File recovery programs?

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure if this is possible or not but I've recently (rather stupidly) been using an updated version of my CV that I spent ages perfecting and various info of jobs I've recently gone for whilst attending a training centre. However me being the complete moron I am I just kept it on the floppy I initially took there and didn't bother making a backup either there or at home :(

Do I need to say what's happened next?
Disk corrupt, do I want to format? .. nope

Question is have I lost the stuff on there forever or are there any good/useful free programs that could try and recover stuff that might not actually be done in. I could probably rewrite the CV in just a couple of hours but I don't think I'd get it as perfectly worded (good lies) as I had just now. There job info I could probably also get back with a few phone calls/e-mails but I'm far too lazy for all that. Any advice?

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, I'll try them out.

To be honest I'm not too hopeful of saving any data but I'm a lazy bastard and aren't sure I'd be able to remember everything I'd done already. My own thought for relying on a floppy disk I moved about every day. Bit Amigaesque of me :p

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Hopefully it may just be the first couple of sectors that were damaged. If so, most of your data should still be there. Had a brilliant, little free program at work here that scanned a bad floppy and reconstructed word files. 'Fraid I can't find the damn thing though. If you're still having no joy tomorrow then I'll have another look for you.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Whipped said:
Hopefully it may just be the first couple of sectors that were damaged. If so, most of your data should still be there. Had a brilliant, little free program at work here that scanned a bad floppy and reconstructed word files. 'Fraid I can't find the damn thing though. If you're still having no joy tomorrow then I'll have another look for you.
If you could mate, can't find anything that'll ressurect .doc files yet :(

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Didja try a scandisk on the floppy...it might just be able to repair/fudge over the problem so you can access your file :D

The other thing is that crappy scratch file word makes....ususally grey and named gobbledeegook with a tilde ~ in the name somewhere...if you can open that...you have a good chance of getting your file back...then save it to the HD.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
had to use a program to recover corrupted files *cant remember if there were any .doc mind). Program was Called "Directory Snoop" and you should be able to find it on ZDNET (free trial version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom