FreeBSD

soulthief

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
You can prefix any command that sends into a buffer, i.e. y(ank), d(elete), c(hange) with quote followed by a letter, to distinguish between individual buffers

Nice one indeed.

Unbelievable. Vi just gets better and better :clap:

Athan

Resident Freddy
My god, this has to be the first time the Editor War From Hell has been mentioned and it's not turned into a flamefest, and in fact has most people not only agreeing on vi, but on vim to boot!

Yup, I'm another vim user. Probably half of what I know was learnt by pure accident due to forgetting to enter insert mode before typing (multi-tasking and losing track of the state in my head).

Wil, if you're wanting to do general cut and paste in a console environment then use screen. ctrl-a ESC, use hjkl a la original vi movement, space to mark, move again, space again -> copied, ctrl-a ctrl-] -> paste. Of course you do still have to run all the 'apps' you want to paste between in the same screen instance then, rather than using virtual consoles, well unless you make use of the excellent 'screen -x' across them :).

Oh, and if you like BX but are fucked off with the lack of help, and the icky scripting, try Irssi, it rocks. Can take a little setting up to get looking/feeling like BX, but well worth it IMO. If nothing else it lets you then script in a vaguely sensible language (perl).

-Ath

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom