FreeView+(?) and TVs..

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Right, so me Grandma is getting sick of having to miss Corro when she wants to make a cup of tea.

So I want to get her the ability to record and pause/play shows - not the extended internet stuff, as she does not have access to the internet.

I was looking at this.

Freeview Play | Freeview

If she had this and had no internet access would she still have access to record/pause functions, and more importantly, is there a device that would be cheaper than this to do it?

Also, any 32 inch tv suggestions.

ta :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That would work as catch-up, its basically just a portal to view iplayer, 4od etc from what I can tell.

She would also need min 2mb (But higher for streaming, I would say) internets.

And a recorder if she wants to pause live TV, set things to record etc, £100-£150 one off hit by the looks of it.

Edit, as for 32 inch TV, whatever Tesco have would do I guess, if she doesn't want to spend a load.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Don't a lot of TV's these days have the capability to record if you plug in a HDD?

Both our Sonys do, must be quite common?

Gwadien

Don't a lot of TV's these days have the capability to record if you plug in a HDD?

Both our Sonys do, must be quite common?

Yeah but she's 90 years old, so it would have to be extremely simple to understand.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Get YouView on TalkTalk. It sorted out all this when I was looking for something similar for my Mum. Gives you the missing internet and any show in the guide will open up on the right player if she misses something.

Gwadien

Get YouView on TalkTalk. It sorted out all this when I was looking for something similar for my Mum. Gives you the missing internet and any show in the guide will open up on the right player if she misses something.

Internet isn't an option :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right, so me Grandma is getting sick of having to miss Corro when she wants to make a cup of tea.

So I want to get her the ability to record and pause/play shows - not the extended internet stuff, as she does not have access to the internet.

I was looking at this.

Freeview Play | Freeview

If she had this and had no internet access would she still have access to record/pause functions, and more importantly, is there a device that would be cheaper than this to do it?

Also, any 32 inch tv suggestions.

ta :)

Get her a smaller TV for the kitchen.

Gwadien

Freeview play needs it though?

That's what I'm saying - I remember having a sky where you could record and rewind but not download, without the internet.

That is essentially what I want.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Tell her to stop fucking about and make tea before it starts or in the break.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yeah but she's 90 years old, so it would have to be extremely simple to understand.

My tv can take a usb stick or external hdd. The remote has a pause and play etc buttons on it. I just press pause and the tv starts recording to the usb drive. You then press play again and it carries on from where you paused it. That is surely easy enough. Press stop to stop recording.

Check if her tv does the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom