Fao GMs

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
with regards to NF Beta, I got no issues so far, no bugs to report, the whole thing has been fun fun fun. when servers go down we can quickly log back in regroup and fire away.

Playing against otehr Europeans is great, the action is great, the making a new char with hope and Glory is just uber. Tbh, I was thinking if Europe could have a new server permanently where people all over Europe can log in just to RvR mebe and Make chars auto lvl 50 with it4mz, might be a good idea...

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
no thanks - more level grind

It would drasticaly change the format of the game to strip out the need to level 1-50 on a server.

Why bother with levels at all in that case ?

Chilly

Balls of steel
no no, its a great idea, keep all the wankers on 1 server and leave excalibur (and the 3 people left on it) to the nice ppl

Dafft

One of Freddy's beloved
Chilly said:
no no, its a great idea, keep all the wankers on 1 server and leave excalibur (and the 3 people left on it) to the nice ppl

so,

that puts you out the picture then eh? stupid tossbucket

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Actually I think that's a great idea. Have a Europe wide Gold and Glory server (Free ML10 too please though!)

I'm loving being able to play any class and spec I want at the drop of a hat - for those of us who are tired of 2 years + of PVE and would love to keep playing DAOC, but are bored of our current level 50s and intimidated by the prospect of grinding up some new ones it's really perfect.

Although many guilds are divided along language lines - there are some multi lingual ones too, and for those of us who need to practise our French / German it's actually good fun.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Clipse said:
with regards to NF Beta, I got no issues so far, no bugs to report
Heh. We spent most of yesterday in same group - and we came across quite a few bugs. Guess you werent watching. For example:

The tower with doors that wouldnt open. Fixed by a server crash & reboot - we took it eventually
Early on when I died but couldnt release: just got the error message "Your not dead yet". /quit fixed this (which usually you cant do while dead) - but when I logged back in for some reason I was in Snowdonia rather than Sauvage where I had bound. Bit odd when I died in Emain .....
Various people at various times in the day couldnt get certain tower/keep doors to work for them. Each time using a different door - or just jumping off the wall - worked around this, but theres clearly some sort of bug there.

etc.

the whole thing has been fun fun fun
Cant argue there: was alot of fun yesterday :) Hope it works out the same way when it goes live on Excal ...

Chilly

Balls of steel
dafft you old ****, ofc i wasnt including myself in the last 3 remaining civil ppl, i may be a **** but i aint stupid ;)

Shrye

One of Freddy's beloved
Draylor said:
but when I logged back in for some reason I was in Snowdonia rather than Sauvage where I had bound.

You release to the nearest BK.

Blitzing

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Heh. We spent most of yesterday in same group - and we came across quite a few bugs. Guess you werent watching. For example:

The tower with doors that wouldnt open. Fixed by a server crash & reboot - we took it eventually
Early on when I died but couldnt release: just got the error message "Your not dead yet". /quit fixed this (which usually you cant do while dead) - but when I logged back in for some reason I was in Snowdonia rather than Sauvage where I had bound. Bit odd when I died in Emain .....
Various people at various times in the day couldnt get certain tower/keep doors to work for them. Each time using a different door - or just jumping off the wall - worked around this, but theres clearly some sort of bug there.

etc.

Cant argue there: was alot of fun yesterday :) Hope it works out the same way when it goes live on Excal ...

yea i got the one with the door not working to, kind of anoying, when you are getting chased by lots of enemies and you cant target the door and get in. though some times when i cant target door and get in, the side door normally work, if there is one :D

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Waste of time in my opinion, sounds to me like you should be playing counterstrike. Wheres the challenge in an RPG without some kind of earning system? A server where 3fg FOTM wonder killing others on a daily basis would be so boring, no adventure, no challenge and something else for peeps to whine about till their teeth bleed.

Lets have a 3rd English or COOP server, and stop talking like ebayed-neverdonethegrindandlearntmychar players.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Clipse said:
Tbh, I was thinking if Europe could have a new server permanently where people all over Europe can log in just to RvR mebe and Make chars auto lvl 50 with it4mz, might be a good idea...

OMFG, I agree with Zoyster!!!

Actually it is great idea, and it will not replace normal servers. What I want to see is a server where I can try out new specs and RAs (even new characters) before actually going for those changes on the regular server. Americans have /charcopy on Pedragon and they can try out something before doing any change on their regular toons. I think it's a great idea, wish it gets implemented (yeah right!!!)

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Waste of time in my opinion, sounds to me like you should be playing counterstrike.

That seems a bit patronising. PVE snobbery? Just because someone has become bored of PVE after 2 years doesn't mean that they have regressed into some kind of frenzied FPS shooter obsessed teen, as you seem to be implying.

Quite frankly people who have played DAOC PVE for so long and still find it captivating puzzle me. I can think of a lot more interesting things to do personally.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Shrye said:
You release to the nearest BK.
So Snowdonia is nearest to the Emain/Breifine border where I died that time - and yet Sauvage is nearer to DC (NE Emain) where I died the previous run?

Na, that doesnt feel right to me. Besides it was only 2-3 of the group that released to Snowdonia - rest released to Sauvage. And since we all died together .....

Vaar

Fledgling Freddie
I support this claim.

It has been a learning experience playing on Gorre. Learned more in a week about hibclasses than getting killed by them over 2 years could... It WOULD demand another top notch server like Excal (heh) rather than the older rack it is running on presently. Ofc some few tweaks would be needed, like more places for chests/keys, Free ML's (say ml6 for instance), possibly a cap on realm spots if possible (not ensuring balance in numbers but will help), Relics could be reset like once every month or smth or disabled, probably some more...

Not sure if it would be a lasting winner. I would stay (98%) on main server as will most, but if it is euopean openwide, there probably would be enough action I guess. Wide open for spying ofc, but when everybody knows its kinda irrellevant. Excellent for exploiting Fotm setups, but again so what, it's just for fun.

Fps... Well yes kinda, but as long as this do not interfere with the "real" servers I relly do not see the problem... I think very few would make Gorre their new exclusive home, due to language problems, shifting player mass, friends on home servers, and more...

GiveF perma Gorre:) And /applause GoA for giving this oppertunity:)

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
I would definetly welcome the provision of a permanent test server. Not one for GoA testing, but one where players can test chars before slogging to 50 and realising they don't like the char etc (and have great fun whilst doing it).

Wouldn't cost much, just leave Gorre as it is now and and have another machine as the internal test server.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Lendan said:
That seems a bit patronising. PVE snobbery? Just because someone has become bored of PVE after 2 years doesn't mean that they have regressed into some kind of frenzied FPS shooter obsessed teen, as you seem to be implying.

Quite frankly people who have played DAOC PVE for so long and still find it captivating puzzle me. I can think of a lot more interesting things to do personally.
Truth hurts, but no its not patronising asking for a game to be left in its real state of combined PvE and RvR is it. If you want pure PvP then there are alternatives. DAoC was the first decent game to offer the balance of both and here you are patronising the game with talk of removing one of the essentail elements.

in the same respect, I get sick of port emain>run to amg>die>/rel rinse and repeat. Hows that vary from the exp grind?

PvE is not "captivating" but it helps you get to know your fellow realm m8s, as opposed to set gank squads and l33t zerg, and gives you some sense of adventure.

This idea severly lacks imagination, and if implimented, will go down as badly as Camlann and things liek chocolate fireguards.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
dray sounds like you got the "/release but the client couldn't be arsed to /release with you" bug - i.e. you release on the server but the client doesn't update.

Had that myself.

As to the group being split between bks? odd - maybe you were spread over the borderline? :)

easy enough to port between the BKs though.

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
its a shit idea, gorre population atm is atleast 30-40% archers, 30-40% chars with boltrange and rest other fotm´s. Its like playing in a fucking bg, two sides standing with 2500 range from each other and doing nothing. And as a "normal" char trying get in nuke/mele range u get insta 4 arrows in u.
The game play on Gorre wont be anything like the normal servers when NF goes live and for those enjoying camping: Go play CS or camp a PK in BG :twak:

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
Just out of curiosity, what is a Co-op server ? how is it different ?

Painbringer

Fledgling Freddie
little bit like camlann but no PvP i think, mids,albs and hibs can team up etc, keeps are like mob encounters i think and get big exp when lord dies, not 100% but that's what i remember from reading up on it couple of years ago :)

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
you get rps for taking keeps, and different keeps are different levels of difficulty so you require a large force i think it works out that the furthest keeps are the highest level so crauch bled beno are all ubah hard.

ALso you can group up and exp in anyones frontiers / main realms etc so you could have a group made up of chars from all realms the problem is that certain master levels are totaly pointless because they dont work in pve and taking the keeps is classed as pve.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
in the same respect, I get sick of port emain>run to amg>die>/rel rinse and repeat. Hows that vary from the exp grind?

I see you haven't actually played on Gorre yet then - why are you posting against something you haven't even tried?

And as for "This idea severly lacks imagination, and if implimented, will go down as badly as Camlann and things liek chocolate fireguards" you know very well that after an initial interest a co-op server would be in a similar situation, yet still lobby for that.

And please stop using the "leet" speak to caricature people who enjoy RVR - we're not all like that you know!

I just don't like your style of argumentation at all - sweeping generalisations, tired clichés and comments on things you know little to nothing about.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Also I just want to add I am one of the very people who hated the port emain die at amg rel style RVR - I never ran in an opted "gank" group - (well I did a couple of times, but found the organiser to be too elitist, unfriendly and downright rude)

On Gorre I have been enjoying organising small groups of random people and going off to take towers and defend them.

When I can't be arsed organising tower takes, I go join the zerg and help out with heals rezzes etc or stalk around on the outskirts of battle with a stealther.

Really there is so much variety and choices, and it would take me months to level up all the different chars I enjoy playing on Gorre - I have no second account and no bb.

So you see - when you try to make out that a Gold and Glory type server would just be for leet gank groups I say "au contraire" (coz I'm a bit French like that) and say that it would in fact be the casual player's paradise.

In any case I am sure there are many "Bored of PVE" people like myself that are facing the choice of:

1. Grit their teeth and level some new 50s
2. Get a buffbot account to help levelling up
3. Leave the game and go find something else

I find none of the above particularly appealing, and I haven't had as much fun on a normal server in the past 6 months as I have had in one week on Gorre.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry to urinate upon your bonfire old bean, as my sig states - "E&E Team - Excalibur - Midgard" so I am indeed acustomed to the G&G in its various guises, and the benefits of all the character boosting anyone could want. I have also tried God mode on one of the less than legal servers (COAD) that used to exist, and beleive me, the novelty soon wears off.

I just don't like your style of argumentation at all - sweeping generalisations, tired clichés and comments on things you know little to nothing about.
And I dont like you looking down your nose thinking your sh*t doesnt stink either, but I dont say it out loud. oops, i just did.

The fact my arguement is full of tired cliches is because these posts are old in themselves. First it was "give me /level 20", then "give /level 30", "make artifacts easier", now its "sod the exp grind and all the things that make an MMORPG different from an FPS". What next, God mode, everyone typing /impulse 101 then /noclip and wondering round at warp 9 on speederbikes?

Oh and I fail to see where I generalised everyone into the "l337" group who play RvR, as I do enjoy it too, as do most. So you want a server with..

its a shit idea, gorre population atm is atleast 30-40% archers, 30-40% chars with boltrange and rest other fotm´s. Its like playing in a fucking bg, two sides standing with 2500 range from each other and doing nothing. And as a "normal" char trying get in nuke/mele range u get insta 4 arrows in u.
do you? As Oboy put it

The game play on Gorre wont be anything like the normal servers when NF goes live and for those enjoying camping: Go play CS or camp a PK in BG

/em gets his knitting needles ready for a biatch fight!

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
Gorre has been useful to me to test out final specs etc for my up and coming toons, got 2x50's on xcal - was going to do an NS or Ranger next - Gorre has helped loads - I can't get on with a Ranger - maybe my age - but I see other Rangers plinking away and I can't see shit (old git eyes gone) but NS - luvved it die loads but get some great 1v1 fights outside the big battles (h8 scouts with that dam shield stun :( )

Also useful for experimenting with diff specs for chars I already got at 50 :)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Flimgoblin said:
dray sounds like you got the "/release but the client couldn't be arsed to /release with you" bug - i.e. you release on the server but the client doesn't update.
Aye. Seems to be the problem GOA mentioned on Thursday - but they thought it was fixed? First time Id tried Gorre so no idea if it is common or not ;)

Clipse said:
Just out of curiosity, what is a Co-op server ? how is it different ?
Like the PvP server, without the PvP :p With mobs in the frontier keeps.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
I am indeed acustomed to the G&G in its various guises

Then why oh why do you mention - teleporting from pad, alb mile gate etc? Are you deliberately trying to throw people off the scent?

If you have played Gorre for any amount of time then you know it's nothing like that, so why use it I fail to understand why you even mentioned it?

old.Whoodoo said:
And I dont like you looking down your nose thinking your sh*t doesnt stink either, but I dont say it out loud. oops, i just did.

I think I am entitled to look down my nose now, I didn't have to resort to vulgarities to counter your arguments.

old.Whoodoo said:
Wibble wiblle babble /level 30 wibble "make artifacts easier", babble FPS" wible God mode babble wibble /impulse 101 hen /noclip and wondering round at warp 9 on speederbikes?.

????
There you go again - likening it to FPS shooter leet boys - just after I explained it was great for casual players.

Let me make myself clearer - I actually enjoyed making a rejuv cleric and healing / rezzing random people I wasn't even grouped with and not making any RPs at all (except the ones from rezzing!)

So please stop trying to make out this is a leet hardcore gamer's request - because it's not!

Vaar

Fledgling Freddie
Oboy said:
The game play on Gorre wont be anything like the normal servers when NF goes live and for those enjoying camping: Go play CS or camp a PK in BG :twak:

You are rigth about real servers will be different. If thats your point OK. If your point is that KEEPING Gorre online will make it a perma FotM-server...

Yes... And problem with keeping it this way is??? It would be valuable for trying other classes perspective safe from harm in PvE, You can duel you BB, try other classes, RvR would be chaos and mindless runs. If you find it bad... Log your main server... NP. So there will be very few Thanes and Necros, and lots of sorcs and archers... Again so what? Mindless fun man, with the valid excuse of beeing a place to try out abillities/RA's/other classes and realms.

The only REAL argument I can see against keeping Gorre is that it MAY take GoA resources from "real" server maintanence. If we are talking 0.3% it is acceptable, if it would be in the 5% range it is too much.

Bottomline. IF Goa can maintain Gorre as a open testserver with minumum effort... PLZ do.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Lendan said:
In any case I am sure there are many "Bored of PVE" people like myself that are facing the choice of:

1. Grit their teeth and level some new 50s
2. Get a buffbot account to help levelling up
3. Leave the game and go find something else

I find none of the above particularly appealing, and I haven't had as much fun on a normal server in the past 6 months as I have had in one week on Gorre.
To add to what you say here, firstly everyone will eventually get bored with DAoC, like any game. We could then get onto the BB arguement, but I will leave that to others.

Leave the game, well yes, it seems to me you are looking for something dedicated to player vs player, hence the CS comments. There are more PVP orientated games out there than there are true MMORPGs, knowing the difference is one thing to keep in mind.

Yes Gorre offers a new level of entertainment, but anything new will, the RvR system as we know it has been completely revamped, nothing the other side of Svasud Faste is the same, so NF has given the game a new lease of life. Perhaps in 6 months this point should be raised, but for now, let it at least go live before asking for a major hack into the game as we know it.

Yes I do support COOP btw, I think that like NF would bring a lot more entertainment to the game, but unlike Camlann, it would not be populated by the "l33ts" of the game, but by people who enjoy a new challenge and to maintain the balance of the game.

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Vaar said:
Yes... And problem with keeping it this way is??? It would be valuable for trying other classes perspective safe from harm in PvE, You can duel you BB, try other classes, RvR would be chaos and mindless runs. If you find it bad... Log your main server... NP. So there will be very few Thanes and Necros, and lots of sorcs and archers... Again so what? Mindless fun man, with the valid excuse of beeing a place to try out abillities/RA's/other classes and realms.

:clap: :clap:
At last someone who talks sense.

He hit the nail on the head though:

It's fun.

It is a game after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom