Friar or Merc for serious RvR

L

Lumikki

I've been wondering this lately.. which would be more wanted in RvR? Friar seems to be nice and group friendly class, offering plenty to a RvR group, correct? How about mercs then? Pure damage and Determination?

Discuss please, which one would you rather take for a good RvR group. (trying to figure out which one to level now)

:)

xx

I

ilum

Both are good :)

Friar advantages:
- Resist buffs
- Ressurect
- Tertiary healer
- Haste buff to kill even faster when needed
- Base buffs
- Better self defense

Mercenary advantages:
- More hitpoints
- Cheap Purge, IP
- Determination (which is quite a huge advantage)

I suppose the damage is about equal, a Mercenary may hit a bit harder on the average, but the Friar has the haste buff to even it out.

I guess Friar has more things to play with while a Mercenary is quite straight-forward and simple.

F

Flesh

Varies, both are very groupable classes in rvr.
Friars solo in pve easier then mercs though.

S

Sharma

There isnt enough friars? :p

Was plenty when i left alb :)

C

chimaira

FOTM mercs are scum.

/who merc shows 50+ nowadays lol.

L

Lumikki

Very hard choice.. my Friar is 34 and Merc is 21, Determination just seems so appealing..

xx

O

old.mattshanes

Prevent flight is even better xD

Infact i am not sure really,both are extremely good,determination really shows at lv3+.

L

Lumikki

Sycho, is it true that you use 2 spd 2.6 swords? :)

xx

S

stroopwafel

friar:
"omfg why didn't you heal!"
"ffs heal!"
"rezz me rezz me rezz me!"

merc:
" "

O

old.mattshanes

Originally posted by Lumikki
Sycho, is it true that you use 2 spd 2.6 swords? :)

xx

Nope only in pve.

4.1 and 3.2 i use.

L

Lumikki

That's what I thought, someone just told me to use 2.6 because you do ( the crafter I bought weapons from ) but it didn't make much sense :)

And thanks for all the replies, not any closer on making my decision but still!! :)

xx

A

Adelle

Nothing wrong with using 2 x 2.6 swords!

<hugs Fangs>

O

old.mattshanes

Heh i will say it again,dw chance DOESN'T change even if you have different speed weaps.... although with 2.6 you will hit more often,if you use speed such as mine you will have more dps with haste.Only thing is if you do not dual swing you will get the delay of mainhand,but if you have high dualist reflexes ra like in my case it's not an issue.:)

Fast weaps can be good though it's just a matter of taste,i find them better for pve.

Still i can't decide really what swords to use,have fun with whatever class you choose:D

L

Lumikki

:) I think I will concentrate on leveling the Merc now for a while, not going to forget my friar since it's so much fun to play but Determination > all! (Haven't played any class that has it so I feel like trying)

xx

T

The Real Redi

Heh, the only people who don't like mercs are bitter folk who have happened to be jumped by one - specially hunters and the like.

Charge is fantastic for winding up those Hunters when they blast off with the speed thingemy, Flurry is beautiful, as the amount of times IP can be ridden over (hit them to about 10%, they about to hit the IP button, and you flurry their arse :great: )

I don't think ill bother with IP tell the truth - If i'm going to die, i'm usually going to die quickly. I'm concentrating my points into Determination, MoPain and MoParry at the mo... :)

A

AbPoon

Youll find in alot of fights even with good healers sometimes youll have to shoot ip before they get time to catch up ^^

And personally what would i take?

Well the guild here is formed from certain people playing set classes, i pretty much had a choice to play a Merc, Frier or Arms, i decided to play the Arms but it was close call between arms and frier, frier gives resist buffs + a few other goodies but the resists the frier gives arnt really the main ones in rvr that you need and playing a tanking class that doesnt have access to det and cheap purge and ip is extreamly painfull so here is where the Merc/Arms win hands down, i cant stress to you how good Det 3/4 really is.

The reason i didnt play the Merc was because the grp needed soldiers barricade and also someone with a large slow weapon to front load on support and also because i hate the look of Alb chain ;)

But back onto topic Merc>>>>>>>>>Frier in a fg, but the Merc pop seems to be exploading like the Berserker did so you might end up joining a crowd of other merc's.

S

stroopwafel

when you DO chose friar, make a lot of shieldtank friends
because most people pick you as their #1 target :) (after the sorc dies, but that isnt a challenge for the enemy :p)

C

Capricorn

friar > everyone else

you get to wear a dress, and get to make staff gags all day long \o\

D

denser

My merc dinged 50 about 6 weeks ago. Obviously I am a FOTM and scum.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, until you start paying for peoples accounts, then y'all can tell them what to play and do.

C

Cush

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Prevent flight is even better xD

Infact i am not sure really,both are extremely good,determination really shows at lv3+.

all i do when i think of prevent flight is :( :( :( :( :( :(

imo this ra needs a big nerf..

O

old.linnet

Originally posted by denser
My merc dinged 50 about 6 weeks ago. Obviously I am a FOTM and scum.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, until you start paying for peoples accounts, then y'all can tell them what to play and do.

Don't let it get to you. Some people don't seem to understand why others would want to play classes that are fun, or get more fun stuff added to them. (And yeah, fun does often include being good/ survivable at RvR.)

A lot of it (I reckon) is just sour grapes from people who would rather everyone else played support for them :clap:

F

faderullan

When did merc become fotm afterall?

When i made mine all laughed at me and said they sucked

C

chimaira

Originally posted by faderullan
When did merc become fotm afterall?

When i made mine all laughed at me and said they sucked

yes. same here. make zerker mercs suck etc.
Im happy I didnt listen.

FOTM mercs are teh s00k

O

old.mattshanes

I made sycho june last year,was 20 mercs if that online:)

86 days played on him now the guy is getting old:p

O

old.Downanael

Originally posted by chimaira
FOTM mercs are scum.

/who merc shows 50+ nowadays lol.

And on alb/exc there's never over 35 mercs online :D about 10 of them are lvl 50

D

Demonblade

Heh aye when did this happen? When i made khen, the saracen thrust merc, on Uk release day, /who merc never ever showed more than 15, mercs were hated in groups and i pretty much soloed to 44. The entire VN boards laughed at me and called me a gimp, said saracen was the worst choice and thrust was crap. Now theres more thrusters than slashers lol. <Admittedly i was a hideously slow leveller 2 years to 50 lmao>

Anyways, Lumi hun if u decide to level ur merc i have a bunch of stuff in my vault u can have i think.

Mercs are great, specially when u get a good group, and we are very good in PvE, although not as good as a friar. Fun to play, variety of styles, nice RA's and some nice new tweaks to the class in recent patches.

Also for advice talk to sycho, he loves himself and is full of crap sometimes but he does know whats he talking about lol /hug Sycho

-Khen

Users who are viewing this thread