FAO: Wilier, Will, Gumbo, Tom, all other bike nuts ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hehe speaking of bubblewrap I'm trying to get my gf to ride my bike, and she does like to but not to jump off of things. she likes riding down stairs, but not jumping them :) I claim she's feart, but tbh I'm not sure which of us is more scared: her of doing it or me that she might actually have a go :eek6:

yesterday she thought it was a good idea to pull the front brake while at speed and nearly did a face-plant into concrete. "I didn't realise it would stop so fast" she says. the front brake is an 8" rotor dh class disk o_0

Will

/bin/su
I must learn to jump better. I did a drop of about 2 feet to a slight downslope 3 weeks ago...I didn't pull up hard enough for the speed I was doing, landed front wheel first, and was then launched by my rebound. Cut heel, sprained finger, and a broken helmet later, I've learned how to do it better. ;)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
TdC said:
hehe speaking of bubblewrap I'm trying to get my gf to ride my bike, and she does like to but not to jump off of things. she likes riding down stairs, but not jumping them :) I claim she's feart, but tbh I'm not sure which of us is more scared: her of doing it or me that she might actually have a go :eek6:

yesterday she thought it was a good idea to pull the front brake while at speed and nearly did a face-plant into concrete. "I didn't realise it would stop so fast" she says. the front brake is an 8" rotor dh class disk o_0

Perhaps what you're truely scared of is that she'll be better at it than you...
:p

Clown

Part of the furniture
When I was younger, I always used to jump little walls and ramps with a shitty mountain bike. Cue the twisted handlebars and winded fat boys.

TdC

WPKenny said:
Perhaps what you're truely scared of is that she'll be better at it than you...
:p

:eek:

TdC

Will said:
I must learn to jump better. I did a drop of about 2 feet to a slight downslope 3 weeks ago...I didn't pull up hard enough for the speed I was doing, landed front wheel first, and was then launched by my rebound. Cut heel, sprained finger, and a broken helmet later, I've learned how to do it better. ;)

it's not actually gone wrong yet for me. my theory is that I shall have to prang terribly at some point before I can really learn to ride. up to now I don't really know where the edges of the envelope are.

Will

/bin/su
As long as you pop up the front wheel, and land rear wheel (very slightly) first, you'll be fine.

TdC

I somehow manage to do it without (much) dwelling. I also have yet to wear the armor I got while visiting you. however there is the 1 meter direct drop.... I'm not doing that without shins and helmet. and max there to take pictures of me killing myself :)

Will

/bin/su
One metre should be ok. The problem with street stuff is that the landing is pretty harsh if/when you fuck up.

TdC

one meter is more than three feet :) your saying I should be ok is a bit dodgy when comeing from a guy who pranged horribly from a 2" drop ;)

TdC

I fully intend to make you stand in awe of my leetness you know. then you can spank me speeding up dutch "hills"

TdC

hur hur I'll be watching when you do my one meter drop :)

TdC

Lazarus said:
you ever gonna ride it teedles, or is it more "real life art" kinda thing

index.php

took me a while to get a pic but there you go :)

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
On a bike related note my broken collarbone should be workable in 3 weeks. I have a pic of my doing the jump that battered me tomorrow (seing as i have lots of time off :/ ). Been having a few scans this weekend and if the big broken off lump doesnt start aiming towards a smooth collar bone they may have to operate. The actual break didnt look bad on the scan on the saturday night i did it but fook me its nasty when you arent high on adrenaline and codeine :)

Any anyways booo to you TdC to make me think about getting back on my bike way too soon.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My bike has started making strange noises/clacks.

Now I've been riding bikes for ever, and my first thought was that perhaps the crank bearing race had broken, because you feel the noises though the pedals, but no, the crank freewheels absolutely fine.

I can also induce this noise while stood still, foot on the pedal, and leaning on the front forks. But its not the forks.

The only thing I can think of is that either the chain/cogs are getting worn down, or perhaps the rear wheel hub is on its way out.

Any ideas? It still rides fine, can't feel any resistance anywhere. I'm stumped.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
My bike has started making strange noises/clacks.

Now I've been riding bikes for ever, and my first thought was that perhaps the crank bearing race had broken, because you feel the noises though the pedals, but no, the crank freewheels absolutely fine.

I can also induce this noise while stood still, foot on the pedal, and leaning on the front forks. But its not the forks.

The only thing I can think of is that either the chain/cogs are getting worn down, or perhaps the rear wheel hub is on its way out.

Any ideas? It still rides fine, can't feel any resistance anywhere. I'm stumped.

Try greasing your pedals. The noise may be sticky dry bearings, take the pedals off and put a generous amount of grease on the thread and in the crank.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Picture29.jpg

CRACK! :(

Sorry about quality but may mate taking pic is sat level. There was no lip in the jump and i was going too slow. So the lip on the right is actually only 1 third of the height travel, you may notice my bike is already dipping down hence me landing on front wheel and ploughing myself into the grass verge lower down off the picture on the left.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Doomy said:
Try greasing your pedals. The noise may be sticky dry bearings, take the pedals off and put a generous amount of grease on the thread and in the crank.

Thats not a bad idea. Remind me, on the right side (as you're on the bike riding it) which way does the thread on the pedal turn?

TdC

umm...to the left to release it Tom, iirc. I always forget it too :/

from that pic looks like you made an unlucky smacker there Doomy. hope your collarbone rights itself and they don't have to operate (though on the other hand they may well fix it nicely if they do operate). good luck anyway!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I have to admit, I have both a racing bike and a mountain bike, and I do prefer the racing bike. I just enjoy the feel of racing along smooth tarmac at 20mph, its much better IMO than cycling around a dirt track and having to climb fences and stuff :/

TdC

but Tom....the not knowing if it were mud or horse shite that just sprayed in your face is part of the charm!! :eek:

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Whichever crank you are looking at (pedal toward you), turn the spanner toward the rear wheel to undo. (forward tightens obv, so your pedals cant come undone through normal riding if theyre arent fitted tight)

It could be your pedals Tom, although like you say, it may also be your chain/cassette. The teeth will have some amount of "hooky" shape if they are worn. You can tell if your chain is very worn by seeing if it has any lift when on the cassetts.

If its either, change both.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
On my racer, if the chain/cogs are worn down its easy to tell as the chain skips under pressure.

I'll take a look at the pedals, I've got tons of bike tools...

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
My bike

Just got my new camphone and i thought what do I most love in my life.

Image000.jpg

Thats why Im hardly here anymore. Also the thing that fooked my idea of spending summer 'outside' due to bone snappage.

Purdy huh :)

Will

/bin/su
Nice. One of my mates has got an Enduro, and he loves it. I'm a bit too tall for a bike with an interrupted seat tube, I can't get the seat out of the way when I need it, if I drop it as much as I like, it hits the rear shock. And you should get the wee Specialized shock mudguard to stop it getting filled with crud. ;)

And I've only broken my rib three times in twelve months thanks to cycling. But its worth it. :D

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
My budget for upgrades took a battering when I ordered everything I didnt really need but that shock guard :) It was what I was going to order but ended up getting...

Saint 3 ring Crank
XT Cassette
Posh Sram Chain
USE Carbon/Titanium Seat.
XT Shifters
XT Front Der

Oh and XTR cabling which is split so considering the cable routing is on the downtube its useless :)

Enduro shock guard will be ordered when im allowed to.

BTW The seat post should be stopped by the frame from getting anywhere near the shock :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom