News Frankie boyle

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
well hes a bigot, a cretin, and hes not funny
racist? possibly

just a cunt really

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Generally speaking, I thought his appearances on Mock the Week were funnier than his stand-up gigs on Channel 4.

He's a comic. Its an act ! If he decorated his house in Nazi memorabilia and joined the EDL / BNP, fine, racist, but here? Pff...I think the right decision was reached. Otherwise every comic would be in the dock.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
His biggest problem is that there is no line, really fucking great comedy mind but no quality control. Definately not racist though, his comedy is provoking but he always makes the racists look like fucking tools.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Personally I always think of him as being like Bernard Manning, to me neither of them are that funny.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Personally I always think of him as being like Bernard Manning, to me neither of them are that funny.
doesnt matter as long as they arnt breaking the law .. which he clearly wasnt

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He is as funny as cancer and no one will remember him in 5 years

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
If you need to upset people to be funny then you are doing it wrong.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
In your opinion... Sometimes you need to upset people to get through to them they are being twats in my opinion

eksdee

FH is my second home
Really fucking irritates me when people say 'in your opinion' like it's some kind of insightful and thoughtful put down. Of course it's his fucking opinion, he stated himself therefore it's inherently implied that is what he thinks.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Frankie Boyle has never upset me.

He upsets uppity touchy arses who I probably wouldn't get along with anyway. Old ladies, christians, people who can't hear a joke about the disabled etc.

His comedy is far from "offensive" IMO. It's just slightly off middle-of-the-line mainstream slightly risque japery, nothing more...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
In your opinion... Sometimes you need to upset people to get through to them they are being twats in my opinion

Yeah, Jordan's disabled kid is such a twat for being disabled! I see what you mean now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah, Jordan's disabled kid is such a twat for being disabled! I see what you mean now.

Do you think Mr Boyle, when confronted in real life with a disabled person in distress would:

A) Make fun of them
B) Help them

??

Making an off-colour joke about the disabled doesn't make you a cunt - the reason it is funny is because it is wrong - and Frankie Boyle knows this. He's only trying, and succeeding, to make us laugh.

It doesn't mean he actually hates disabled people, ffs.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Do you think Mr Boyle, when confronted in real life with a disabled person in distress would:

A) Make fun of them
B) Help them

??

Making an off-colour joke about the disabled doesn't make you a cunt - the reason it is funny is because it is wrong - and Frankie Boyle knows this. He's only trying, and succeeding, to make us laugh.

exactly not
you make a joke about "disabled people" not "this person who is disabled" thats the difference

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
He is like a modern day Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson

No he's not.

They were fossils belonging to the 1970s where being sexist & racist were not just comedy props but ordinary, everyday, non-eyebrow-raising facets. If you walked down the street holding a black woman's hand you were stared at. There was no such thing as political correctness back then. Alf Garnet was on the TV. The Black & White Minstrel Show went out on Saturday nights. Hell, even the Two Ronnies blacked up & did Pakistani accents.

Frankie's more intelligent than that. Its an ACT! Its something different. He's doesn't just step over the line, he leaves it 3 miles back. Its outrageous humour. I do not believe there is any maliciousness about him. Watch one of his gigs. Do you see an out-and-out racist, or someone who enjoys flouting controversy? Its just his comedy routine, and the judge made the right call. How dull it would be where every comic had to follow a book of guidelines and not upset anyone. In today's era of "ooh, we can't say this because someone might get offended" its a welcome two-fingers up at the liberal brigade.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
exactly not
you make a joke about "disabled people" not "this person who is disabled" thats the difference

You are not the arbiter of what people can and cannot make jokes about.

You don't like it, you don't find it funny and you find it offensive.

I found his jokes funny, I liked them, I didn't find it the least bit offensive.

I'm very glad that you've no say in the matter of policing jokes. Long may it stay that way.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
In 2 years you will see Frankie Boyle dvds in petrol stations for 2 quid with big "TOO HOT FOR TV" stickers on them

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I don't disagree with that, but slightly OT: in 2 years DVD's will be dying along with every other form of physical media. Everything's going digital. Memory sticks & internet downloads is where its going. I haven't bought a DVD for ages. Why? Cos I can get a digital version and watch it anywhere anytime

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

A) Make fun of them
B) Help them

??

I'm really conflicted about this. All my libertarian instincts make me agree with you, and I'd be the first to say people don't have the right not to be offended, but in the case of the disabled, they're often not exactly in a circumstance where they can answer back, which means the balance of power between Frankie Boyle, media personality, and Down's Syndrome Kid, is not an equal one. In the case of race, if a black person thinks Frankie Boyle has crossed a line, they can damn well say so and justify why they think so, in the case of disability, someone else often has to do it for them, and that can look like "taking offence" for its own sake, but is actually standing up on someone else's behalf (for the record, the woman who stood up to Frankie Boyle when he was having a go about Down's kids is the wife of friend of myself and Deebs and I think she was fucking courageous to do so in front of a theatre audience).

I don't think its black and white that everything is fair game for comedy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
In 2 years you will see Frankie Boyle dvds in petrol stations for 2 quid with big "TOO HOT FOR TV" stickers on them

Yes. Of course.

What's that got to do with the topic?

I'm really conflicted about this.

I'm not in the slightest, Gaff.

There's an easy solution. If people don't like his particular brand of comedy they should stop watching it/reading about it/raging over it and go and do something else instead...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thats cause you only get shock value once .. once you have pushed the envelope so far in one joke its gone and people really dont want to listen to it again because you know the punchline.

I cant understand why people buy those stand up dvd's to me they are all a one time only watch thing anyway from Boyle to Carr to whoever.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
He is like a modern day Bernard Manning or Jim Davidson

I think you need to re-acquaint yourself with those dinosaurs. Their jokes and humour is basically "those fucking pakis stink don't they, LOLS?" Compare that with one of Boyle's most "racist" jokes about the Department of Nigger Bombing (satirical swipe at UK/US foreign policy) and then you start to realise while what he says appears racist, is normally condemning of it. He doesn't perpetuate it like the people you compare him to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom