Free Firewalls

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I've been using Norton Internet Security for the last few years, whilst it has served me well I feel it has now become a bit of a resource drain and the Parental Control is not as good as it once was.

I want to replace it on my PC first, I only need the Anti Virus and Firewall, I can use Grisoft AVG for the free AV, but I need recommendations for a free Firewall, one that can block by program & port.

TIA

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Currently using Kerio Personal Firewall here, but that's been pulled recently, so you need summat else, the current favorite still seem to be Zone Alarm (now owned by Checkpoint).

HTH, Phlash

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Agnitum Outpost 1.0 was always pretty good (I think you can still download it, even though the paid-for version 2.x is now their main product).

Very powerful rules and filtering setup that I quite like for a time, though it did seem to have issues with Windows XP's user-switching (which is why I eventually stopped using it). The Pro version is was only about £20, too, should you find you need the extra features later.

BullDog(UK)

Fledgling Freddie
Kerio Personal Firewall is what I'm using and it works well. Regarding ZoneAlarm, I have read somewhere that an intruder can force ZA to close down by overloading a specific port, can't verify that as I've never used ZA.

Are you behind a Router ?

BullDog(UK)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I'm more concerned with blocking certain programs from accessing the internet, rather than port attacks.

Will

/bin/su
ZoneAlarm allows you to control access on a program basis, so it is good for that. It doesn't allow port control though afaik. If I wanted that sort of control, I'd use some sort of dedicated firewall box, personally.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Dedicated firewalls/routers are most useful for port control; Zone Alarm is good for program control. Outpost (as suggested by Ben) is a pretty good bet for both, although if you use the Pro version keep in mind that they'll want to charge you on a subscription basis if you want to get upgrades to the latest version.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I use Zone Alarm and find it superb. If it does close down by "accident" it warns you about it and restarts imeddiately afterwards.

I'm very happy with the program control and feel I have prevented many unwanted attackes from malicious websites....

Clown

Part of the furniture
Is it worth using a software firewall behind a router firewall?

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Clown said:
Is it worth using a software firewall behind a router firewall?

Yes and no. I noticed zero incursions in the zone alarm logs when I installed my netgear wireless NAT router with firewall over a period of about 3 weeks - zone alarm usually reports attempted incursion every few minutes (largely network spammage) - so now I dont use a software fw. However, my previous NAT router (NAT only - no dedicated FW) did once let through an attack that zonalarm blocked - it was a windows 2000 server specific attack - so no worries there.

So stuff CAN get through NAT - but you need to worry about what can get out if you pickup a trojan or other malware. I prefer good AV and a little common sense and I dont use a software fw.....

Clown

Part of the furniture
My line of thinking was that it would stop outgoing traffic. I use a lot of stolen goods. :)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Clown said:
My line of thinking was that it would stop outgoing traffic. I use a lot of stolen goods. :)

Ahh...sir...may I suggest peeguardian 2. It will, however, scare the crap out of you when you see who you have been sharing with. NAT firewalls, unless you have an ip block list, are of no use for preventing that sort of intrusion. It has a spyware block function too and will also block web traffic, as needed.

Its not rock solid tho...its only as good as its blocklist.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Software firewalls are bollocks.

Ive tested every one thats been mentioned in this thread at some point or other, and dumped it due to various apps that dont work properly with them. ZoneAlarm deserves a special mention for having utterly clueless support staff (I expect tech support via email to get to someone with more of a clue than your average call centre muppet, how silly of me)

The firewall builtin to XP does the job of controlling whats apps can/cant have network access, and any worthwhile application that breaks with this enabled gets fixed. Until the same can be said for the third-party firewalls sticking with the MS version is far less hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom