FreeNAS software

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ok so I now have my HP Proliant Microserver!

Ive decided to put FreeNAS on as the OS.
I see you can run this from a USB stick without actually installing on a HDD.

Does anyone know if this works ok or is it better to use a hdd?

I would like to have all 4 drive bays for data storage instead of 3 so booting from a USB stick sounds appealing but not if it runs too slowly.

The alternative is to try and move the OS hdd into the optical drive bay....but this looks to be a fiddly job!

Any suggestions?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have not used the software so I cannot comment on that but the HD in the Drive bay is easy enough. You can buy a mounting kit from ebay for not a lot and then you just need an IDE to SATA power adapter and you are done. I am not sure I would fancy an OS on a memory stick.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok so I now have my HP Proliant Microserver!

Ive decided to put FreeNAS on as the OS.
I see you can run this from a USB stick without actually installing on a HDD.

Does anyone know if this works ok or is it better to use a hdd?

I would like to have all 4 drive bays for data storage instead of 3 so booting from a USB stick sounds appealing but not if it runs too slowly.

The alternative is to try and move the OS hdd into the optical drive bay....but this looks to be a fiddly job!

Any suggestions?
You cannot install FreeNAS, it has to run off a USB stick or similar. It's worked perfectly on my HP N36L Microserver for over a year and won't affect your loading times.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
You cannot install FreeNAS, it has to run off a USB stick or similar. It's worked perfectly on my HP N36L Microserver for over a year and won't affect your loading times.

Indeed, I believe it loads itself in to a RAM drive once booted anyway. I have 4 disks in my microserver all as data disks

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Excellent. That's good to hear!

I'll just buy a decent USB stick then and a few HDD!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What is wrong??

I boot up the HP Proliant Microserver. I can access the BIOS fine but after that has booted up the screen looks like this:

20130630_200055.jpg

Anyone know what the problem is? Faulty Machine?
There are no beeps or anything!

:cry:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah looks that way mate, FreeNAS doesn't boot a GUI its totally text based. Does it go straight into that or do you get anything that says "FreeNAS" after the BIOS?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would try a different memory stick with Free NAS reinstalled. If the BIOS shows up without a graphics glitch it would suggest the driver used by Free NAS being the issue wouldn't it? If you can throw a Windows CD at it and see if the graphics glitch happens with that too.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Should be standard low end though, I'd imagine probably VGA. It's worth trying with something else but that's seriously not right, it should look like a terminal.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ive not had a chance to install anything yet. All I get is that screen after the initial splash screen and bios checks...even without trying to install anything.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
You don't have to install anything dysfunction if FreeNAS is loaded onto the USB stick properly it should just boot (kinda like a recovery CD).

dysfunction

FH is my second home
MYstIC G said:
You don't have to install anything dysfunction if FreeNAS is loaded onto the USB stick properly it should just boot (kinda like a recovery CD).

Yes that's kind of what I meant.

Simply put the server is broken then if im getting that green screen.

I wonder why I can get into the bios without this green screen thing.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes that's kind of what I meant.

Simply put the server is broken then if im getting that green screen.

I wonder why I can get into the bios without this green screen thing.
No idea mate, have you tried booting anything else on it? Essentially it's nothing more than a regular PC. Perhaps try flashing Ubuntu onto your USB stick and see if that boots?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
MYstIC G said:
No idea mate, have you tried booting anything else on it? Essentially it's nothing more than a regular PC. Perhaps try flashing Ubuntu onto your USB stick and see if that boots?

Just tried a different monitor cable and it works now! Woohoo!

Chilly

Balls of steel
Also, you dont need a display. It connects to your network with dhcp and exposes itself on a standard port/password so you can get into the gui and set it up via a remote browser.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Chilly said:
Also, you dont need a display. It connects to your network with dhcp and exposes itself on a standard port/password so you can get into the gui and set it up via a remote browser.

You what now?

How do I do that then if I have not yet setup FreeNAS?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
FreeNAS sets itself up mate.

Plug in the USB, hook up the network cable, hook up the power, turn it on.

If you have a monitor connected, that's a bonus because when it's finished booting it will give you a menu (like 1-11) under which it will say something like:

Access the admin console via
http://192.168.10.10

All you then have to do is whack that address into the browser on your main PC and follow the documentation on the FreeNAS website.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
MYstIC G said:
FreeNAS sets itself up mate.

Plug in the USB, hook up the network cable, hook up the power, turn it on.

If you have a monitor connected, that's a bonus because when it's finished booting it will give you a menu (like 1-11) under which it will say something like:

Access the admin console via
http://192.168.10.10

All you then have to do is whack that address into the browser on your main PC and follow the documentation on the FreeNAS website.

Yes I saw it booting to the 1-11 options last night...but didn't go further as it was late.

But if I don't have a monitor attached how do I get the ip address?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I personally just dug it out of my broadband router admin panel.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I personally just dug it out of my broadband router admin panel.

Same, my HH lists all the devices it can see so I just grabbed it from that (and told the HH to always give it the same IP)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Excellent got the IP! No more messing about with an extra monitor!

Now what do I do?
:cautious:

dysfunction

FH is my second home
get onto the freenas forum and look at the setup thread.

Although I thought I would try a youtube video and its got all b0rked so I'm having to rewrite the image file to the USB stick!
:unsure:

Chilly

Balls of steel
Right I'm on track but I'm tying to create a ZFS Mirror volume but I don't get the ZFS Volume Manager as shown here:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Volumes#ZFS_Volume_Manager

Why is that? I have FreeNAS 8.3.1 so it should have that there...

Could it be that i only have 2 HDD drives?
create one and then the manager appears, I think.

ah, but I'm on an older release so my menu might look slightly different to yours. Get onto IRC if you like? #freddyshouse on quakenet.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Thanks but I think I managed to do it. Not had a chance to look at it tonight though.

Starman

Part of the furniture
Shame I'm looking to sell my N36L and x4 2TB HDDs setup given my recent N40L and x5 4TB setup :)

But yes I was able to run it for over a year via USB and now the same setup on my new server. Works lovely and is stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom