Favourite original Star Wars movie

Whats your favourite of the 3 Original Star Wars movies ?

• Star Wars

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • Return of the Jedi

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Of the original 3 movies, what one's your favourite ?

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Randal:
What did you like better:
Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back ?

Dante:
Empire.

Randal:
Blasphemy.

Dante:
Empire had the better ending.
I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off,
finds out Vader's his father.

Han gets frozen, taken away by
Boba Fett. it ends on such a down note.

I mean, that's what life is:
a series of down endings.

All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
ESB had everything

Hoth Battle:

Hothtrenches.jpg

Luke training on Dagobah with Yoda

Empire_strikes_back_2.jpg

and of course Vader tempting Luke to the Dark Side:

DarthVaderbeckoning.jpg

Awesome movie

The new movies are almost a blasphemy against these classic masterpieces.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Argh, I clicked on 'Jedi' when I meant 'Empire'...nnghh...

Although - I'd like 'Jedi' the most if it didn't have the fuckin' Ewoks in. I hate the little bastards. Replace the Ewoks with what it was originally intended to be, Wookiee slave labourers being used to build the Death Star getting freed by the Rebel demolitions team, and the Endor stuff would have been awesome.

All that stuff with Luke, Vader + the Emperor in the throne room, that's some of my favourite Star Wars moments right there...

Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
Palpatine: *snarls* Your faith in your friends is yours!

...brilliant. Palpatine is so wonderfully malevolent throughout 'Jedi'. Iain McDiarmid fucking owns; he's one of the only watchable things in 'Phantom Menace', and he rocks all through the second two Prequel Trilogy films too. The Opera House scene in 'Sith' with him and Anakin - all the "Did you ever hear The Tragedy Of Darth Plageuis?" stuff - is just great, watching him manipulate Anakin so beautifully.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
*puts on flame suit*

Jedi Returns 'cause the crap finally ended.

Ok ok...i'll be honest :D

*puts on nerd glasses*

Mmmmmmeh! The first movie isn't Star Wars, it's New Hope! Mmmmmmmheheh!!

Ok ok...hmm...IF i have to choose and not choose one of the three new ones...

Return of the Jedi! Come on! Princess Leia in chains! Haba haba! *pant pant*

Ok ok...fine...i'll be serious.

Err...i dunno really...First one i think 'cause it's a stand alone, you can't really appreciate 2&3 without eachother.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Blast my eyes for posting those Empire pics !
Now I'm gonna HAVE to watch it tonight when I get home from work !
Hehe

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Lamp said:
The new movies are almost a blasphemy against these classic masterpieces.
Gotta disagree with you there, I think 'Sith' easily holds its head up with 'Empire'.

'Phantom Menace' is extremely bad, though, 'tis true. Bought all the others on DVD but I refuse to hand over cash for anything with so much Jar Jar in it.

Illtar

Fledgling Freddie
i voted empire, personally i think revenge of the sith ( the 3rd) is the best of them all

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
In my opinion, the original 3 films are, and always will be the superior Star Wars collection.

The original 3 had quality actors. People who could really act. People who had gravitas. Screen presence. It was the actors who dominated. Although the FX were memorable, it was the quotes, the funny 1-liners, facial expressions (mostly Han Solo's LOL), and storyline which made them masterpieces. The latest trilogy contains two "famous" actors - Ewan Mcgregor - who lacks the gravitas of Alex Guiness, and Samuel L Jackson, who, in my opinion, is the worst case of bad casting I've ever seen in any movie. I mean the guy is a 70s blaxploitation gangster actor ! Anyway, I digress. What do you remember the latest star wars offerings for ? Acting ? NO. Its all about the special FX. Fine if thats what people want. And yes Sith was a good movie. But, for me, the 3 orig movies were able to BLEND acting and FX to produce seemless quality. The recent offerings were unable to produce anything except over-hyped badly acted poorly scriped computer generated FX story fillers.

:flame:

Chronictank

FH is my second home
thought most of them were just "ok" to be very honest, Empire strikes back probably the fav out of the choice up there.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Empire for me, the Hoth scenes are amazing and very well put together. WEll ahead of its time :D
Return of the Jedi and the New Revenge of the Sith movies are close 2nd.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Dreamor said:
Empire for me, the Hoth scenes are amazing and very well put together. WEll ahead of its time :D

Totally.

Show me another Sci-Fi film with a snow scene to match it.

I rest my case.

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
Loved ESB.. the snow scenes, the tension between Han and Leia, Luke's training... I could go on and on :)

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
Totally.

Show me another Sci-Fi film with a snow scene to match it.

I rest my case.

The Thing?! :D With Kurt Russell lol :D Not on the same scale... I know... :twak:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The Thing ! Ah yes, great movie. Thats more of a horror genre than SciFi IMO. And on a totally smaller scale. More 1-2-1 fights than all out snow action between multiple opponents.

Oh - and RVR in Odin doesnt count !!

Dukat

Resident Freddy
ARGH!

which is the best original starwars film!?!?

*HEADACHE INDUCING PAIN*!

I like all three equally, when I try to think which I like the most my head hurts. bad. :(

A New Hope because:

The Obi Wan Kenobi scenes rock, imo Alec Guinness is just incredable.
The Death Star trench run scenes. just perfection, like the dambusters but different in its way, that part really is great.

Empire Strikes Back becuase:
The attack on echo base
(thats snow scene with the walkers in it for you non-fanatics ;))
The training part with yoda.
The whole ending of bespin from when luke arrives onwards. The lightsaber fight is so sweet and the ending is profound.

Return of the Jedi because:
It's the conclusion to the story.
The last scenes with yoda in, and the talk with obiwan afterwards are really nicely done.
The final space battle is superb, following Wedge in the X-wing is a really nice touch.
The final lightsaber fight is another of the really well done parts, the whole psycological thing is pulled off well.

All three have thier best parts, I like the first film alot because of the trench run, in the books this event is referred to endlessly and its a very important moment imo. the ewoks most definately spoil RotJ though.

gah, going to have to watch it now too :D

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Watching Empire Strikes Back now !

Loving it !

Funny quotes so far:

Leah: Laser brain

Solo: Laugh it up furball !

Leah: I'd sooner kiss a wookie !
Solo: I can arrange that. You could use a good kiss !

C3PO: Sir, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are exactly 3,720 to 1 !
Solo: Never tell me the odds !

Ezteq

Queen of OT
1st one tbh, cracking stuff but i really love all 3 (and yes i do love those ewoks... at least untill the restraining order comes through).

the three piles of crap they call the prequals are just not worth mentioning imo, very very rarely anything set before the origional ever works they just cant do it, they cant give it the same ambiance and the technology always kicks the arse of the origional which just isnt right (startrek... then enterprise, i so dont think so, though the episode in DS9 where they travelled back to kirks enterprise was very good).

*retrieves escaping wicket*

get back under that desk mister!

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Incidentaly, Empire is the only SW movie that George Lucas didnt direct, and its widely regarded as the best one ^^

Himse

FH is my second home
Svartmetall said:
Argh, I clicked on 'Jedi' when I meant 'Empire'...nnghh...

Although - I'd like 'Jedi' the most if it didn't have the fuckin' Ewoks in. I hate the little bastards. Replace the Ewoks with what it was originally intended to be, Wookiee slave labourers being used to build the Death Star getting freed by the Rebel demolitions team, and the Endor stuff would have been awesome.

All that stuff with Luke, Vader + the Emperor in the throne room, that's some of my favourite Star Wars moments right there...

Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
Palpatine: *snarls* Your faith in your friends is yours!

...brilliant. Palpatine is so wonderfully malevolent throughout 'Jedi'. Iain McDiarmid fucking owns; he's one of the only watchable things in 'Phantom Menace', and he rocks all through the second two Prequel Trilogy films too. The Opera House scene in 'Sith' with him and Anakin - all the "Did you ever hear The Tragedy Of Darth Plageuis?" stuff - is just great, watching him manipulate Anakin so beautifully.

Haha Svart and his Ewok flame :D It always made me laugh on vent :p "Damn those bloody annoying little creatures ! <along comes small impression> !"

DavidH

Part of the furniture
The Hoth battle was filmed not far from where I live actually, in a place called Finse in Norway
And my favorite is ESB as well. The ultimate Star Wars movie!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Star Wars Books

I fancy reading them, starting with the first one.

Anyone know what the very first set of Star Wars book titles are ?

There are so many.

Thx

Dukat

Resident Freddy
How do you mean very first? there are authors about who do books that go back to like, thousands of years before the trilogy is set, thats mostly 'expanded universe' though afaik, not certain about all of that, the "offical books" still go back a fair few years before the first films though too.

Theres a timeline with alot of the official books listed here that you might find helpful:

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/starwars/timeline.html

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Dukat said:
How do you mean very first? there are authors about who do books that go back to like, thousands of years before the trilogy is set, thats mostly 'expanded universe' though afaik, not certain about all of that, the "offical books" still go back a fair few years before the first films though too.

Theres a timeline with alot of the official books listed here that you might find helpful:

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/starwars/timeline.html

Thanks for that, but I'm even more confused now LOL !

Where do I start ? I need to speak to someone who's read em all I think :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Fana said:
Incidentaly, Empire is the only SW movie that George Lucas didnt direct, and its widely regarded as the best one ^^
haha yeah :D well, he's never been a master of directing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom