From LFD creators - EVOLVE

Poag

m00?
So yeah its pretty good. Had a 29 minute game where the monster was impossible to find, he never scared birds so we could only tell where he was once the birds found the corpse. But even so it came down to dropship timers to get the 3 dead players back in, i was medic and kept chasing him around tranqing him to keep him tracked while the others came back.

Dropship timer hit 0 and i got downed, rest fo tam deployed on his head and dropped him...tough game :p

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So yeah its pretty good. Had a 29 minute game where the monster was impossible to find, he never scared birds so we could only tell where he was once the birds found the corpse. But even so it came down to dropship timers to get the 3 dead players back in, i was medic and kept chasing him around tranqing him to keep him tracked while the others came back.

Dropship timer hit 0 and i got downed, rest fo tam deployed on his head and dropped him...tough game :p
It's no Left 4 Dead, I just got my 1st go as the monster and it's a fucking nightmare. There's no satisfaction to having to chomp other monsters to grow and if all 4 get you then it's far too easy to take major damage.

I'm only finding the support class any fun, been pissing around with streaming to twitch as well so if anyone wants to see me get smashed in the face a bunch:

View: http://youtu.be/M0kXMcM5Svw

Poag

m00?
Looks like your youtube has been closed?

Medic alot fo fun, so is the track really, teams relying on your to do a good job.

Seen to many medics who just want to snipe and are dead weight tot he team.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Looks like your youtube has been closed?

Medic alot fo fun, so is the track really, teams relying on your to do a good job.

Seen to many medics who just want to snipe and are dead weight tot he team.
Yeah, dicks. Three uploads, all this from Twitch. Got some bullshit about violation.

Poag

m00?
Like a L4D zombie the thread rises.

Rrrgh

So Evolve, as this was the last free playtime prior to release, what are peoples thoughts?

TBH i like the game, its one of those games where if one person is bad then everything becomes much harder, like a traper who can't/wont dome. Or a medic who just wants to snipe all the time.

But i'm not sure if its worth the £35 price tag...Also it seems a bit pay to win. Once you have an Abe trapper, the monster loses, 9/10. Oh ane Abe is unlocked with pre purchase?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
As I was saying yesterday to a few people, its a nice game but it will suffer from the same thing L4D did - that is terrible public games, if you play with friends it'll be heaps of fun, if you play with random people it won't be very fun, especially against an experienced monster player.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
it will suffer from the same thing L4D did - that is terrible public games
Ragers was the biggest ballache for L4D. I can take being in stupid teams and/or stupid opposing teams and bad teamwork etc. However, being half an hour in and then the other team ragequitting en masse and being kicked back to the lobby was just annoying as shit.

I'd have liked valve to implement a CS:GO competetive style ragequit timer system - if you rage, you can't rejoin a game for 15 minutes. If you rage again that increases exponentially - so constant ragers get a big slap whilst it's not debilitating for occasional leavers.

That'd force people into thinking about teamwork and being civil to each other...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Ragers was the biggest ballache for L4D. I can take being in stupid teams and/or stupid opposing teams and bad teamwork etc. However, being half an hour in and then the other team ragequitting en masse and being kicked back to the lobby was just annoying as shit.

I'd have liked valve to implement a CS:GO competetive style ragequit timer system - if you rage, you can't rejoin a game for 15 minutes. If you rage again that increases exponentially - so constant ragers get a big slap whilst it's not debilitating for occasional leavers.

That'd force people into thinking about teamwork and being civil to each other...

Problem with Evolve is its different than L4D in the sense you can't just move as a group and pew pew stuff, each team member has a specific job that has to work in perfect synergy with other group mates, trapper needs to put up an arena to stop the monster from escaping, medic generally has to tranq the monster at the same moment to stop it out running the arena going up.

Everyone has a job, that doesn't work too well in random parties, especially when you don't have luxury of taking your time, the longer you take = harder the monster becomes.

That's why it'll suffer in public games.

If you have 4 other people to play it with however it has the right formula for a lolfest.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I think that's kinda it's problem, in l4d you could still pull off a win if someone was a bit shit so publics held up, this just turns into a ball ache if someone is no good. Same for playing as monster, if you're a bit rubbish (hands up I'm rubbish) you just get trounced but you've nothing to dig you out once you slip into the hole.

It's not awful but it's no l4d and the dlc attention it's generating won't help.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Aye its not a terrible game, its graphically pleasing and gameplay wise its not bad either. I'll probably pick it up in the sale, won't pay full price for it though given the obvious issues with it.

Poag

m00?
Its a good game. I just dont feel its worth £35 atm, + the dlc prices.

As BO, gonna wait for a sale and pick it up along with some others. I think 2-3 person groups is where the game will shine and be a fair amount of fun.

Its a shame, if they had priced it at £25 i think i would have gotten it on pre order...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Is it multiplayer only? I only really played LFD for a quick 20 minute games here and there on my own.

As a rule I don't do pugs and all my friends are either console peasants or not into shooters.

Poag

m00?
Pretty much. Two training missions in the Betas.

There also a singleplayer Evacuation mode, but afaik the AI isn't amazeballs.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I don't see this game having the longevity of Left for Dead. May buy it when the price comes down.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Well it's based on co operation on the human side and to get that in ransoms is rare. So I think it's always going to fail. Unless you play in pre makes. Which most people don't.

Poag

m00?
Its a real love it or hate it style game.

After umming and arring for a while i picked it up yesterday. I've had a few PUGs that were really good. Fair banter between matches and the matches themselves went well, with the humans communicating and working well together.
Conversely i've had probably an equal number of not so awesome ones where it was totally silent, and a handful of super dire games with the medic sniping and not healing.

This was all during Alpha/Beta phases so i expect some of the non team players wont have purchased the game (price, didn't win during beta etc) so hopefully the community have improved. Once i get online i shall report in :)

Poag

m00?
Sadly i only got time for 2 games last night. The first i got lumped with a group of 4 so i got to be the monster, le yawn. Second was over fairly quickly so didn't get to see the quality of my team, although the medic seemed to be shit, didn't jet pack away, but did heal...so no conclusions just yet.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I just didn't bother with it in the end, I might pick it up in a sale when its £10 or something but as it stands I just feel that it'd be shit without playing with mates.

Poag

m00?
So i've been playing off and on over the weekend.

So far so good. I mostly pug due to lack of overlapping hours with mates. I've had some exceptionally good groups, lots of comms, people working in pairs to hunt the monster.
But i've had people who i'm not convinced would be able to dress themselves in the morning, wandering off on their own, fighting every random mob on the map, walking up to marked Megamouths and getting nom'd. Getting nom'd and saying nothing until the "they are dead" message comes up.

Played a couple of 2-3 person group games, some of my mates are newbs at it so spent a fair amount of the match helping them with mechanics etc, but still enjoyed and hopefully and investment in the future.

I've unlocked all the characters now, i basically power gamed two at a time just doing enough to unlock the next then moving on. Abe is by far the best tracker when played well, and when you can hit a tiny monster miles away with the tracking dart.

Skirmish is a bit of a silly mode, it only contains hunt mode and doesn't break into the other (better imo) modes that are available. Rescue is a fairly fun race against the monster, nest where the monster can send NPC Stage 1 monsters against you, although many dont follow up the Stage1 monster attack with their own attack, leaving you free to break more eggs, i dont think people get the full tactical aspect of this mode yet.

The AI games are a mix between rage inducing all knowing and the monster being so good at sneaking around the map you never see it.
EG- the monster will lock on to Trappers first if its under a dome, unless the trapper is furthest away in which case it takes medic. Or if undomed will break any harpoons instantly. Its not unfun but it can be a bit annoying with its super awareness.

The "DLC situation" is a joke. Its no different to any Boarderlands game at launch. Yes they have 'DLC' but its all skins, skins skins skins. There is a season pass, but then most games have season passes at launch.
I've heard there are going to be multiple 'seasons' of DLC, which i've not read from TR as confirmed yet but sounds likely, i'll have to see how much DLC is in each season before i pass judgement there yet.
They've set it up well from a story POV that they can rope other planets in without much trouble, i also envisage a 'alien' style map onboard one of the big ships as being alot of fun.

All in all, it gets a Poag rating of "Tentative Buy" is you enjoy this style of game, theres lots to do and with players running the enemy every match is different.

As always i'll be playing from 5-7pm tonight on Steam, if anyone wants to watch for a bit add me (in my FH profile) and request a watch :) i'll also field any questions.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I have it on PS4. awesome game. well worth a purchase.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
This put itself firmly in the "steam sale" category when nobody could decipher the pre orders.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
*bump*

So, anyone thinking of giving this another try now it's gone free to play?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I might give it a poke.. hopefully they've made a lot of improvements across the board because it was shit pre-f2p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom