[Football] More Liverpool Drama

soze

I am a FH squatter
In the modern version of the game, no.

Fabregas "could" of stayed on his feet, instead he fell to the floor because he thought it was a penalty. That for you was a definate penalty.

Gerrard falls to the floor because he thinks he's received enough contact for the penalty to be given, he's diving.

How much contact there was is completely unimportant. In both cases there wasn't enough to cause the reaction from the player unless he was diving.

There is a difference between having slight contact and going down (which i still hate) and going down then making sure there is contact. Like Gerrard the keeper did not touch him he threw a leg out to make sure there was contact. I think Babel did the same he got into the box and threw himself down and into toure,

The first kind where there is minimal contact but the player falls anyway is shit but it seems managers support it. Untill there is advantage given when the player runs on and misses this will not stop.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
There is a difference between having slight contact and going down (which i still hate) and going down then making sure there is contact. Like Gerrard the keeper did not touch him he threw a leg out to make sure there was contact. I think Babel did the same he got into the box and threw himself down and into toure,

The first kind where there is minimal contact but the player falls anyway is shit but it seems managers support it. Untill there is advantage given when the player runs on and misses this will not stop.

The problem is both types you've described there regularly get given as penalties. I still can't blame the players when that's the case as they are simply trying to get the most out of an unprofitable situation.
Given a choice between ensuring there's contact and going down with a good chance of getting a penalty for it or attempting to do something special you'd be crazy to not to take the easy penalty on offer.

I'd much rather the players tried to do something special, take the one in the second half where Gerrard was pretty much through then got contact so went down. If he hadn't there's a chance he'd of created a good goal instead of another spot kick to watch, but he played percentages.

The change has to come from the rules.. I'd like to start by only giving penalties if the player being fouled actually had a chance of getting to the ball if the foul hadn't occured. That would of ruled Gerrard's effort out straight away since he wasn't getting the ball even without the keeper being there, and if contact was made or not would of been irrelevant. Maybe still give the penalty if the foul on them is dangerous so you can't cause someone to lose control by diving 2-footed at them.
The art of going round the keeper has been lost rather these days tho since it's much easier just to kick the ball in a random direction away from him then run into him and fall over.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Managers tell players to go down in that situation as they know they will not get advantage if they stay up im sure even if a manager does not say it it is implied.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Managers tell players to go down in that situation as they know they will not get advantage if they stay up im sure even if a manager does not say it it is implied.

unfortunately for United, Rooney rarely goes down when anyone else would to win a penalty. It good to see that, but it often actually ends up being a disadvantage as teh opposition happily goes down. Many times this season I reckon we would have got a penalty award had Rooney gone down, just look at him against liverpool. Fouled but didnt go down, snatched at a shot whilst off balance and nothing awarded, whereas if he went down he would have won a penalty and I believe it was carragher who would have seen red as last man.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
YAWN!!! SAME SHIT!! DIFFERENT THREAD...

how does a thread about a newspaper report turn into a diving/cheating thread? happens EVERY time here...

BORIIIIIIIIIIING

soze

I am a FH squatter
unfortunately for United, Rooney rarely goes down when anyone else would to win a penalty. It good to see that, but it often actually ends up being a disadvantage as teh opposition happily goes down. Many times this season I reckon we would have got a penalty award had Rooney gone down, just look at him against liverpool. Fouled but didnt go down, snatched at a shot whilst off balance and nothing awarded, whereas if he went down he would have won a penalty and I believe it was carragher who would have seen red as last man.

Thats why nothing will change untill the players that do not go down and go on to lose the ball are rewarded by having the game bough back for a Penalty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom