FTL- Faster Then Light.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I picked this up yesterday after reading some entirely rubbish piece in PC Gamer (it made me curious wtf was the game meant to be about?) £6.29 on steam atm, it is awesome in every way!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
DUNGEON MASTER BY ftl WAS THE BEST ON THE AMIGA AND TH ATARI ST :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Freakin made my day, check crew list;

Butters!.jpg

Amazing adventures of the kid continue (y)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
its bloody hard, and suffers from a totally random factor as to wether or not you can finish it when you get to the end

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Hard... hmm not so much hard as occasionally frustrating, but not in a really bad way, more in a way that makes you come back for more.

I've gotten to the last sector, but not actually beaten the game yet.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
its bloody hard, and suffers from a totally random factor as to wether or not you can finish it when you get to the end

The random factor makes it fun, but it doesn't make it end all of finishing the game. I've lost all but one of my crew and just now got the final battle almost complete. Almost though, so more work to be done.

On normal ofcourse, 'cause easy is jsut not in my vocabulary ;)

Dying is half the fun.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
F*ck f*cking motherf*ck sh*t f*ck titty f*cking f*ck. I'm going to bed.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Stupid mistake made me jump the wrong way and i couldn't catch the bugger. Time for a re-try ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I killed it!!!!

Big spoiler:
And just after I put my last missile into it's stinking hull, to deprive it of it's last bar of health it FUCKED OFF. It "managed" to pull an FTL jump out of it's arse. And I was too late to catch back up to it to fight it again.

I lived. I killed it. It stillkilled my base.

/sob :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
They could so easily make a 2nd one, with the starcontrol 2 formula;

- More stuff, remove nothing.
- Don't change the game mechanic(timelimit)
- Bigger universe.
- PVP (should be easy ;)
- More customization.

Done.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yesterday, great ship, tried to get the slug ship into my precious hands...don't go into that fight unprepared.

Also if you want a challenge, try to survive with the B type engi ship.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
What have they done to the B type engi? I almost got to the end with the A type yesterday and it wasn't too bad.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I actually would like to see a non time limited, more free play mode, appeals to me more.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
old Scouse will have a spaceship in his garden in a couple of weeks according to the hours he puts into this!

"I just leave it on" ;)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
got this after reading the thread and remembering i saw a preview in a gamer mag about it a while ago.

Its ACE!

Sector three is my best so far, but it's early doors.

Also... how does one go about unlocking more ships? do i have to finish it?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Some are easy, others not so much. The clue is in the shiplist, otherwise it would be spoiling ;)

If you want i can give a few spoilers though.

Clocked 60 hours of -actual- gameplay just now...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ok. I'm epic :)

Proof and list of achievements:
Played through from beginning to end, on "Normal" meeting the following conditions:
A) Without firing a single shot
B) Unlocking the Zoltan Cruiser by spreading the pacifist message
C) Responding to every distress call
D) Achieving "pacifict run" (and something else) 'cause of this
E) Selling all my weapons at the first opportunity
F) Getting to the last battle against the NME mothership and surviving for fucking AGES :)

Click on thumbnail for pictoral proof...
winning.jpg

Yes. I play too much :(

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I've been getting to sector 5 and 6 regularly but always end up dying. Prior to my last play through, best effort was a super shielded Engi drone boat with Ion canons and a pew pew laser. But then I ended up fighting by a sun with solar flares and my whole ship went up in flames and my crew died. Ironic since I could easily defeat the rebel ships that spawn when you get caught.

Last run was as a Stealth boat, but I got no weapon upgrades at all. So squared off the final boss with shitty starter weapons and a bottom level drone. Lasted a good 10 minutes, got him to about 50% but the day was done.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I wish someone would make a game like this for android, I would buy it in a second!

Vae

Resident Freddy
I wish someone would make a game like this for android, I would buy it in a second!
Given that some indie games (Bastion, World of Goo, Sword & Sorcery) have been subsequently released on iOS it could be feasible. Baldurs Gate enhanced is coming our on PC, iOS and Android in November so I get the feeling this might be a growing pattern for the games which are not technically demanding and would run on a tablet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fucking cheating cheating bastard fucking whyIoughttta...
So, I'm having fun with the teleporter. You get waaaay more loot if you leave the ship intact.

I decide that I'm going to take the final ship intact. Kill all the crew. Big ship, it be mine, it can't teleport away if it's got no crew.

I've got a shit-hot boarding team. Everything's going fine until the last but-one sector when I lose my skilled-up mantis, but nae mind. I'm still going to do this. So, I teleport into each of his gun-rooms, kill the guy and disable the weapon.

It makes for a much more relaxing final encounter - not having to deal with being shot at. The lack of my mantis is making it difficult though, I need to keep him from cloaking but his crew are playing tag-team with my teleported guys and I'm out of health missiles. So I have to kill the ship. The first time.

Bots prove a problem the second time round, but again, much more relaxing with no guns - and it's much easier to get his guns this time as I've already killed the crew in the room - so I do 'em two at a time :)

Still, I can't quite kill the crew off the way I'd like. I manage to kill one guy with my hull-gun just before it warps out for the last time.

So, here it is, the final final battle. I disable his two remaining guns. All that he's got left is his super-weapon - and I've got a Defence Drone Mk II and 51% dodge with Kirk at the helm and Spock at my engines (Uhura "mans" the guns) - so unless he gets *very* lucky his uber-weapon can't penetrate my full-strength shields. I send in what's left of my crack squad to kill his two remaining crew-members. A rock. Who can't quite pull it off.

A standoff.

So I do the manly thing and pull Kirk away from the helm to lend the rock a hand. And they finish the last two crew members off! Success!! :D

And a "super intelligent AI takes over" :eek:

I bring Kirk back, leaving the rock to pummel his shields. But there's a hole in his hull in the shield room and Rockboy's losing health quick. In the meantime the artificial intelligence is magically healing his guns that I'd previously smashed to bits with real hands and the shields are coming back online as I've had to pull the rock out. I figure maybe the AI lives in the helm, so I smash that to bits whilst pummelling away.

It doesn't work. His magically fixed weapons manage to take my shields down by one just before uber-wep fires, and hits me with its last volley. I explode. In a sorta-victorious manner :)

:)

Last edited:

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i did it with maxed out stealth field, a mark2 defence drone and missiles, trying to shoot down that shield is pointless, double shoot the drone control to drop his defence.. keep 1 missile on weaps other on drone room, done

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom