Motoring First time Driver advice

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Lo all

I've recently learnt to drive, took me a long long time to get around to it but I'm there now.

I would like to buy a cheapish (around £1-2k) car once I have sorted a few things that will be cheap to buy, cheap to run and cheap to insure. I'm looking for something that's good to learn in. I've passed my test but I am under no illusions regarding my driving ability and I want something relatively safe but easy to drive whilst I get some experience of solo driving.

I might be doing a bit of travelling but I can't afford anything too big insurance or fuel wise at present.

What small car would you pick? I like the look of a c2 or something of that ilk if I will fit in it. I know it's french and won't last long but If I am being honest I want it for a year or two at most. The plan at that point is to buy something with a bit more room to drive the family around in when I won't get surprise sexed by the insurance companies on premiums.

M

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Good luck finding anything that will be cheap insurance wise. You can have the shittiest smallest runaround and they will still rape you on premiums for being a first time driver.

My only advice is to have a look around on autotrader etc, find a few models you like, and then enter the data into the comparison sites to see what your first year premiums are likely to be.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I quite like Nissan Micras. Had an ancient boxy one for years until some little scrotes broke in to it and tried to hotwire it. It wasn't the most comfortable thing, however. My mum has one of the latest Micra models, and for the price you're spending you could probably get one of them. Nippy little cars and I can fit comfortably in one and I'm 6'4.

Damini

Part of the furniture
I'd say to consider a second hand Ford Focus. Not sure what the insurance would be like, but they're very economical to run, pretty reliable, and really quite pleasant to drive. A Ford Focus will, sadly, not make you sexier to the opposite sex. It won't hamper either. It's sexually indifferent.

I had a citreon once. It made me want to invade France, and kill everyone there. Also, their website automatically plays music when you visit, which should be punishable with ball kicking.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Focus will probably be too expensive, I know it was too much for me when I was looking last year (insurance wise). The Focus start at 1.4litre engine sizes afaik.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I had a citreon once. It made me want to invade France, and kill everyone there. Also, their website automatically plays music when you visit, which should be punishable with ball kicking.

Peugeot's wbesite does the same, along with little horn beeps every 5 seconds.....arrgghhh

As for a car, try to keep the engine size down under 1.4 if you can, i think that helps, problem is that older smaller cars are holding their money simply cos they are sort after by new younger drivers, but something like a small Citreon or Peugeot might be the way to go

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Focus will be too expensive, plus endless repairs are not good.

Get something small and Japanese. It'll be cheapish, and it won't break. Don't get a French car, they're FUCKING SHIT.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Don't buy French. Get a Nissan Micra or something.

Oh and take a nightschool course in basic maintenance. It will bode you well to understand what does what under the bonnet.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
That's part of the test/theory now Tom, so that should be there already.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'd say to consider a second hand Ford Focus. Not sure what the insurance would be like, but they're very economical to run, pretty reliable, and really quite pleasant to drive. A Ford Focus will, sadly, not make you sexier to the opposite sex. It won't hamper either. It's sexually indifferent.

Out of interest, what cars DO make one sexier to the wimmins? Surely any 'cool' makes you just look like a dick?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
There's only one thing, and it's not quite a car ....

61322_428667146786_637266786_5521965_3020829_n.jpg

YOU KNOWS IT, BILL!!!! :D

Damini

Part of the furniture
Out of interest, what cars DO make one sexier to the wimmins? Surely any 'cool' makes you just look like a dick?

Any man that can pull off a vintage mini is pretty damn sexy. Vintage chevy impalas are hot as hell. Classic sports cars are hot, but any flashy car that a footballer would drive will make you look like a wanker.

Chilly

Balls of steel

But they dont though. I see fit birds driving around passenger in sweet cars in London all day long. Makes me wanna get loaded, rent a few hookers and kill them.

Or uh...whatever it was that I said earlier?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
That monster probably has more power in the kick stand than an entire Lupo, throd :D

throdgrain

FH is my second home
but they dont though. I see fit birds driving around passenger in sweet cars in london all day long. Makes me wanna get loaded, rent a few hookers and kill them.

Or uh...whatever it was that i said earlier?

lmao :d

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wazzerphuk said:
Don't get a French car, they're FUCKING SHIT.
My Pandas would disagree.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gah, epic quotefail on my part I wanted
Wazzerphuk said:
Get something small and Japanese. It'll be cheapish, and it won't break. Don't get a French car, they're FUCKING SHIT.
Jap micros are horrid unless you're happy to live life at 20mph.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I dunno, I got 95 out of the wifes micra the other day, admittedly only briefly and down hill.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm waiting for Bodhi to rock up to this thread and demand you buy a BMW 328i; its only a matter of time.

In all seriousness though, something small and Japanese is probably the answer; personally I'd take a Toyota Yaris over a Micra. The only other cars I'd recommend would be something from the VW family; a Polo, Seat Ibiza or Skoda Fabia (they're all the same underneath, but the Seat and Skoda will be cheaper).

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
i got my first car last year march time was a little 1.5 diesel peugeot 106 xn p reg (96) very basic model

my insurance was nearly £900 and im 30

some tips

dont get anything over a 1.2 unless its a diesel then go 1.5 max
stay away from anything even remotely associated with boy racers saxo etc
dont buy french cars
dont buy french cars
dont buy french cars
dont buy french cars

i would suggest gettin a cheap little banger m8 drive it for a year get 1 years no claims bonus behind ya then get something a little bit bigger corsa or fiesta or a 106

dont expect things to get any better on your 2nd year insurance wise either im still lookin at the 700 quid mark cars are a money sink

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I'm waiting for Bodhi to rock up to this thread and demand you buy a BMW 328i; its only a matter of time.

In all seriousness though, something small and Japanese is probably the answer; personally I'd take a Toyota Yaris over a Micra. The only other cars I'd recommend would be something from the VW family; a Polo, Seat Ibiza or Skoda Fabia (they're all the same underneath, but the Seat and Skoda will be cheaper).

Agreed about VW, they make a very good car.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
my clio has been a great lil bus tbh, 1.2 97' model. Really simple so if things go wrong can generally sort it out yourself with a bit of know how.

But yeah generally stay away from peugeots will crumble an fall apart.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Tah folks

I thought going anywhere near french was a bad idea but there were some reasonably new cheaply priced c2's in the area which is why I asked. I'm 37 now which makes admitting that I only just passed my test this week a bit embarrassing but it's taken me a while to get around to it.

I would get a bike throddy but I recognise that I am an idiot and I also need something that I can shove the munchkins in if I need too. I've managed to get myself added on to my wife's insurance for now. It cost us £36 to have me added on as a driver for the next 4 months which I thought was pretty reasonable :)

if I can find a decent a-class for under 1500 I'll probably grab one of those, we've had two and whilst they're not proper mercs they're reliable, solid and roomy enough for me to not feel claustrophobic in. Failing that I think I'll plump for something cheap and japanese or german, under the 1.4 mark and not too big.

Eventually I think I'll be looking for an old high mileage german motor for pushing up and down the motorways on comfortably. Trying to avoid petrol as I want economy and I don't really think I can be trusted with anything that can accelerate too quickly.

M

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
That is a fairly low budget, so it limits your options quite a lot. At that kind of price you are probably talking about something from 2001-2 without buying a lemon.

Assuming you want a small car, look at Fiat Punto, Ford Ka, Ford Fiesta or a Micra.

If you want something bigger - I'd go for a Pre 2003 Astra over an older Ford Focus.

A few years ago everyone would have said gat an old volvo, because you can't really go wrong - but they are a bit thirsty for todays fuel prices.

When you get time, get a proper license and learn to ride a bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom