy:

120gb Hard Drive, 1ghz DDR 3200 memory, Case, and a power supply, oh! not forgetting the mobo (same model as before). All in all comes to £300. Not too bad i suppose...

I get it all fitted up and didnt have to reinstall XP thankfully because its the same mobo...

I just noticed mind, the guy who fitted my PC hasnt fitted the Power Supply on right, hes put 1screw in it and bent the top of the case so no more screws can get in... gah :/... gonna have to sort that tomorrow...

But im back! and this has been one major fucking writeup... Jeeeesus :/

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Ditch the mate. He seems absolutely RESPONSIBLE for everything that goes wrong around you :)

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Well, what a plethora of crap you had to go through to actually get what you needed, on the other hand:

"120gb Hard Drive, 1ghz DDR 3200 memory, Case, and a power supply, oh! not forgetting the mobo (same model as before). All in all comes to £300. Not too bad i suppose..."

That aint half bad, i mean 5 needed parts all fairly decent for £300 seems a really nice price. :D

I'm not suprised how long it took to find aria mind, speaking from previous experiance going through manchester it is infact a fucking nightmare to find ANYTHING there, also i hate the manc accent because i can hardly understand it. :p

I guess from now on you will refrain from fitting things in the dark eh? ;)
But im wondering why were there no lights and you were fitting it under a stable? :eeK7:
I mean wouldnt you fit it on top of the table with the light on so you could see what you were doing? :p

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
pffft aria's easy to find, just don't go and get stupidly lost by jumpin off at the first sign you see :p

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Theres something distinctive about burning siliicon isnt there.

After a mis spend youth burning resistors and ic's etc you get to know it so you fill with dread when you smell it in your pc :/

I once had a similar startup problem, turned out to be my mobo had fried my processor and i had to buy a new one.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Next time ask for directions to longsight market, it's the market around the corner and more people will know where the hell it is. :)

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
I learned the hardway not to rush even simple tasks like sticking the memory in the hardway.

In fact I managed to do exactly the same thing, I managed to fry the cpu as well :)

Luckily the whole lot still had 20 days of onsite warranty left (on a 2 year warranty mind :p) so I took the offending ram out hid the boxes and phoned the computer supplier up and played really blonde.

Got a new mobo and an upgraded cpu for the price of 256mb of RAM :)

edit: and for some reason all Manchester's pc shops seem to be in the shit end of town, must be all the students near by I suppose.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Tenko said:
edit: and for some reason all Manchester's pc shops seem to be in the shit end of town, must be all the students near by I suppose.
*looks at microdirect next door*

:eek:

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
My god you don't half waffle some shit. I mean really, that could and should have been 10 times shorter.

"I'm a retard that gets lost easy." would do?

Gray

FH is my second home
Well mister Swift, i believe its up to me to write it, and upto you to read it. If you dont like it, dont read it?

Anyway,

Yeah Tenko, i was a bit lucky apparently for not frying the Motherboard, but im wondering if i could quite possibly swindle my way into getting something out of the duffed up mobo at Aria...

I cant tell em i fried it by incorrectly adding hardware, but if by some pure luck i do manage to win em over, im just gonna end up with a replacement mobo... which funnily enough.. i already now have :/

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Gray said:
Well mister Swift, i believe its up to me to write it, and upto you to read it. If you dont like it, dont read it?

How can I not like it without having read it? The story is fine, it's just the mountains of waffle and irrelevant shite we have to wade through to get to the end result...

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
WB Gray

I will agree that aria is a twat to find. My mate works for them and i wen to mac to see him and also got very very lost ! :(

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Never been to Manachester. I once got lost in Bradford though. There's a Little Germany there. Made me smile. :D

dave

Fledgling Freddie
sounds like u jammed the memory modules in the wrong way. i managed to do that once and it fried/burnt the memory and the motherboard slots

Gray

FH is my second home
yea.. im still quite amazed that the memory still works :D I just scraped off the smoke marks and it worked fine... Just theres a terrible stink of singe

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
CHeck that as the mem may be partially damaged.

When I did that everything seemed fine except that when I bench marked the PC it ran slower than before, even with a faster CPU and some games crashed rather alot.

A memory check found that the offending mem stick (originally stuffed in back to front :rolleyes: ) was knackered and the pc went faster after I took it out.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
How can you jamb them in the wrong way, they just cant fit that way without putting knotches in them.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
SawTooTH said:
How can you jamb them in the wrong way, they just cant fit that way without putting knotches in them.

Thats what I thought so when it appeared to have gone in I didn't check. But trust me, if there's one thing in life I know you can ram anything in, anywhere if you just ram it in hard enough.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Next time you want to go into Manchester, stay on the M62, don't turn off. It changes into the M602, which will take you into the heart of Manc land.

If you want the Trafford Centre, come off the M62 onto the M60, heading anti-clockwise (Manchester South and East). You must have passed the Trafford Centre on your way to the airport, its visible on your left as you cross over Barton Bridge (a fecking huge great big bridge).

Don't worry about Moss Side, its nothing like as bad as some people think.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Hi Trem. Valencia was cool. Lucky how it sort of co-incided with meh ban!

Gray

FH is my second home
Yeah the last time (i correctly) went into Manchester, we went over a huge viaduct type bridge, im presuming thats the one youre talkin about.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
omigod! Abuse of the three letter posting rule to full effect! BAN FFS!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
We may get alot more interesting threads now Tomz0r is back, as well as the usual total pooh threads he also posts :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I denounce that statement as an untruth, begone foul demon!

PS Glad to see the old avatar back, now if I can only find my Davros avatar :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom