PC Master Race Faulty GPU?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Is it my GPU that's faulty?

My pc has started to randomly disconnect the monitor ie it's like I've unplugged the hdmi cable and the fans go full blast.

Doesn't happen all the time. GPU-Z didn't display any abnormal temps or anything.

I thought it might be the GPU so swapped it out for older one I have. Also removed memory sticks one at a time and then both.

Removing both the pc beeped and also no graphics card it moaned at me. So dont think mobo is the problem. Thought it could be psu?

Now the old card seems stable apart from one day when same screen disconnect happened but I reseated the card and the power cables and seems fine.

I've stress tested with 3 games running at same time. Gpu temp 60c at 100% load and cup temp at 52c memory usage 6GB out of 8.

It's been running 10 mins now so reckon it was old gpu that's faulty?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sounds like you've isolated it to me

Ono

Part of the furniture
Nice

i am waiting for the 30xx cards to update my 1080.
I have 2400 speed ram. Will 3200 speed ram make much of a difference? I hearing it makes more of an impact on amd procs and i have intel.

i bought the ram when it was really expensive. Haha
Ryzen works better with faster RAM. Mine are 3200Mhz although in hindsight, I should have got 3600Mhz. Not sure if Intel cpus are impacted.

The 30xx cards will no doubt be decent but I was just itching to try out raytracing. To be honest, it's a bit underwhelming so far but looking forward to RTX Minecaft!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm let down by the GPU in benchmarks but it's perfectly good for what I do with it (which is mostly non-game stuff with the CPU tbh which is why I went for such a beast). You're right about the RAM too, I did a lot of reading and comparing with QVL lists etc and ended up with 32 GB of 3600 Mhz C16.

3dmark.jpg

Ono

Part of the furniture
Crikey. I was about to say the gpu was overkill until I read the bit about non-game work. I presume video editing or something?

Still a monster rig though.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I'm let down by the GPU in benchmarks but it's perfectly good for what I do with it (which is mostly non-game stuff with the CPU tbh which is why I went for such a beast). You're right about the RAM too, I did a lot of reading and comparing with QVL lists etc and ended up with 32 GB of 3600 Mhz C16.

View attachment 41138

The standard time spy CPU test dpesnt scale well beyond 8 cores, the extreme on should scale up to 64 cores

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The standard time spy CPU test dpesnt scale well beyond 8 cores, the extreme on should scale up to 64 cores
I did all the standard benchmarks you see in reviews like Cinebench R20 but didn't look into 3d Mark tbh because I knew the GPU wouldn't compete.

Crikey. I was about to say the gpu was overkill until I read the bit about non-game work. I presume video editing or something?

Still a monster rig though.
I'm bowled over by the CPU tbh. I had a 6-core i7 5930K before which wasn't a slouch by any means but this blows it out of the water. I've always encoded Blu-rays on the veryslow preset in Handbrake and, for the first time, they're done in less time than it takes to watch them. Often much less time... they fly along at 35-40 fps now.

It's mostly for video editing/rendering/encoding but also some data science work. Lots of threads is also great for virtual machines. And it's all on a Mini-ITX board in a small(ish) form factor case as well. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wanna do it but ain't paying for a benchmark.

Especially since I've just spent over a hundred quid on a new bin :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Wanna do it but ain't paying for a benchmark.

Especially since I've just spent over a hundred quid on a new bin :(
Get the demo one from steam. Its free and runs the time spy test.

6D3DD624-6474-4B51-A0CA-7D24C0453172.jpeg

Not bad for 2 years old. Showed better than 65% :)

Ono

Part of the furniture
A couple of hours??!!

It had better be good because twitch is shit.
I just left the stream on and did other things.

You need a Riot account (League of Legends shit) linked to Twitch.

Game is free and just as fun as CSGO but has 128 tick servers.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I just left the stream on and did other things.

You need a Riot account (League of Legends shit) linked to Twitch.

Game is free and just as fun as CSGO but has 128 tick servers.

32 hours later I have the key. o_O
I hope this is worth the effort

Ono

Part of the furniture
32 hours later I have the key. o_O
I hope this is worth the effort
Add me to you Riot Friends mate: Riot ID: ono888 tagline: 6789

I jsut got my ranking of Iron 3 - which is equivalent to shit in CSGO.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Added you.
It's actually quite a cool game.

Took me a while to notice you could buy armour :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom