Finding a memory leak?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm pretty sure something I'm running has a srs memory leak but I have no idea what it is, even if i'm just using chrome/utorrent for a few hours, afk for 6 hours with only utorrent open my pc has like 7gb memory in use even after i close everything, and when i go to the resource monitor it doesn't see anything using a particularly large amount of memory.

Any idea on what the shit is up?

( and yes I have up to date kaspersky which scans weekly and finds nada ).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Place it in a bucket full of water. If there is a leak you will see bubbles.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You don't use jdownloader do you? I had some serious memory use problems with this in win7, there is a Microsoft hotfix for Vista or 7. Other than that, no idea. :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Try using "poolmon" from the windows server SDK's - it's a (free) utility to easily see what processes are using how much memory, how many file handles, how much non paged and paged ram etc. The biggest culprits in day to day use are printer drivers - installing from their .inf is normally fine but the setups (especially HP) are diabolical.

Chilly

Balls of steel
assuming MS have got their act together in recent years, free memory is an irrelevant measure, just as it is in linux. RAM get filled up with disk cache and will be recycled back to direct app usage if and when it's needed.

What you really need to keep an eye on is your paging activity. If that starts to increase (and with 7gig it should probably be 0) you need to dig in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom