Motoring First time Driver advice

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Gah, epic quotefail on my part I wantedJap micros are horrid unless you're happy to live life at 20mph.

N reg Corolla, 3 door, 1.4. 120mph and I had to ease off. It kept wanting to go.

Not in my experience.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have a diesel VW Polo. It's a decent enough car. It always seems to work, and drive, even when we had a foot of snow.

Still, it was second hand, but even so I have already had a major repair on the front left drive shaft (because the seller lied) two years ago, and there's something clicking up front again now, of which I am hoping it's just a simple shock breaker thing of some sort.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Diesel! No matter how Dutch you get you can't escape the true tightwad Scot you really are.

Go put on a skirt.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it was cheaper indeed, but now it's 1.30 euros per liter. 35 cents up since the beginning of 2010. regular unleaded is ~1.55 epl.

still, it's actually more expensive to run a diesel here in the NL unless you drive more than about 24000 km/year due to the government screwing you with tax (even though you're driving a more fuel efficient and overall greener car, which is actually the point of the tax, but still).

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
for a first time car - corsa 1.2
small, fairly nippy and (afaik) relatively cheap on the road tax (something else to take into account)

Will

/bin/su
All this hate of French cars makes me cry. I have a share in a 1994 1.7 Diesel 205 and it keeps plodding on.

Admittedly its all burnt down one side and the drivers door doesn't shut properly since someone opened it with a crowbar. And then stole its eyes.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The A-class is the car that helped destroy Mercedes' reputation. It did so because it was poorly built, rusted easily, and also because anything major, like a replacement clutch, required the engine to come out.

Which basically means that if you buy one, and the clutch needs doing, you'll be spending as much as the car cost you to buy. If you want a cheapo Mercedes then buy yourself an old 190. There are plenty around and they've stopped depreciating.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
i got my first car last year march time was a little 1.5 diesel peugeot 106 xn p reg (96) very basic model

my insurance was nearly £900 and im 30

some tips

dont get anything over a 1.2 unless its a diesel then go 1.5 max
stay away from anything even remotely associated with boy racers saxo etc
dont buy french cars
dont buy french cars
dont buy french cars
dont buy french cars

i would suggest gettin a cheap little banger m8 drive it for a year get 1 years no claims bonus behind ya then get something a little bit bigger corsa or fiesta or a 106

dont expect things to get any better on your 2nd year insurance wise either im still lookin at the 700 quid mark cars are a money sink

You spam Dont buy french cars then say get a corsa/fiesta or a 106 ;)

And for the record i have a peugeot 307 and its crap , nice to drive but not very reliable.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
ye i know but a 106 is extremely cheap to run and sometimes your budget means you have to take what you can get. ideally i wouldnt buy a french car tho, my brother has had 2 and hes had nothin but trouble with em said they were nice to drive but very unreliable both renault,

must admit tho my 106 the only problem i had with it in over a year was after all the bad snow we had, one day it wouldnt start but whacked jump leads on it and away it went

the french thing was more a joke than anythin when alls said and done when you buy a car theres the potential for it to be a lemon no matter what make and model it is

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Our second car is a 1.3 fiesta Goose the silver one I brought down to yours. We've not had any problems with it at all, costs us very little to run. For a small car it's fairly spacious and comfortable as well.

We checked ours out on we buy any car and they offered us £1800 quid for it, its a 53 reg and has 40k mileage on it. So you will be able to pick something up that fits your erquirements just keep looking :)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
aye - french cars are great at reversing ;)

got a peugeot 206 - goes like a rocket but VERY temperamental.

Rhinotested

Regular Freddie
Do they still do Vauxhall Nova's? lol

I looked to see what insurance was when I passed for a 1 litre Nissan Micra - I then for a laugh checked to see what a 2 litre turbo diesel Lexus would cost me. There was only £100 difference in the price for insurance.

You can learn in any car to be fair. It's all about your mentality. If you get a banger you may drive it like one as you will have the mindset of "banging" it wouldn't matter too much. However if you do get yourself a half decent car then you may be inclined to drive more cautiously somas not to damage it.

All down to mindset!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom