Fao GMs

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
If they did this, they might as well make all the characters RR12, ML10 and give em all the best gear.

If all people want to do is PvP and thats all the enjoy, then there's no need for anyone to earn RPs at all. Is it the combat they love rather than the sense of achievement in earning RPs?

So yeah, implement this idea, but remove the features of RvR on a standard server, earning RPs etc, so its just about combat and testing. That way it won't impact on the larger community and screw it up.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Leave the game, well yes, it seems to me you are looking for something dedicated to player vs player, hence the CS comments. There are more PVP orientated games out there than there are true MMORPGs, knowing the difference is one thing to keep in mind.

No - why do you keep mentioning CS? I enjoy DAOC - in the beginning it was for the PVE / RVR mix, but now it's more for the RVR - which is not the same as Camlann style free for all PVP - I wouldn't like that at all. I can think of at least one mmorpg that offers something I'd like, but it's still beta and we shall see.

Anyway why would I leave when I'm having so much fun on Gorre?

old.Whoodoo said:
Yes Gorre offers a new level of entertainment, but anything new will, the RvR system as we know it has been completely revamped, nothing the other side of Svasud Faste is the same, so NF has given the game a new lease of life. Perhaps in 6 months this point should be raised, but for now, let it at least go live before asking for a major hack into the game as we know it.

At last a whole paragraph that makes sense and isn't rude! I agree with the above, although 6 months is perhaps an excessively long time - but you're right there is some novelty value. We all get bored of doing the same thing over and over after a while. Which I believe is one of my main points, although with reference to PVE.

old.Whoodoo said:
Yes I do support COOP btw, I think that like NF would bring a lot more entertainment to the game, but unlike Camlann, it would not be populated by the "l33ts" of the game, but by people who enjoy a new challenge and to maintain the balance of the game.

I would probably try out a COOP server for the novelty value, but like most DAOC players (I believe) would find a no PVP server very unfulfilling in the medium to long term. Although I have nothing against it if GOA is willing to put up the resources for a minority of players to enjoy this style of play.

And yes Camlann is populated by "l33ts" and although it was fun for a couple of weeks at first, I don't like it either.

Remember though that a Gold and Glory server would not be free for all style PVP - so don't imply that it would be similar to Camlann.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Sendraks said:
If they did this, they might as well make all the characters RR12, ML10 and give em all the best gear.

My idea is yes ML10, but not RR12 - everyone should start RR1 - it would then conserve the RPG feel of developing your character, without the downside of PVE.

As for gear I'm not sure - either make everyone's arties level 10 as soon as they activate them. Or make arties level (fast) in RVR like Crown of Zahur and Tartaros Gift do currently. Oh and no need to farm scrolls either please! Or perhaps disable all arties.

The important thing is to avoid any repetitive PVE (scroll farming and xping).

Chilly

Balls of steel
Lendan said:
My idea is yes ML10, but not RR12 - everyone should start RR1 - it would then conserve the RPG feel of developing your character, without the downside of PVE.

As for gear I'm not sure - either make everyone's arties level 10 as soon as they activate them. Or make arties level (fast) in RVR like Crown of Zahur and Tartaros Gift do currently. Oh and no need to farm scrolls either please! Or perhaps disable all arties.

The important thing is to avoid any repetitive PVE (scroll farming and xping).
so when the gank sqauds with opted groups start farming the masses its still "level playing field"? No, its not cos some guys will have 5k rp some will have 5 mil, just like now. RPs are an extension of the grind of PvE in terms of time/reward you CANNOT achieve a level playing field in this game apart from base/specline abils on a class-class basis or zerg-zerg basis. It just will not, cannot and has never happened.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I really hate grinding out the RPs ;) how about RR12 on the normal servers but keep the Pve there :p

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
so when the gank sqauds with opted groups start farming the masses its still "level playing field"? No, its not cos some guys will have 5k rp some will have 5 mil, just like now. RPs are an extension of the grind of PvE in terms of time/reward you CANNOT achieve a level playing field in this game apart from base/specline abils on a class-class basis or zerg-zerg basis. It just will not, cannot and has never happened.

It's not so much about a level playing field - any game with ranks / levels xp etc. will not have that.

My point is simply - a server with no PVE for people who don't want to do that any more.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
I really don't see why there should be RPs in this idea at all. If the whole purpose is pure PvP, then its the combat thats important. Therefore everyone should be on the same playing field without the capacity for this change except through tactics or numbers.

Players probably should get free unlimited RA respecs so they can switch their RAs as time progresses and keep the game fresh.

However, even if you give everyone ML10 and RR12, how do you balance weapons. Do you just make everyone shop in DF, or do you leave all the PvE zones open for people to farm? The latter goes against the whole point of this idea, as playing field will still not be level as different individuals will have a different capacity to acquire different items. So you're stuck with everyone using pretty much the same gear, which will get dull after a while.

I don't see how you can make this work without creating a /lvl 50 server, which would not be helpful for the larger DAoC community.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Sendraks said:
I really don't see why there should be RPs in this idea at all. If the whole purpose is pure PvP, then its the combat thats important. Therefore everyone should be on the same playing field without the capacity for this change except through tactics or numbers.

Players probably should get free unlimited RA respecs so they can switch their RAs as time progresses and keep the game fresh.

However, even if you give everyone ML10 and RR12, how do you balance weapons. Do you just make everyone shop in DF, or do you leave all the PvE zones open for people to farm? The latter goes against the whole point of this idea, as playing field will still not be level as different individuals will have a different capacity to acquire different items. So you're stuck with everyone using pretty much the same gear, which will get dull after a while.

I don't see how you can make this work without creating a /lvl 50 server, which would not be helpful for the larger DAoC community.

Well even if they just kept it open as a test server I'd be happy with that too. If you wanted to make a true "no PVE required" server then yes something would have to be done about equipment - either the best stuff would need to be freely available to all, or people could purchase it with their bounty points or something.

The essence of the idea though is a casual server where anyone can pop in for some RVR and not be forced to do any PVE. If people can develop their characters to gain an advantage - that's fine - as long as it's done through RVR.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
PvE becomes optional in 1.70 anyhow - other than for quests/MLs and artifact encounters.
patch notes said:
Levels Through RVR Experience

Through the New Frontiers expansion, players now have the option of engaging in PvE OR RvR combat to gain levels. The experience awards for realm vs. realm combat have been increased for the standard servers. Players will be awarded 8 times more experience than they were previously awarded for killing enemy players in the frontiers.

It is possible if you are really that allergic to hitting mobs to level entirely in battlegrounds and the frontiers.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
I just want a test server, even with /charcopy (i.e. you'll get your toon that you have on the normal server and experiment with it). Saves respec stones!

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
PvE becomes optional in 1.70 anyhow - other than for quests/MLs and artifact encounters.

It is possible if you are really that allergic to hitting mobs to level entirely in battlegrounds and the frontiers.

Yeah I had noticed that patch note actually - will definitely try it out - just hope there's enough people around to xp off! ;)

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
I quote;
New Grouping Level Range Changes

With this version, we are also relaxing the rules that govern the level ranges that can effectively group together. The intent of this new system is to allow lower-level players to group with substantially higher-level group leaders, and enable them to make some contribution to combat and spellcasting.[/list]

• Whenever a low-level character (5th level or higher) joins a group led by a higher level character, they are temporarily adjusted so that they can hit and land spells on monsters of the range that are normally fought by the group leader. They will be able to hit, and also to do damage to these monsters.

• This adjustment kicks in when a player approximately 90% of the level of the group leader or less joins a group. This means that if anyone less than 17th level joins a group led by a 20th level group leader, their to-hit and damage are boosted up so that they can hit and damage monsters that are commonly fought by a 20th level group. Also, while grouped, they will take less damage per hit from high level monsters.

• This system does not affect items such as weapons or armor - only to-hit and damage, and to some extent, damage taken is affected.

• Lower level group members must be within 3000 units of the group leader in order to receive the bonus.

• Experience gained by the lower level character is the same as it currently is on the live servers when lower level characters are grouped with higher level friends.

So.. doesn't this mean that leveling has been made easier as you can group with higherlevel friends now without any penalty to those higher levels, meanwhile you can level up in the Frontiers too.. So...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom