Four hundred quid

throdgrain

FH is my second home
So, I have a commission thing from my job that after 15 years they have decided to finish. It's kinda like Nectar points or whatever.

Anyway, I find myself with £400 that I have got to spend by the end of October. I can send them a URL and simply say "buy me this please" , and it happens.

I'm stuck of something to spend it on. I've already bought 1500 shotgun cartridges on it this year, my wife a £400 leather jacket, a £300 crash helmet, a 760GTX graphics card, but now it's all over :(

Maybe I should get something for me PC? Any suggestions? I currently have

new Asus Ranger motherboard (see other thread :p )
new i5 Haswell (not as good as my old i7 Sandybridge :( )
Twin Frozr GTX760 (see above)
Decent PSU (650w I think)
Antec 900 case (best ever)
Newish Illyama monitor (bought this year)

It does have an oldish hard drive, and I had thought of a SSD, but I have JUST reinstalled Windows.

Any more ideas?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Can you get other things for it, or does it have to come off the interpipes? If it were me, I'd rent a cabin up in the highlands or something. Some place with a proper fireplace (and a hot tub, yarrr!), and go there with the Mrs. Get a couple bottles of good wine, some yummy foods and kick back for the weekend.

Stuff wise, there is not a lot I really want atm. Stupid house things really. I could do with new pillows heh. Dunno how that is with you chum.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Can you get other things for it, or does it have to come off the interpipes? If it were me, I'd rent a cabin up in the highlands or something. Some place with a proper fireplace (and a hot tub, yarrr!), and go there with the Mrs. Get a couple bottles of good wine, some yummy foods and kick back for the weekend.

Stuff wise, there is not a lot I really want atm. Stupid house things really. I could do with new pillows heh. Dunno how that is with you chum.

We're going camping next weekend at a bike rally in Essex, notoriously cold and wet. I called the mrs and said "hey why don't we bin the rally, I'll book two nights in Ferme de la Ranconniere in Normandy, £200 per night , jobs a good 'un"

She told me to bugger off she wanted to go to the rally :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I would get an SSD my southern chum do it now before you install more stuff and it becomes more of a pain to reinstall things *but* I think the Kingston SSD comes with a kit to mirror everything over to ease the install. Not sure how good their hard drives are though.

Or get a kick ass tent!

TdC

haha I like Mrs Throd. stuff that romantic crap, I want to get rained on! lol :D Trem has a point though: need awesome tent, sleeping bags or them mattress things you lie on? tbh for rally's and stuff I would go more for "durable tent" and get some nice(er) stuff to put inside?

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
SSD, but stay away from Kingston.

I can highly recommend Samsung's 840 Pro SSD drive. AT 400 quid, you should be able to afford the 500 GB or 1TB variant. It comes bundled with its own cloning software, and it really works like charm, beside being piss easy to use.

Just put the SSD in, boot normally, install the Samsung provided cloning application, click on clone, wait. Bios settings, specify the new primary boot drive as being the SSD, and you're off.

TdC

I second the 840 Pro tbh. Stonking bit of kit.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
haha I like Mrs Throd. stuff that romantic crap, I want to get rained on! lol :D Trem has a point though: need awesome tent, sleeping bags or them mattress things you lie on? tbh for rally's and stuff I would go more for "durable tent" and get some nice(er) stuff to put inside?

I got an awesome tent, and stuff to go in it :)

I know about the SSD, and I am thinking about it, but was hoping for any other ideas.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
if you dont need anything, get something nice on sale, check overclockers etc for deals, then put it on ebay for 90% retail price ? ;f

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Buy you Christmas presents with it then spend your own cash on beer.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Get a 4k monitor? Pretty much bang on that price range.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I just put in a ssd on my PC and used paragon 14 I think it was to clone the windows drive from the hdd and then moved the boot order to prioritise the ssd. And jobs a good one.

No reinstall :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You really need to reinstall to get it properly optimised, and it makes a massive difference

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You really need to reinstall to get it properly optimised, and it makes a massive difference
According to samsung magician it's running fine. But the difference from what I has atm. Over what I had before is big. The extra difference isn't worth the reinstall of everything to me.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'd spend it on some sort of Xperia, either tablet or phone. Z3 Compact looks especially sexy.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I did think of that, but I've got an XTC One x + , the older one, that I still really like :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
If it is free money I would blow it on something that I would never normally buy like a Quadcopter.

And most places recommend a reinstall with an SSD as Windows disables features like Defrag when it installs on a SSD.

Users who are viewing this thread