For all you GeForce owners.

W

Wilier

Dont know if anyone else has had this trouble.
I recently made the mistake of updating my Nvidia Detonator drivers from 21.88 to 23.11. This had the effect of knocking my CS fps from 99 (ish) to 45(ish). Obviously this will not do, so I used the 'roll back' feature for XP and went from 23 back to 21. Still no good. I then uninstalled 21 and re-installed it. Still no good :mad:

So I did a bit of hunting and went to Guru of 3d and downloaded their Detonator Destroyer .This should remove all traces of any old drivers.

I then went to 3d Spotlight and read this article, comparing a whole host of Detonator releases. The general opinion was that Detonator 12.90 was the best, so I went back to Guru and found this .

Now, I aint tried it yet, but all being well, I will when I get home from work, and will report back tmorra.

Hopefully this will be of some use to someone out there.

:)

X

Xavier

do you possibly have a VIA chipset motherboard?

T

throdgrain

He's always on about Via chipsets m8 , no idea why :p

T

throdgrain

Whilst we're on the subject, I've been using those drivers too.According to 3dmark they were quite fast ,better than the last drivers I had been using.However I found that just on CS, my fps was slipping below the normal 72 that I use, at the front part of a busy office map for example down to 40 -odd momentarily.
Last night I changed the refresh rate on my pc from 75hz to "optimal", and the fps now remains constant whatever I do.The picture quality diminished slightly, so I tried "adaptor default".The fps is now 60 to go with the monitor , but the quailty is very good and fps rock solid.Tonight i'l try turning off v-synch and see what happens.
3DMark scores have remained identical whatever I have done.

W

Wilier

Thanks Throd, interesting stuff.

/me still sits, twiddling thumbs.

X

Xavier

because nvidia acknowleged severe problems with 23.11's and VIA boards... that's why

have you reinstalled the 4-in-1's since?

The point is that the nvidia drivers contain an Intel GART (Graphics Adapter Remap Table) and you'll need to reinstall the 4-in-1's every time you change between detonators...

W

Wilier

OK, thanks Xavier.
I have just DLd the latest 4in1s .

So I'll try them first, then see what happens.

Thanks again.

..........to be continued.

T

throdgrain

I did all that .. installed the new 4-1 drivers, made no difference whatsoever ..:)

X

Xavier

what do you want? a medal? or a chest to pin it on? ;)

W

Wilier

Well, the update, thus far, is that I now have a steady 60fps in cs, but I want me 99 back.
For some strange reason, when I un-installed the Det 21.8 drivers and restarted me pc, when I went into the card driver details again, the 21.8 drivers were back:eek6:

I tried the Detonator Destroyer, but it didnt work properly, some sharing violation or summat.

So I installed the new 4in1 Via drivers, I guess thats where the extra fps may have come from. Dont know really.

Anyway, Im gonna give it another go tnite. Hopw do I ensure that I have completley removed the Det drivers from my system before installing a different one?

And Laz,

origionally posted by Lazarus
yeah.
cmon Wilier you lazy shite

piss off

;)

T

throdgrain

Originally posted by Xavier
what do you want? a medal? or a chest to pin it on? ;)

Is that what you say in the playground m8?
The point was in response to your "via chipsets dont work with dets" post , i was replying to say that they work fine on mine regardless of which 4in1 drivers i got. :rolleyes:

W

Wilier

Oi !!!! Stop arguing in my serious thread.;)

BTW, Xavier, have you seen this Do you think its worth a go?

X

Xavier

because Intel still account for about 79% of the motherboard chipsets sold nVidia distro drivers with their GART...

I don't disagree that there are a couple of decent VIA chipsets out there (266/266A are about it) but VIA have one of the dodgiest track records when it comes to chipsets, and when they find a problem they seldom fix it and instead just release the products successor!

updating your GART should solve a lot of problems, don't forget either that a lot of nvidia driver releases enable 2xaa as standard and you have to go in and switch the bitch0r off!

Xav

W

Wilier

Just to end the thread.
Ive got back to mostly 99fps again.

Uninstalled the Det drivers from Add/Remove programs, then cleaned up the registry with this little program. Then reinstalled the 21.8 dets, updated my Via 4in1 drivers, and Bobs your uncle, 99fps in CS.:D

Im happy again.

X

Xavier

Originally posted by Wilier
Just to end the thread.
Ive got back to mostly 99fps again.

Uninstalled the Det drivers from Add/Remove programs, then cleaned up the registry with this little program. Then reinstalled the 21.8 dets, updated my Via 4in1 drivers, and Bobs your uncle, 99fps in CS.:D

Im happy again.

good boy ;)

X

Xavier

tis better than you... oh hold on you DON'T have one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom