Flat Screen Monitors

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Has technology advanced enough yet so flat screen monitors are as good (or better) than CRT for playing high fps games, or do I still have to wait a while?

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
Has technology advanced enough yet so flat screen monitors are as good (or better) than CRT for playing high fps games, or do I still have to wait a while?

In my opinoin no, nothing beats an IIYAMA 22'' HM204DT for about 700 euro

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
sibanac said:
In my opinoin no, nothing beats an IIYAMA 22'' HM204DT for about 700 euro
no I don't have to wait, or no flat screens are not better than CRT yet. :)

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
I don't think flat-screens are quite as good at fast-paced gaming as CRTs, but the difference has certainly shrunk a lot recently. A good LCD will get down to about 16ms response time, which equates to roughly 60-65 frames per second, which is to the point of rivalling a good CRT, but certainly fast enough that ghosting should be difficult to spot.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
sorry

The highend LCD screens are pretty good, tho still not as good as a high end CRT.

The whole thing depends on
a) how much cash you want to burn
b) How big your desk is
c) How much design sense you got

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sadly that thing is next to unavailable in holland :(

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
There are other issues that I think prevent the affordable flat screens being as good as CRT.
As well as the refresh rate you need to pay attention to the colour depth. Poor colour depth can mean, for example, shades of dark merge and just becomes dark as opposed to light. Not helpful if you play any games that like dark atmosphere.
I also worry about the fact that the flatscreens that have good picture tend to only have it at the designed resolution. If you try to change that resolution then the quality can suffer. I certainly don't play all my games at the same resolution, not least cos I play different types of games (FPS, RPG, RTS, etc.).

Overall I still favour the flexibility and better value (quality per £) of a good CRT.

Minifotm

Fledgling Freddie
I have a 17" LCD screen. it really rox. i think they are the new flavour of the month.

go buy one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom