Food for thought

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
To Ventros. Mate, I can understand your frustration. I'm not telling you how to play, or to keep on playing. A game can grow tiresome for a variety of reasons. I wish you'd grow into NF along with the other people that think it sucks, but hey, it's your playtime. We can use people with experience in the open field but that's your choice to make. Respect to whatever you decide.

Jaycee, absolutely right mate. We do need both, open-field battles (and I think that we had some of the best groups roaming OF) and keep/tower takes.

FG action. Well, I do admit that I'm not a group player. But I love to roam and I have come to know where it is possible to find such action. Do /rw and go to albs. You'll see that yesterday for the majority of the afternoon, surs spire (or was it outpost, the one by the sea anyway) was taken by the mids. This tell you that albs are unable to port over to the main keep, instead they have to go there walking. I saw plenty FG albs leaving from Bold heading surs direction, most of them to be slaughtered by the mid fg roaming there. The problem comparing that with the old emain I guess is the fact that it's not stationary. You have to either be pro-active and take a tower in order to pull out the enemy, or reactive and go wherever you think the action is. This is how I find soloers, also this is how soloers find me (in the hib frontiers when i'm running around like a jack-ass).

Lack of numbers - There is some frustration there, specifically lack of classes. I tried to pull out a stunt yesterday only to be in a group without any type/sort of healer to even have a small chance of success. I tried later to log-on my bard, but she's just a fop-bot, no toa benefits, not even a proper template. However my best contribution was in Behn when I was actually getting heals from a warden (Zeed). Then instead of getting in the windows trying to pull a couple of shots and running to hide before the scouts/mages start fireing at me, I had the chance of actually finishing off whoever I was hitting, or shifting multiple targets knowing that I had some sort of support. When some rangers used the same gt for volley, we managed to clear out the catapults inside the courtyard. Endless possibilities, but the result is that we have to work together.

OK, have to work now :cheers:

Culanan

One of Freddy's beloved
Reaper Spawn said:
i agree with gear good thred m8. Id like to add, that unfotunetly we as hibs are totally out numberd VS albs an that our population gets smaller and smaller as each day pases more and more hibs ebaying there accounts 2 go an try WoW really puts up a question. What will the future be for hibernia or will there be any? Imo we as hibs need to band togeather as a strong society to defend our relm.Im also sure uve all had the lag at about 3pm when all the albs get home from school <wink wink> a mojority of us still new 2 the game trying to compete with zergs of albs TOAd to the teeath an us still waring epic, funny eh yet we still hold our own in a fight or defending our relm.

Its geting harder and harder every day an if any one has a solution to the problem of our underpopulated relm id like 2 hear it i for one, am fresh out of ideas.

Spoke to talivar last night, he even enjoys PvE and crafting in WoW, poor sod, if he enjoys those (he never did in DAOC) then I'm not playing it for sure!

Has to be something wrong with it if Talivar likes those aspects lol

Ought to add that in some situations that not having uber gear doesn't make a huge difference, especially in the numbers game, still got my lvling gear on ranger and doing just fine with a few artis at a reasonable lvl and still ML1.

The biggest problem is the lack of sleep, it takes so long to retrive our keeps for the security of the realm that I suspect some people don't show up cos they were online till 5am the previous night.

Wait for the powergamers to get bored of WoW (remember the same things said about a number of games over the past couple of years, many returned) and see what happens to hib numbers.

Franya

Loyal Freddie
Gear said:
Others despair and are not willing to keep on fighting, as reports of 100 albs on nged while a /who 50 gives a number of 150 online tents to bring you down.
Being a casual player that enjoys both RvR and PvE... it's simply that i don't want to only play RvR. And i am still working on my crafts aswell. So if i defend Hib all day on saturday i want to PvE / craft on sunday...
And lets face it, with the current numbers 100 albs on Nged is just the normal count and nothing special.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
. However my best contribution was in Behn when I was actually getting heals from a warden (Zeed). Then instead of getting in the windows trying to pull a couple of shots and running to hide before the scouts/mages start fireing at me, I had the chance of actually finishing off whoever I was hitting, or shifting multiple targets knowing that I had some sort of support. When some rangers used the same gt for volley, we managed to clear out the catapults inside the courtyard. Endless possibilities, but the result is that we have to work together.

OK, have to work now :cheers:

Have to say a huge thanks to the healers and rezzers at Behn that night, in OF a solo animist would often be left to rot if he/she died (as happened all the time to me), but that night i think i was rezzed 40 times and never had to wait longer than half the release bar, lots of fops, nodes, heal fonts etc all over the place and grouped healers buffing solo players...oh man did i like that!...all-in-all it kept us rocking and we held out for ages and eventually won the day.

Divinia

One of Freddy's beloved
NF is shit, no matter what Gray says! even if he say: anus, it will remain crappy! :(

Reaper Spawn

Fledgling Freddie
go back 2 ware ever u came from you refugee we don need negitive taughts things are bad enough but i supose every one is intitled to there opinion <sigh> but at least learn to spell m8 its gear not gray :twak:

Culanan

One of Freddy's beloved
Reaper Spawn said:
go back 2 ware ever u came from you refugee we don need negitive taughts things are bad enough but i supose every one is intitled to there opinion <sigh> but at least learn to spell m8 its gear not gray :twak:

Leave Div alone, she might be a poopy mouth but she is funny :clap:

Cutri

Fledgling Freddie
Jayce said:

reduce the hibbie guilds to no more then 20 so you can all be in the same alliance.

Anyways, we'll see what comes of Hibernia.

Unfortunately that would be worse, hib needs a minimum of 35 guilds just to claim all of our own towers/keeps, let alone any mid/alb ones we take :(

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I think you missed out one important point. You play a ranger and NO, I don't want to get out the old archer stuff, but the point is, you stand there, spot and shoot people etc. I play Druid and Healer as main chars, so what I do is hugging a FoP and casting spreadheal cause keeps are so shit designed that I can't use the single target ones. Mezzing is of no use in siege warfare, if I ae lull 3 casters, 10 others will shoot me to death. I even did a /bc leave last time we did some keeptakes cause every friggin person was calling for a ress, like if we druids had 10 mana bars and an ae ress. I stopped counting the amount of time where my mezzes/roots were broken by some randoms or when people forget that my healing range is not 5 million, but limited to 2000+range bonus. Now if there is no more roaming (which there is, hurray), my reason to play is simply gone, cause I could train a monkey to play a healer in keep defense. I'm not super high RR, but the RP's I have are mostly from fair fights and I've not done all this work to end up being a healing bot.

Damage dealers and ranged people might find NF fun, but I don't and looking at the population of support in all realm, it seems I'm not the only person thinking this way. NF was a try to make big fights more interesting, it ended up being a range vs. range battle. Also the amount of low lvl ppl with DF equipment is scary and while it may be fun to ae stun+pbae a grp of Warders/Cosantoirs in 5secs, it's not fun anymore when 10fg of them are around. Finding a good group has become harder and harder, as more of the nice chaps are leaving.

While this game might be fun to play in zergs for some people (and I respect that playstyle if they have fun with it), it's not fun for people who want to show some different playstyle and get hurt at every corner.

I really don't know what will happen, but maybe it will become better when more people quit. Looking at catacombs, this will happen a lot again, especially looking at the insane amount of shearing (insta d/q and insta acuity shear in midgard). The gap between the realms utility/power is growing and the only place where you don't really notice that is in zergs cause you can't keep track of what happens there.

Well you might agree with that or not, but it's my point of view on the game at the moment and I've not had much nice RvR in the bit of time I could play. Either it was a 5-man gg late at night, or a mixed group of same-minded players (some call them leet-guilds) in Hib/Excal and Mid/Carnac.

EDIT: Ressing is also a problem. It gives RP's but after a while in a keepfight, people died a lot of times and I'm not wasting 50% mana which I could've used to heal my grp, just to cast a ress spell which might be overwritten and get 0 RP's in the end. Same for stealthers, they never accept anyways. Mana should only be taken on accept, so no more resses for them (except they ask).

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Merrilow said:
This is why things are going down hill, some people simply refuse to adjust. It's their choice to do this but it seem a bit hypocritcal them QQ about how hib can't stand against the alb hordes. We can stand against them we just need to organise ourselves.
The people make the game, if we all decide we're not going to have fun, not even going to bother fighting back then the game really will get dull.

<Note: This isn't aimed at Vantros specifically but the attitude displayed in his post>

Why do people always separate game from RL in terms of what people like (ok, that was crap english, let me explain). Let's say you like the color red and you dress all in red. Suddenly your favourite store only sells blue. Would you be so quick on changing to blue? I guess you'd still like red, no? You don't have to like something, just because it's there, that's opportunist thinking. If you want to keep your fun alive, then you gotta do something and not follow the mass. Lots of people do that in RL (look at dressing up etc.) and same will be in all games. I don't give a flying f*** in RL if people don't like how I dress and same counts for my game-behaviour. I'm trying to be nice to everyone, but I for sure won't copy their opinion on something. Once a wise person said: "Cogitu, ergo sum." and it still counts nowadays, don't let others think for you, do your own thinking. So if he doesn't like zerging, then who are you to tell him to adopt the general way of playing?

This is not aimed at anyone, but the people who hate the "leet guys" are hypocrits themselves, by trying to change THEIR way of playing. Just respect what the other one is doing and it'll be fine.

-going to sleep now :p

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Well said liloe. I also find it very insulting that the anti-leet people seem to think it's fine for them to try and force their playstyle on everyone "for the good of the realm". All they're really doing is trying to make their own fun more and who cares what anyone else thinks.
No one can be forced to adapt to something they don't like, trying to just drives more people away.

Divinia

One of Freddy's beloved
Reaper Spawn said:

yes, spelling seems to be my problem here..

Tigersans

Fledgling Freddie
Since NF ive always played my NS, the other night i decided to play my Hero got in a fg and we went roaming and yes we found other fgs of mids even sometimes 1 FG of albs.

So the FG v FG fights are still there to be had u just dont go to the places on map where fights are as everyone goes there and then you get a zerge. 8v8 fight is over most of time before back up arrives.

The game can be played both ways in my oppinion and i think NF rocks over old OF by far.

If you like 8 V 8 just roam around there are others that roam in 1fg. So il be back to playing hero and ns from now on..

Nice thread gear.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
The interesting part is also that RA timers are lower so less: "We lost cause RA x was down and you had it up" =))

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
I completely agree with respecting other people's views. I don't try to force anyone to play/keep on playing, I'm not on goa's payroll or anything, I was just trying to bring out another point of view.

However:
Last night, behn siege by albs. OK, I was there shooting everything in sight till I got my battler to level 10, if that counts as an excuse. All the visibles however, instead of trying to form a couple of nice groups and charge the albs, they were just staying behind the wall adding in the range war which is so much disliked.

As I said, I haven't played in a visible setting apart from a few runs in OF HW, but how hard will it be to make a proper charge? No sarcasm here, I really want to know. The way I'd imagine it would be something like:

Group charges, bard spams aoe mezz, while at the same time single insta on an identified sorc. If he gets mezzed, purge and repeat. At the same time receiving healing from the rest. Tanks move in the soft targets, BMs have charge anyway, and the whole thing should be over without taking a hell of a lot of time. Anyway, maybe just the way I see things.

Another think I've noticed is that some times I see people going out and taking a tower, that beno 3 is a fine example. Apart from the RP farming in that tower while defending it (ok nice rps, quite boring tho), the reality is that at some point the alb zerg will show up, they will use siege (dunno, are we so poor we can't buy any? Encumberance is no excuse as I can solo carry a ram and a treb) and the tower will go down. If I was leading the group, I'd take the tower, claim it/upgrade it whatever, doesn't really matter, then bugger off and go somewhere else. What would be the point? You'd end up bashing a few towers initialy without any fun, but then you'd stir up quite some interest to the alb population who'd find out that their teleport button doesn't work. Hit and run tactics would also dillute the zerg to manageable numbers.

Well anyway, just a few thoughts...

PS. And NO I'm not telling you to keep on playing if you don't like it. Just give me your stuff before you quit :)

Jayce

Fledgling Freddie
Cutri said:
Unfortunately that would be worse, hib needs a minimum of 35 guilds just to claim all of our own towers/keeps, let alone any mid/alb ones we take :(

Bugger .....

Jayce

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
PS. And NO I'm not telling you to keep on playing if you don't like it. Just give me your stuff before you quit :)

Here, here. :)

jokke

Fledgling Freddie
liloe said:
my reason to play is simply gone, cause I could train a monkey to play a healer in keep defense.

i wish i cud get the hang of it :(

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Charges never quite go as planned - either you lose mez (very easy vs sorcs as they can be mezzing you before you're in insta range) and get farmed, or people have misjudged the amount of enemies and you get farmed. It's very hard to land a decent mez also as people tend to spread out a lot at keep sieges. It's also hard to co-ordinate more than a group of people to move at once.

Ziva

Fluffy
Well i never liked the old RvR (maybe my first year of playing) and i'm not sure if i like RvR in NF since i hardly tried cause the lag issues made the game unplayable for me.

However, what i don't understand is why Mythic (GOA) is forcing people who enjoyed old style RvR to play new style RvR. I agree that a lot of people could not play RvR cause they could not compete, weren't TOA'ed enough, not high enough RR or whatever but instead of making the game enjoyable for both groups they decided to force people in the new RvR style. That's bad imo. Some people like zergs, some don't. Why not be smart and make both happy and make a seperate zone for 8 vs 8 groups where u don't have to worry about keeptakes and stuff.

Just my 2 cents

TriggerHappy

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
The last couple of weeks I have noticed some degradation in the Hibernian rvr. It is true that since the beginning of NF we’ve been pounded quite a lot and on a regular basis (Mids had their share too tho). Albs have the numbers to fight two wars at the same time, there is no argument against that, and the teleportation system makes things even easier for them. At the same time, lacking numbers = lacking claimants. Every so often we take some towers and there’s noone who can claim, as every guild nowadays already has something.

This situation has been coupled with the departure of many players for various reasons, too much change, loss of in-game friends, boredom (happens after some time). Others despair and are not willing to keep on fighting, as reports of 100 albs on nged while a /who 50 gives a number of 150 online tents to bring you down.

Most blame mythic for fucking up the game. I on the other hand, thank mythic for finally introducing some strategy into daoc.

So what you had in OF? Lets see the different options available out there.
Form a group in DL or one of the portal keeps and start some mindless roaming. Kill everything on sight, enjoy some good fights of course, but mostly nothing more than some mindless running around. Sometimes, one could bother enough to take a keep or two to open up df, or even take some people to ff so mids would come out and play, but that was only on some rare occasions and mostly organised on guild bases.

Casual players were mostly screwed as getting toa-d is a pain in the ass, however is a requirement in order to compete effectively out there, hence a prerec to join a proper group. Casually formed groups were formed within 1 hour and split within 1 minute after encountering a formidable adversary.

Anyway, you get the picture. I wont expand more as I don’t know much about group play myself.

In NF you have a landscape that really matters. You have supply chain, teleportation, endless possibilities to enjoy rvr in many different ways. True, those ways might not bring as many rps as in the old style emain, but is everyone playing the game just to farm as many rps as possible? Forgive me if I get this wrong, but it is a game, hence something that we should enjoy, have fun. The status of your character (rp wise, ml wise, etc) is not reflecting your real life status. If you think that it does… well that’s plain sad.

I am definite that most of you have played and enjoyed strategy games in the past. Of course in that situation you’re able to control everything alone, not needing to persuade people to do what you want to do. Still this is the extra enjoyment one can derive from daoc, strategy in a mmorpg environment.

I’m trying to inspire some out of the box thinking here. Let’s see what’ll come out.

/salute

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom