Question Formal apology letter advice

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
I need to write my boss a formal apology for swearing, because I was pulled off of a business critical job (the servers had gone down) to listen to him moan about the messiness of the basement (3 departments, not just IT) and he overheard me. (Never say "Oh, FFS" in earshot of the guvnor!)

Rather than a slap on the wrist and a 'quiet' word to not do it again, I've had a disiplinary, a written warning on my file, and to write this letter.

Now, the mood i'm in at the moment (angry and annoyed) I'm liable to put something silly in it and then get a nice envelope with a P45 in it. Not a good thing in this climate. If I wait too long to calm down, it's liable to escalate for not doing it in a timely manner, and as much as I may want to throw my resignation at him, it would be nice to have enough leeway to find something else first.

Anyone have any advice on this, without getting into trouble? I may as well go up to his office, drop trou, and let him swaffle me to death!

The only thing I can think of is to swallow pride and stubbonness, and grovel like a jester being threatened by the king. It would just be nice to apologise and stick it to the man at the same time, but I don't think I have the vocabulary and word skills to pull that off...

rynnor

Rockhound
"First Sample Paragraph
Please accept my most sincere apology for my behaviour last week/yesterday. I have thought long and hard about what happened and I realise how very upset/angry you must have been.

Main Body Sample Paragraphs
I am really sorry for creating the situation which I know I should have handled better. I admit that I was in the wrong and can only say how sorry I am. I can promise you that this will never happen again and hope that you will give me the opportunity to prove this to you.

Closing Sample Paragraph
I understand that it might be difficult for you to accept my apology but hope that this letter will help. I will call you later this week to apologise in person and hope that you will be able to give me another chance."

Its standard and insincere - use that - maybe ditch the last paragraph - dont put in that you were pissed off being pulled off a business critical job or it may cause further strife.

P.S. What a power crazed asshole - get the hell out when you can :)

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh Rynnor - that sounds pathetic, cheesy & not very well done.

I'd keep it short & sweet - apologize, explain the circumstances, say you'll keep yourself in check next time.

Done.

P.S - I do agree he sounds like a power-crazed arsehole.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
People in my place swear constantly; regular use of the F word.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'd say pull a fight club on his arse. What a cock for giving you a permanent mark when you were all stressed out :/

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What kind of backward industry/company do you work in where you can't swear? That's fucking mental. Seriously. Unless it's a school.

taB

Part of the furniture
I'd write something similar to what Rynnor wrote simply because then he'd know that I think he's a **** for taking it so far. I would expect that there's an underlying reason for giving a disciplinary for such a pissant event and as such play it safe.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Mate, known you for a long time, thats shitty thing to happen :(

First few words should be "how sorry you are" but really try and explain the reasons behind the outburst... that way even later on (should this come up again) you won't appear such a nobber from just reading some paper (manager or HR changes)

Hope your ok dude... should come up here for a chill out!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Dear Mister Stick'u'bum,

I would like to offer a sincere f*ck you to you and the poodle you rode in on.

Best regards, F*cking Easter Bunny.

P.S. You do smell, it is a stupid idea and no, it's not funny.

P.S.S. Above in regards to EVERYTHING.

Formally.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
He is a power crazed monkey, if I said - Solicitor - that would probably answer it. He's been with the same firm since he started work, and has climbed to being the owner, so, yeah, he is inclined to insist we <cartman> Respect My Authoritah! </cartman>

And yes, I believe I'm having to write this letter as an acknowledgment that he is 'in charge' and I am a 'lowly slave'.

I was told a story when I first started there that he came into one of the induction mettings with all the new starters for the week and stated that between 9 and 5, thier arses were his to do with how he wants. From that point I realised I'd taken the wrong job!!

In our little IT team, we do swear like monkeys throw poop, and it's all part of the job, taking the mickey out of the users etc, it was just my luck he was on a crusade of tidying up.

Cheers Rynnor, I think that'll do. If he doesn't like that, then I'll have to bite the bullet and bugger off without having a job to go to, I'm just really after something that'll buy me enough time to line something new up before I tell them to stick it.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Dear Mister Stick'u'bum,

I would like to offer a sincere f*ck you to you and the poodle you rode in on.

Best regards, F*cking Easter Bunny.

P.S. You do smell, it is a stupid idea and no, it's not funny.

P.S.S. Above in regards to EVERYTHING.

Formally.

If I knew I could jump straight into a new contract, I so would!! Sometimes Toh, I love you!! :worthy:

And Dreamor, get me that job at CM you keep promising me!! :twak:

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
If I knew I could jump straight into a new contract, I so would!! Sometimes Toh, I love you!! :worthy:

And Dreamor, get me that job at CM you keep promising me!! :twak:

Well the jobs are sloooow right now cos waiting on JGE/Op Flash2 and Dirt2 to sell before we hire more. Moment I can, I will! :)

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Everyone where I work swears, from the CEO down to the lowest code monkey, and often at each other.... But then this is the city and everyone is from Essex.

Also! Never go into a partnership with women in Business was a another top mentor rule I've been taught this week, I'm sure Harriet Harman would approve! lol.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Christ Talyn, I do *not* envy you. I fucking hate situations like this and would have to fight the urge to punch the **** in the throat with every fibre of my being.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
If hes such a wanker, I'd write to the effect of "I'm sorry I used inappropriate language in the workplace".

Don't give him the satisfaction of thinking that the apology is directed at him.

Oh and if he swears a lot himself, many mobile phones can also function as audio recorders. In case the worst happens.

rynnor

Rockhound
Tbh Rynnor - that sounds pathetic, cheesy & not very well done.

Exactly - it ticks all the HR boxes making it tough to fire you but its dead cheesy and insincere - makes me want to get in trouble just so I can use it :p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've given it a few minutes to pen this letter. Maybe you can tweak it to your specific case, but the skeleton of the letter is sound.
Dear Mr <Arsehole>,

I am writing to offer my most sincere apologies for the unfortunate incident the other day. I understand now that you were angered by my flippant comment and whilst I disagree that it was a disciplinary matter, I accept that my remark crossed the line of what is considered professional behaviour. For this I am truly sorry, and all I can do is give my assurance that I will try to comport myself professionally in the future.

I would like to take this opportunity to put my actions in context. This is not an attempt to minimise or mitigate my behaviour, but simply to explain the background.

Earlier in the day, I was performing business critical maintenance on the company's servers. They had gone down and I was acutely aware of the time factor to address the cause and bring the services back online. While I was performing this maintenance, I was asked to attend the meeting regarding the untidy state of the basement. I understand and accept that the basement is in a parlous condition, but at the time of the meeting, the business servers were still offline. My stress and impatience at the advancing time manifested itself as my outburst. Whilst it does not excuse my actions, I hope that this background will help you understand why I was in a stressed frame of mind.

I hope you accept my utmost apologies, and it will not happen again.

Yours sincerely,

Talyn
On a separate note, I would take SERIOUS steps to get another position with another company. Companies with power-tripping egomaniacs at their helm tend not to last long once the morale of the workforce has been hit hard.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Swearing helps.

Ever done a kill -9 on the wrong PID?

Swearing really helps.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
i'd not write a letter and glare at the bloke everytime i saw him for 2 weeks, i think that'd solve it.

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Think this is something you should take up with your union really...
Does not sound fair with such a big slap for what you say you did.

Hope everything works out else seeking new opportunity sounds like a fair thing.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Swearing helps.

Ever done a kill -9 on the wrong PID?

Swearing really helps.

I know that one, I also know a chap who 'looked up how to delete root user' as he couldn't remember how to do something (i forget what) and listened to some idiot on google... I think he and the manager at the time both said a few words :p

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Nice one Zenith, cheers, I'll use a bit of combo with that and Rynnor's, and hopefully it can be laid to rest while I'm on the scout out for a new job.

Chilly

Balls of steel
my boss swears at me, maybe I should demand a letter from him?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
my boss gave me a hug a few weeks ago. since he's like 7' and built like a cage fighter it was quite a frightening experience :/

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
my boss gave me a hug a few weeks ago. since he's like 7' and built like a cage fighter it was quite a frightening experience :/

You loved it :D

Ninjaswaffle!

Ooh now there's an idea, swaffle something/one without anyone knowing ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If you banned swearing at work in Ireland the whole country would grind to a halt! My boss calls me a **** on a regular basis (in a good-natured way).

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
The letter went up about 9:30 this morning, and I'm still at my desk. So he's either not read it, or he has and he's gloating over it with a mad cackling laugh.

CV has been sent out via good ol' jobserve, so now it's a waiting game to see if anyone will offer me something!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The letter went up about 9:30 this morning, and I'm still at my desk. So he's either not read it, or he has and he's gloating over it with a mad cackling laugh.

CV has been sent out via good ol' jobserve, so now it's a waiting game to see if anyone will offer me something!

If you need help writing a resignation letter, i have a couple of ideas ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom