Free CDRW software

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Hi there

I just installed a new oem cdrw (philips) into the in-law's 'silver surfer' pc and am having trouble finding some user-friendly writing software to install. Any recommendations or offers of suitable d/l software please guys?
tia Cham

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Chameleon

If you only want simple software, and you're using Windows XP, then you can use XP's built in burning software (developed with Roxio). Simply copy files to the CD drive as you could with any other drive, and then right-click the drive and choose 'Write these files to CD'. A wizard will then guide you through the rest of process. If you need to burn ISO image files to a CD, then you can also use ISO Recorder Power Toy (unofficial, but mentioned by Microsoft in their support pages).

Kind Regards

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Problem is none of the in-built CD software with XP includes the "drag and drop" file volume offered by DirectCD or InCD, etc. Unless you use these a CD-RW can only be erase entirely not file-by-file.

You need Roxio's Easy CD Creator software to get DirectCD, which is why whenever I buy a CD-RW I make sure it is included :)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:
Problem is none of the in-built CD software with XP includes the "drag and drop" file volume offered by DirectCD or InCD, etc. Unless you use these a CD-RW can only be erase entirely not file-by-file.

While this is true, CDs do allow for writing another file to the CD with the same name as an existing file, effectively masking the existing one. This does unfortunately mean that the hidden file still takes up space on the CD, but periodic wiping (so to speak) will ensure that you don't fall foul of this.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Additionally, although not an immediate solution: Mount Rainer CD-RW (the type of writing used by inCD) is planned to be introduced natively to Windows in the forseeable future, probably as a service pack enhancement to Windows XP.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Shovel said:
Additionally, although not an immediate solution: Mount Rainer CD-RW (the type of writing used by inCD) is planned to be introduced natively to Windows in the forseeable future, probably as a service pack enhancement to Windows XP.

That's going to upset a lot of people seeing as Roxio Easy CD seems to come bundled with most popular systems (Dell, HP, etc) and most Retail CD-RW drives !

I see nothing wrong with DirectCD, used it extensively on both CD and DVD writeable media, no problem.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
I hvae to say that most of the CD writers I've bought have come with Nero, which is ace, so long as you're not looking for DirectCD like functionality.

It does practically everything, but probably isn't so user-friendly. (There are some wizards, but I steer well clear of them :) )

I went off Adaptec CD software when it was still Adaptec. DirectCD and CD Creator 4 were buggy as hell and blue-screened no end of 98 PCs I had to fix. Has it improved since then?

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the replies :)
The drive is a philips ..... which I have had major problems with before, but figured they'd have sorted it by now ... as if!
There is no driver for the CD rom, only a flash utility to upgrade the firmware, which I have. Gah that bloody Philips webby!!! I have also installed, just to be sure, the aspi layer. The drive appears to be recognised as a cdrw, but the windows in-built writing function fails, as does Fireburner.
I read more than one forum post (via google search) of people experiencing this same problem, but upon installing Nero6, all was well - the drive was recognised by Nero and writing worked a treat. Therefore I'm a bit stuck with needing nero (or presumably easyCD would do) to even determine if the drive is ok ....... although I'll need something half decent if the 'olds-in-law' are gonna get to grips with making their own cd's.
Think I've sourced a cheap Nero now, so I just hope it fixes the problem.

Kryten

Old Cow.
No real point to make except that many Roxio products, *especially* since Windows XP's have all been labelled "official manufacturers of high quality coasters since 1997" by everyone in the trade.

Nero is lovely, simple, and comes free with most OEM drives. Ask around for anyone with a non-hardware locked version of Nero and nick it ;)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Kryten said:
No real point to make except that many Roxio products, *especially* since Windows XP's have all been labelled "official manufacturers of high quality coasters since 1997" by everyone in the trade.

Nero is lovely, simple, and comes free with most OEM drives. Ask around for anyone with a non-hardware locked version of Nero and nick it ;)

I've yet to make a coaster using Roxio on XP, and every PC or Drive I've seen comes with it.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Pass. To be fair, i've not used any recent versions. They are (were) extremely sensetive to other programs running simultaneously.

Kit i've had from liteon, aopen, pioneer, tdk all came with Nero, never seen any advertised as having Roxio in. Perhaps i'll try looking harder :)

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
I 'got hold' of a copy of the latest nero 5 ....... but the cd drive was still not recognised! Fortunately Nero6 found it and all seems to be working well.

Does anyone know if there are some kind of driver type files that nero uses to recognise particular cd roms? Prior to nero6 solving the problem, the drive was not detected by other cd writing software, nor was I able to write cd's using the integrated windows thingy ..... which makes me think it was down to some kind of file list that nero6 installed which recognised this particular rom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom