Front? Back? Is there really a difference?

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
No Wij, this really is a tech question.

My dad has just bought a Seagate external HHD. It states in the instructions that it must be plugged into a USB port on the back of the PCD. if plugged into a front one then it may not work properly.

Apparently it can also work from a hub, but preferably a powered one.

I never knew there was any difference between front and back USB ports, is there really one?

Also, it is a powered drive, why would it need a powered USB hub when the puny power it could draw would always be less than that available from it's own power supply?

RB

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
If an older tower/mobo the front usb ports can sometimes be USB 1.0 rather than USB 2.0.

I think if they just say don't plug it into the front then it takes out the risk of it not working for that reason.

I guess thats what they mean.

Try it and see, it won't cause any damage.....well maybe a slight explosion but nothing more than that.

Chilly

Balls of steel
usb 2 works on usb 1, itl just go at usb1 speeds which suck ass.

Trem

Not always it doesn't.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
No Trem's right, (not about toilet roll obviously), but it is USB2 at the front. The only thing I can think is that the back ports tend to be a part of the mobo and the front ports just wired to it. I'm sure they are still powered though.

RB

Chilly

Balls of steel
Trem said:
Not always it doesn't.
Surely if its a valid, tested and compliant usb2.0 device it has to work on the older 1.0 and 1.1 buses, although you dont see 1.0 any more.

Trem

Had a few things at work that will not work with USB 1.0, namely external hard drives, I am actually going off what has and hasnt worked for us and not definite knowledge.

The front USB on a tower will still go to the mobo RB.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Trem said:
The front USB on a tower will still go to the mobo RB.

Yeah, didn't make myself clear. I know that they are wired to the mobo. It's just that the ones at the back are actually a physical part of the mobo. Slight difference I know, just trying to think of anything at all.

RB

Trem

Did it work at the front or was there an explosion?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
far as i know, some pcs with usb ports at the front arnt supplied juice from the psu properly. which is why seagate and preety much any other company have that wriiten in the manuals

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Ah right, thanks for that Yaka.

Any idea why an item with its own power supply would need to be able to draw power from the USB port?

RB

Trem

It isn't to do with the PSU imo.

Its to do with the onboard chipset/port and whether it is going to be USB 1.0 or 2.0.

Honestly I think that is the reasoning.

Trem

Lies!!

I am wrong..........unless its about sandwiches/bog roll/bacon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom