Firebird

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Does firebird have any plugins to enable WMV files, rather than just displaying a load of text and chars?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Brynn

This bug will be fixed in the 0.8 release of Firebird. The problem arises as Firebird interprets the data as 'text/html' (like a webpage, say) instead of as a .wmv file. The result is the browser outputs the .wmv file as raw text, rather than prompting to either save the file or load it in, in this case, Windows Media Player.

In the meantime, most users just save the .wmv file to disk, or copy the shortcut and open the file directly from Windows Media Player.

Kind Regards

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Future versions are going to address this problem and display the usual "file open/save" dialog box. For the moment, the best way around this is just to right-click the link and select "Save link to disk..."

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
fatbusinessman said:
Future versions are going to address this problem and display the usual "file open/save" dialog box. For the moment, the best way around this is just to right-click the link and select "Save link to disk..."
Hmm, de ja vu ... hehe ;) Only teasing matey, I've done the same enough times.

Kind Regards

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
On a similar note is there a way to make the dabs website work with firebird? Only seems to load up half the pages a lot of the time. Seem to be resorting back to IE more and more lately.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Cask said:
On a similar note is there a way to make the dabs website work with firebird? Only seems to load up half the pages a lot of the time. Seem to be resorting back to IE more and more lately.
This is very annoying, isn't it? I haven't investigated enough as to whether it is the site, the browser or a combination of the two, but aside from hitting 'refresh' and hoping, I'm not sure if there is a fix. I'll do a little testing tomorrow and find out if there is a solution. I know there were some initial problems with Firebird and the menu drop-downs and information tabs, but they seem to have been resolved by Dabs. Whether this is another site issue, though, I'm not sure.

Kind Regards

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Nother question lads ;)

With firebird i seem to be constantly installing Java and it still doesn't work :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:
With firebird i seem to be constantly installing Java and it still doesn't work :(
Hello again

Try checking this MozDev page, it may be of some use.

Kind Regards

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Cask said:

This is what Dabs say:

We are aware that customers who use a 'Mozilla' based web browser may be experiencing problems viewing some pages of the new dabs.com website.

Please be advised that our developers are currently looking at this and we expect to be able to accommodate this specific web browser very soon.

Thanks for your patience in this matter.

Roughly translates as "We couldn't be bothered to test this site properly. Stop whining".

Goits.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
fatbusinessman said:
Roughly translates as "We couldn't be bothered to test this site properly. Stop whining". Goits.
Good find with that Dabs information (<ewanMcGregor>... my young padawan learner</ewanMcGregor> - only teasing ;)). In fairness, the Mozilla userbase is extremely small in the grander scale of things, but at least Dabs know about - and acknowledge - the problem.

Kind Regards

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty man your a genius it works super now :D

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Brynn said:
Jonty man your a genius it works super now :D
hehe, that's great news :D And I'm no genius, I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants :) Glad everything's sorted, and, as before, please feel free to post any more questions you may have as and when they crop up.

Kind Regards

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Cask said:
Yes, there is a way to make it work.

It's a bit hackish, but you need to do the following:

To make the Dabs page work, you have to disable the stylesheet, and then enable it again. Sound confusing? Here's a step by step:

1) For ease of use, download the following "Style Chooser" plug in*. This is design so that you can choose an appearence on websites containing multiple stylesheets. It also contains the option: "No Page Style". Download: http://downloads.mozdev.org/cdn/styleselector/styleselector.xpi

2) After installing and restarting Firebird you'll find a "Style ^" button in the status bar. It appears in colour if there's multiple stylesheets to choose from (try here), othertimes it's greyer. However, you can always click on it, as you can choose "No Page Style". When you choose a different stylesheet, or none at all, it changes instantly, there is no reloading.

3) Go to Dabs, and when you come across a page that doesn't display everything, choose the "No Page Style" option. The fonts will resort to Times, but everything will instantly appear. You can then turn the stylesheet back on again, and have the Dabs website back the way it's supposed to look, with the whole page displayed.

As I say, it's not ideal, but it does work.

* The following is for information only, the above solution is recommended for ease of use. However, users running Firebird 0.7+ who are familar with customising their userChrome.css settings file.
The Alternate Stylesheets extension was actually integrated into the 0.7 release of Firebird, displayed now as a small icon in the bottom left corner of the status bar. However, by default it is not displayed on pages with only one stylesheet. You can change this, using instructions found on this page. I find that the graphic does not appear on all pages, but that by clicking in the space that the graphic is supposed to be (there is a separator always visable) you can still find the corresponding menu.

Fixed :) It doesn't make up for Dabs not bothering to test their site (imagine the custom they'll have lost from Linux users...), but it does mean you can still use it - if you still want to.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Fatty should be nicer about Dabs' web guys, it was he and I who originally spotted and reported the rendering bug to their development team!

(I reckon he's just moaning for the sake of it - my second candidate for Grumpy Old Men methinks!)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
There is a plug-in for IE 6 that, if it detects that you are browsing a GAME.NET tech forum, will automatically download and install Firebird and set it as default browser, and in a few months will work for Freddyshouse tech forums too !

Isn't that grand !?

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Shovel said:
However, users running Firebird 0.7+ who are familar with customising their userChrome.css settings file.
The Alternate Stylesheets extension was actually integrated into the 0.7 release of Firebird, displayed now as a small icon in the bottom left corner of the status bar. However, by default it is not displayed on pages with only one stylesheet. You can change this, using instructions found on this page. I find that the graphic does not appear on all pages, but that by clicking in the space that the graphic is supposed to be (there is a separator always visable) you can still find the corresponding menu.
Fixed :)

Thanks for that ... I've come across a similar effect elsewhere, as well as on Dabs, though can't remember where at the moment. Might sort those out as well next time I encounter it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom