FAO: Wilier, Will, Gumbo, Tom, all other bike nuts ;)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Will I might have been interested if that wasnt just 1 speed. very cool looking bike. Plus I could have come down and collected it. Am out in edinburgh alot.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Can somebody recommend a good saddle? Mine doesn't half make your crotch sore, even after a few weeks of regular cycling.

Budget no more than £30 (I presume that saddles are still around this price?)

Also, how does one attach a crud-catcher to a bike that has gear cables running down the underside of the downtube?

Will

/bin/su
Leggy : It'll take gears, but it would need a rear mech attachment, which I would get, and you wouldn't be able to use the Gyro (lets you do barspins).

Also, it weighs 35lbs. I use it for downhilling and street. I've tried doing cross country on it, but it weighs too much.

Tom : For a road bike, or for a mountain bike?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Mountain bike, restricted to slightly dirty tracks and bumpy roads, no heavy stuff.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Any other sites Will? I'm not quite ready to fork out £400 quid for a bike yet :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Tom said:
Mountain bike, restricted to slightly dirty tracks and bumpy roads, no heavy stuff.

I recently got a planetX uranus on my XC bike, and I am surprised how comfy it is after a selle italia thing made of alloy with a thin rubber coating. not that pricy either.

more precise:
I had this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4127
it's designed to hurt you after 50km or so.

I now have one of these: http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/index...=view_page&PAGE_id=55&MMN_position=60:59#2005
it's comfy!

Will

/bin/su

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Tom said:

Selle Italia Flite the only saddle you will ever need.

I have these fitted to all my bikes, road, cross and XC, although I dont do any of that silly jumping stuff.

Nice bike Teeds, not my style, but looks like it should take a good bashing :)

Clown, much as it pains me to say it, have a look at some of the stuff that Claude Butler do. Theyre not hardcore or anything but very, very good value.
This one looks quite nice for the money.

Incidentally, Mrs Wil is after a new steed. She actually managed to break a Trek OCLV 9800 in the week, snapped at the bottom bottom bracket, but having a look around, she cant find anything she fancies of a similar standard (£2k+) that has less that 80mm travel (not needed for XC imho) We should be able to get a new 9.8 frame in exchange (gotta love lifetime warrenty) but the dealer we got it from has closed down.

Will

/bin/su
I don't think you'll manage to get a frame with less than 80mm travel nowadays...or a fork for that matter. What you need is a set of 130's, like mine. :)

Though I do that silly jumping stuff. :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I like that Teeds, looks similar to this Ive always like Pace bikes, actually rode for them one season through FreeTown Bikes in Hull, but never got to keep the bike :(

TdC

damn, for some odd reason I can't get on to the pace site from here at work :(

TdC

cheers Laz! much thanking! :)

o.m.g.! that frame! it must weigh a kilo! makes mine look fat and ugly! Wilier, you shouldn't have hung about waiting for them to give you a bike, I'd have made off with the thing across the fields laughing such a laugh as the pious would expect on the lips of satan :D

Will

/bin/su
Wilier, have you considered a Cotic Soul? It takes 100-130mm forks, made of Reynolds 853, and every person who owns one raves about it. A bit more robust than a pure XC bike, but a comfier ride and more travel, without being too heavy.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Will said:
made of Reynolds 853,

:eek6: STEEL..........*cough* STEEL

Have to admit though, my 1st road bike was 753 which was great, but Im not sure its right for Mrs Wil. She only weighs 7 1/2st wet through. The carbon of the Trek was excellent for her, since the frame was so light.

She rang the Trek importer yesterday and they said they would contact a local-ish Trek dealer to come and inspect the frame with a view to a replacement, which is really rather good imho, although it still means I'll need to get her some new forks, since her old Manitou's are only 50mm, and the 9.8 is designed for 80's. TBH, I think we'll end up getting a new groupset and wheels too, do the new frame justice :)

TdC

YaY! help me here Wilier :) I've been trying to get Will to accept that steel is bad, and that scandium, carbon and titanium are the way forward ;)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
To my shame, Ive never ridden a Ti frame, although I always fancied a Merlin, but could never find a team who used them.

Aluminium Ive had a few.....Orange, Pace and a Giant. My road bike is Scandium and Carbon, and that really does rock. As for Carbon, I have a 9.8 so I know thats brilliant. The great thing about it is that a well made carbon frame has the vibration absorbing properties of steel but you lose a load of weight too.

I have a friend who had a Chas Roberts custom built D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X. which was made from some super-thin Columbus tubing (steel) and it was a great machine, just a tad too heavy for XC imho.

Steel has its place, just not in this century. :kissit:

Will

/bin/su
Ti is great...all the chatter absorbing qualities of steel (as well as the long long lifespan), yet lighter. And a certain zing that only Ti gets. 853 is close though. For a general trail bike, I do like steel. The difference between 4130 chromo, and 853 steel, is amazing. :)

For hardcore XC racing, Alu and carbon is the way to go I think. You don't need it to last forever, and your wheels aren't going to leave the ground. However, I don't know that much about frames in these materials. I do have some Pace RC31 forks though. ;)

TdC

those pace forks are pretty yummy tbh :) I was a bit miffed to find that the pricing wasn't in euros though :/

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
My push bike in need of a night in with the muc-off :)
VT2-03.jpg

Will

/bin/su
I can't see any actually mud on that. You should have seen my singlespeed...no cleaning, just lube the chain if it started squeaking too loudly. ;)

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunately I have a cleaning fetish when it comes to my bike and like it to look pristine before I take it out next. Completely pointless as it gets covered in shite again in minutes!

Will

/bin/su
Do you want to come and clean my bike? Its a state, and I can't be arsed.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Cleaned mine the other day, also decided to sort some issues with the brakes plus change the chain. My bike had been in a bike shop last year to have some new parts fitted such as the outer chainring, brakes and a new cassette. My recent issue with my brakes can be traced to how the shop fitted the washers, basically they put them in the wrong sequence meaning the brake blocks were always too close to the rim even though the tension screws were at max. Then they didn't seem to notice the rather large gap between the front derailleur and the new outer chainring they had fitted, resulting in the rather dodgy shifting I've suffered lately......oh well all sorted now but going to have to fine tune it tomorrow.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Slightly related I guess, Ive started training in earnest again, managed to do 11 hrs over the weekend (4 days) at around an average 19mph, which is OK for this time of the year, and considering I havnt really done much for a year or so, I was fairly chuffed.

Pleased to have a day off today though. :)

TdC

to do some voodoo and revive an old thread...I jumped my Gimp off a 4 step urban drop yesterday! five steps if you count the ground, total height about a meter I guess, or three feet for you olde stylee people ;) never done something like that before, and boy did my adrenalin gland get a beating!

it was stairs though, so felt reasonably safe. around the corner from that is a meter's worth of drop that is instant, without a slope or anything. going for that once I get my helmet o_0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom