Fix It Again Toni!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Right folks here's the problem. Recently I bought a Fiat. It's been superb for what I've bought it for (a cheap runaround) apart from one thing - it can be a bugger to start sometimes. The start motor whirrs but it doesn't catch, almost as though there's no petrol in it, even though there's quarter of a tank in there. I've also had one or two issues recently with the fuel injector warning light coming on - however going by the manual that really isn't too much to worry about - but I do think it's related. Normally when you turn the ignition on your can hear a noise from the engine as the fuel injection system primes itself, when it doesn't start that noise is conspicuous by its absence.

Now I'm assuming this is a fuel injector issue. I've tried putting some Redex in but that doesn't seem to have done a great deal (just stopped the injector warning light coming on) - is this likely to be a big fix? Or is it the kind of thing I can sort with a socket set and a Haynes manual?

any thoughts?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
not sure but sounds like fuel pump / fuel injector thingy?

Oh, and maybe feign a duff start and get the AA out and ask them (if you are such a member).

Bodhi

Hmmmm that's not too bad an idea. I'm just about to head out up Stoke, I shall look into it when I get back.

If I get back.............

edit// not sure about the fuel pump idea as the car runs fine when it finally starts, if maybe using a bit more petrol than it should.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
smaller fiats have trouble with fuel injection, the wifes cincatwatmobile or whatever its called stuttered if you went over 50. If it turns out to be the injection system its a "feature" and there is not really a lot you can do about it, not without paying out.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
My guess would be fuel pump relay playing up intermittantly. Identify where the relay is located and next time you have a problem jump out, tap the relay, and try again.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Great mechanic in Market Drayton who I trust totally Bods. Let me know if you want his number, he will not rip you off or lie.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The noise you can hear is probably the fuel pump priming. Check the relay that supplies power to the fuel pump. Try reseating it and cleaning the contacts.

Relays are cheap to replace, you're talking £5-£10 if it's faulty.

If the engine runs fine when running, then the injectors are fine and you're wasting your money with redex (just put branded fuel in it, you don't need fuel additives unless you use supermarket stuff).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My guess would be fuel pump relay playing up intermittantly. Identify where the relay is located and next time you have a problem jump out, tap the relay, and try again.

Bah, beat me to it :(

Bodhi

Cheers folks. I shall get a Haynes manual tomorrow and find out which relay I'm checking.

I made it back from Stoke no bother (car started first time), and it's clearly in rude health when it's running - just ask the Golf GTI that tried to keep up with me along the A34 ;) I've also found out the consumption I'm getting is normal for a Sporting, which is a bit disappointing. 30mpg from a 1.2 if you drive it like an Italian :|

Bodhi

Think I've found it attached to the bulkhead, gave it a tap with a screwdriver and made sure it was connected properly, it's started first time every time since then. We'll see how it goes.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Buy a new one. If its a Bosch relay just go to the Bosch website and find a local dealer.

Also buy some petroleum jelly, its useful stuff for protecting exposed contacts.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Such as Trem's wang. That's an exposed contact.

Bodhi

Just been out for a quick spin in me Punto - started first time again, then started first time after it stalled during a maneuvre. Have discovered another problem - the air hose connecting the airbox to the engine has perished, so the engine isn't getting enough air, meaing it's hunting around at idle and I'm pretty confident it's why my gas mileage has been down a bit. It certainly had that effect on me Golf. Looks a fairly easy fix, just a matter of getting the parts for it.

Gamah

Banned
I used to work for Fiat and I must say you've made a bad choice in car.

Oh and never write to the complaints department, they are basiclly hinted at never to give compensation and use every way to get out of it lol.

The day before I left (I was temping for 6 months) I authorised a new gearbox for an OAP war vetren costing the company 4 grand. The old boy had probably been ragging the shit out of it but he was cool and it was about time Fiat did something good.

Bodhi

Why would I write to the complaints department? Am I supposed to be annoyed my 9 year old Punto has a couple of minor issues? I'm fairly certain Fiat will care as much as I do.

Anyway I'm experienced with Fiat aftercare - my first car was a Cinquecento Sporting. It needed a new gearbox after 30k miles, Fiat stumped up under warranty straight away and had a new gearbox in it the next day. Bout 2.5K I think it was, no bother. They even valeted the car and folded up the jumper I had in the back seat for me. 10/10 in my book. Only wish VW had been that useful.

Anyway don't suppose you've anything constructive to bring to the discussion by any chance? Like somewhere that's good for Fiat parts, or any tips for fitting new inlet tubing to a 1998 Fiat Punto 1.2 16v Sporting? I mean you did work for Fiat, these should be common knowledge.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I had HUGE row with Fiat when my 156's selespeed fucked up. They claimed "excessive use". First of all, its the gearbox ffs, and second it was at around 13000 miles. Wankers. Got the money out of them in the end, but I also had to claim back for the hire car I needed because the douchebags had no loan cars. About a month later I was rowing with them again about the clutch on my missus' GTV, and then the 156's engine blew up. I've dealt with about four different Fiat dealers, all terrible, and their customer service shower in Slough (I think its changed now) who were worse. Still like the cars, but it'll be a long time before I'd ever trust them again.

Oh, and Partco or Unipart will have your bits. For a lot less than a Fiat dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom