Advice Faulty goods?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gents,

One of my camera lenses has recently developed a fault (the inability to focus at infinity). Googling for said issue seems to reveal a reasonable number of people with the same issue (lens is a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8). The lens is under one year old.

I bought the lens from Warehouse Express (now WEX Photographic) who's customer service is always very good. They said they were unable to replace the lens, but no issues in securing a repair. I sent the lens back and it's been with their approved repairer for three weeks. The lens has come back "no fault found".

Now, they've shipped it back to me and there is clearly a fault with the lens so I have phoned WEX (also written an email to them) with several attached images clearly demonstrating the fault. They've offered to cover the cost of the shipping to get it back to them so they can send it off to their approved repairer again.

My question is:

- what happens if the approved repairer still says they can't find a fault (even though it's fucking obvious, even to Stevie Wonder)?
- am I entitled to request a replacement lens?

I've checked the sale of goods act and it does suggest that a replacement / refund (within reason) is possible if they are unable to repair due to a defect, but I'm unsure how many "offers of repair" is reasonable.

Embattle

FH is my second home
You are entering the quagmire, if it comes back again with WEX unwilling to replace/refund it you may need to seek an independent report on the lens to see if there is a fault upon which you can then approach WEX again and if that fails perhaps the small claims court etc.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gents,

One of my camera lenses has recently developed a fault (the inability to focus at infinity). Googling for said issue seems to reveal a reasonable number of people with the same issue (lens is a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8). The lens is under one year old.

I bought the lens from Warehouse Express (now WEX Photographic) who's customer service is always very good. They said they were unable to replace the lens, but no issues in securing a repair. I sent the lens back and it's been with their approved repairer for three weeks. The lens has come back "no fault found".

Now, they've shipped it back to me and there is clearly a fault with the lens so I have phoned WEX (also written an email to them) with several attached images clearly demonstrating the fault. They've offered to cover the cost of the shipping to get it back to them so they can send it off to their approved repairer again.

My question is:

- what happens if the approved repairer still says they can't find a fault (even though it's fucking obvious, even to Stevie Wonder)?
- am I entitled to request a replacement lens?

I've checked the sale of goods act and it does suggest that a replacement / refund (within reason) is possible if they are unable to repair due to a defect, but I'm unsure how many "offers of repair" is reasonable.
Surely you can return it under the premise it does not work as advertised. Then it is the responsibility of WEX to fix it until it performs as per the manufacturer specs?

old.user4556

Unsure Deebs, I may have shot myself in the foot by saying "I took photos with it last year and it was fine", so the fault has been since then and wasn't wonky on arrival.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Unsure Deebs, I may have shot myself in the foot by saying "I took photos with it last year and it was fine", so the fault has been since then and wasn't wonky on arrival.
That should make no difference. The item you purchased does not perform under the manufacturer specs. Regardless of age, the EU Consumer laws are on your side. Tell them to fix it else you require a refund.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Doesn't this come under basic warranty? if it breaks or whatever within x amoumt of time then you are entitled to a refund.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/

Lots of useful info on this site, basically the product isn't fit for purpose, quote the SOGA at them and inform them that while the product may have been ok, the developed fault is the sign of a product that isn't fit for purpose. They should replace it and take it up with Tonika tbh.

old.user4556

Thanks guys - you're all correct, maybe I'm being a bit soft about it, but I'm going through the motions of allowing them to offer me a repair. The bottom line is that the lens is defective for the purpose that it was bought for, I have put a covering letter in with the lens and will send it back to WEX (who are covering the cost of the second return), part of it is as follows:

This is the second attempt to repair the lens.

In order to support this case, I have sent several images to WEX Photographic clearly demonstrating that I am unable to twist the focus ring enough to bring distant objects into focus when using the lens at f/2.8 (thus, focus the lens to infinity). This is absolutely critical when photographing the night sky. I have provided sample images to WEX demonstrating the clear and marked difference between two images before and after the fault appeared along with sample images demonstrating the absolutely unacceptable image quality at f/2.8 since this fault occurred.
Please note – this issue has been reported across the internet with this lens, so this is NOT limited to my copy. Please refer to the following links as an example:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=37954853
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/996067
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?235413-No-infinity-on-Tokina-11-16

I do not believe Kenro are testing this thoroughly enough, or that they are not examining their images closely enough to see the fault. WEX need to supply Kenro with my samples so that they can see the fault very clearly. I have also tested the lens on TWO other camera bodies and the fault remains.

If a repair is not possible, I would like my lens to be replaced with another copy as the goods are clearly defective as proven by the sample images provided.

The moral of this story? Buy mother fucking Canon lenses.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh your conclusion is what my photo shoppy mate would say. I personally find that more than a little corner cutting, but hey, on the other hand the Tokina/Sigma/Tamron's of the world are "cheaper" for a reason. shame that you got hit though. imo the real cockup here is the repair company daring to issue a NFF where you can replicate the problem 100% of the time.

old.user4556

Sadly Tokina is the only manufacturer that does a lens this wide, with an aperture this wide for APS-C sensors.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You've tested it on other cameras, right?

old.user4556

Sample image.

Attachments

• _MG_0230_f2_8.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Are those pylons out of focus when you zoom into them?

old.user4556

Yes - remember the focal range is tiny (11mm to 16mm), although they are slightly less blurry but still not in focus.

- English -

Resident Freddy
dont you have a picture of when its working, and take one of when its not working so we can see the difference?:D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yes - remember the focal range is tiny (11mm to 16mm), although they are slightly less blurry but still not in focus.

That would suggest to me that the lens's backfocus is out.

old.user4556

dont you have a picture of when its working, and take one of when its not working so we can see the difference?:D

It doesn't work at f/2.8 at all now, but here's one from when it was ok.

Edit: keep in mind that this is at ISO 1600 with noise reduction, so some details will appear smeared. The obvious difference is that stars are points of light, not out of focus blobs (unlike the image below).

Attachments

• _MG_8574_GOOD_EXAMPLE.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 25

old.user4556

Here's a recent shot at f/3.5 - you can see the marked difference in the blurriness of stars against the good example.

Attachments

• _MG_0195_f3_5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25

old.user4556

So what do you reckon on the samples then? Shit eh.

milou

Part of the furniture
As Embattle says, I think if the repairer says no issue at fault, then you're entering the territory of independent reports.

I'm not sure about your issue though. There's clearly some problem. Not helpful I know.

old.user4556

I was contacted by a bloke today at WEX who is keen to resolve this and will be testing the lens (almost independently...) himself tomorrow. I talked him through the issue in detail and he seemed concerned that there was something definitely not right with it. His opinion on the samples were that "they're not acceptable, i'd expect this lens to perform much better than this". Once he has the lens in his hands, he's going to call me and test it with me over the phone so we can talk through and (hopefully) replicate it infront of his eyes.

old.user4556

WEX have tested it thoroughly.

The lens is woeful in their opinion, possibly a misaligned element. They've putting together a report to go to Kenro that their own testing (along with mine) has shown the lens to be defective, and if they won't repair then they'll be "pushing for a replacement".

They can push all they like, I would expect WEX to replace mine and take it from there. At least it's confirmed goosed.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I would suspect that it is the fact for them to get a refund/replacement it requires Kenro to acknowledge the fault.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Most retail operation's don't get an automatic reimbursement for a defective good without a strict policy put in by the supplier, the check is either done via the supplier directly but often is shipped out to a third party which is a pain in the arse....although I don't know WEX's system so it is pure speculation. The only company I know that doesn't tend to dispute much is Apple, but then they make so much money on products customer service is always top.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The contract Big G has is with WEX and not Kenro. Simple. That is how UK retail law works. If Kenro refuse to fix for whatever reason then WEX will have to reimburse or replace the lens at their cost and then take it up legally with Kenro.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The contract Big G has is with WEX and not Kenro. Simple. That is how UK retail law works. If Kenro refuse to fix for whatever reason then WEX will have to reimburse or replace the lens at their cost and then take it up legally with Kenro.

I'm not disputing that in any way, I'm just merely pointing out why WEX are doing what they are at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom