Franz Ferdinand

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
These are a Glasgow based band who I first heard on the radio about a month ago. Since I got back to Blighty I've seen the vid for their new single "Take Me Out" which is due out soon and quite liked it.

At first I thought they were a bit of a Strokes clone (shudder) but grabbed more of their stuff and am quite impressed. Nothing earth shattering but a good solid band.

Anyone else heard em? They've been on Later with Jools Holland and are on the NME Brats tour I think.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I'd agree pretty much 100% with your summation of them. Nothing special, but nothing horrid about them.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Stuart Murdoch of Belle & Sebastian fame has been raving about them for a few months now, and after a while i gave in and bought their first single - 'Darts of Pleasure' It's very good. They remind me a bit of late seventies british post punk, a little like DEVO only not as complicated.

I also had the pleasure of seeing them support B&S in Norwich, last December..they were fantastic, very tight, very well rehearsed (possibly even slightly choreographed moves) and the drummer played like a fucking nutter.

I like their new 'un as well.

Good fun they are.

As stubyrulz saying they are shit, should be all you people need to be assured they are worth checking out.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
:clap:

I had the great pleasure of seeing them live recently. They were supporting Hot Hot Heat in Manchester (who, I should stress, I did not pay to see, it was a press pass). Frankly, they blew HHH away.

When I thought about it afterwards, I came to the conclusion that Franz are the sort of band that really should be the 'pop stars' of our time. It's bouncy and they're 'have a laugh' performers, but it's genuinely creative and compelling. It makes for a great show and the songs are excellent. It's not a revolution, but we've got enough bands trying to do that already.

Essentially, what I'm saying to everyone is, go buy everything you can find by this band, and if you get the chance to see them live, go - you wont regret it. Actually, even if you don't like the music, the guitarist looks like a floppy-hair era Declan Donnelly, which should provide comedic value for all at the very least.

In their own words (though not their own spelling, ahem): Ich Heisse superfantastisch (I can never deceifer the line that comes after that, mind).

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Haven't heard anything by them yet but will be seeing them at Rock City in Feb as part of the NME Awards tour. People are saying a lot of positive things so I'm looking forward to it.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Shovel said:
:clap:
In their own words (though not their own spelling, ahem): Ich Heisse superfantastisch (I can never deceifer the line that comes after that, mind).

A very turbonegro line if I might say so. Maybe I'll give em a spin.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Heh i loved it when i first heard it, the start isnt exactly great i must say but i really like the nice THUMP THUMP beat that gets going a short bit into the song, the video is quite intresting too. :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Like 'em (interesting name as well) - on the other hand, I also like Snow Patrol so what do I know?

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
their new single is doing really well in the charts, Prelim mid week posistions show it at number 2...go and buy it!!

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Sweeeet. <aloof>Of course the charts are a mindless exercise in corperate control influenced only by Children</aloof> *Buys 10*

mank!

Part of the furniture
Wow, I'm really really quite liking Darts of Pleasure and Take Me Out. Is there an album out and is it worth getting?

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Not yet, it's out in Feb and the answer to your last question is Yes, Probably.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Besides the two tracks mank mentioned I'm enjoying Shopping For Blood.

Got a couple more too that are ok but not as good.

mank!

Part of the furniture
maxi said:
Not yet, it's out in Feb and the answer to your last question is Yes, Probably.
Marvellous. I'll have to pre-order it to go with my shiny Cure boxset.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
They were on CDUK this morning. Excellent performance as ever. Though the drummer has grown himself a rather shite 'tache. Dec (as I will forever call him) was amusing as ever though.

misspentlines

Fledgling Freddie
why do you want franz ferdinad to do really well? why spoil the magic? dont you enjoy listening to really good bands that no one other than people like yourself have heard of? franz ferdiand are gonna be in every crappy magazine and on every teeny music show from now on *sigh* another band ruined, fame/over exposure is the death of most decent music...

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
misspentlines said:
why do you want franz ferdinad to do really well? why spoil the magic? dont you enjoy listening to really good bands that no one other than people like yourself have heard of? franz ferdiand are gonna be in every crappy magazine and on every teeny music show from now on *sigh* another band ruined, fame/over exposure is the death of most decent music...

Lol. Don't you realise how stereotyped you sound? You remind me of the cardigan wearing Blur fans who bemoaned the fact that 13 yr old girlies started attending gigs and they cried and poured out their venom in letters to the NME and other rags.

Yeah. We must be dumb fucks wanting a band to do well so they continue to be funded by their label and make more albums.

Music is music. Music snobbery is for ***** who need to get out more. Strictly in my opinion of course natch.

Do you really think they want to sell a few hundred singles and tour the toilets of the UK for the rest of their lives so they can "keep it real"?

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
misspentlines said:

I think the problem here is your ego tbh :)

Wanting a band to do well surely means that the person wants them to get the recognition and praise that they deserve. Anyone who doesn't listen to music because they are "gonna be in every crappy magazine" needs a head examination.

I for one listen to music because i like the sound of it and not because some pretentious idiot has branded it "good" music.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
misspentlines said:
Rubbish. I want them to be massive. I have no snobbery to speak of regarding them. I get to say "I saw them live before they were huge" which will do fine for my ego.

Frankly, based on said live show, they deserve to be massive. They are natural pop stars (<music snob>in the proper sense of the word</music snob>) and they will shine. Maybe they'll disappear up their arses, maybe they already have, but the music is great and needs to be heard.
The charts don't matter, but they are still a part of the music world in which we live and it's extremely satisfying to have proper bands hit the top.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
misspentlines said:

What a crock, its people like you who give me a bad name. I don't need the help thanks!

The fact is, The Franz haven't sold out, they are who they are, they haven't changed to BECOME big, it's a natural thing. They are a pop band, they just happen to be a very good one.

FF will not be ruined by stardom, just as they won't be ruined by foppish snobs like yourself.

misspentlines

Fledgling Freddie
a band can do well and sell records without being plastered over our tv screens, i know loads of bands that have done really well without selling out, from experience bands that get over exposed just turn shit anyway. i so pose i just dont like to see decent bands used by the media, i'd rather a a band feel exciting and magical.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
But FF are exciting and magically, they just happen to be popular. It's not that they've "sold out" to make mainstream music, it's that the mainstream has decided that they rather like it.

You can't change who FF are just because of some romantic ideas about what the music world should really be like.

misspentlines

Fledgling Freddie
i just prefer to listen to bands that havent had the media treatment or bands that 10 year olds wouldnt want to listen to.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
misspentlines said:
i just prefer to listen to bands that havent had the media treatment or bands that 10 year olds wouldnt want to listen to.

Why?

Because it makes you a better person?!

misspentlines

Fledgling Freddie
i just care about music i so pose, and enjoy listening to intresting bands that me and my friends can have proper conversations about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom