FAO GM's Regarding Gorre

Bahumat

FH is my second home
From my understanding the classic servers are going ahead, many people like me have started to think up groups they can run on this server.
When people discuss groups it always works on paper but not always out in the frontiers.

I have read tons of posts where people from America use the test server Pendragon for any reasons they may want to mess about with their character, hell some people even use the server to duel they uber mains!

I really enjoyed being able to make /50 rr6 characters on Gorre when the tests on NF were being carried out, there were things i could try out and see how they suited me. I will list the reason's i think Gorre should be always up.

1) Classic server is getting closer, we have all made groups like i mentioned above, but this will give us all opportunities to test these groups. Some people may be going to a realm they have never played before.

2) Specs - A cookie cutter spec is not always the one for you, to respec your character does not come cheap and killing dragons is not a 1 man task. With Gorre you can simply /delete the character and re-create when you use your free respec.

3) Tests - some people have done tests in regards to specs, wyrd is one of the more famous for his work but it would be nice if we could recreate our characters and check what a slight change in spec will offer us, the same with a switch in RA's.

4) Duel's - I understand you can do a command like /charactercopy pendragon and get your character transported, if this feature is available you can duel other people who claim to be that much better than you.

This also opens doors for opportunity, in France you had a event where the gm's were dragons or something, this server means everyone can participate in the weird and wonderful events you have to offer.

There are more reasons to what im asking but i think i have shown a few reasons why this would be a good idea.

Can Gorre be brought back online, if so...will it?

Im not the only one who would like a test server so please if you agree with me give your input.

I would appreciate the input of any GM's on this, i dont know what can/cant be done but if America has these...why not us?

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
No chance.

GOA will not provide an environment where you can click-together a level 50 character with gear.. for the simple reason that it would ultimately kill the game.

This has been asked before and the answer was no then, so I wouldn't expect it to change.

Everz

FH is my second home
During NF testing there was /lvl 40 on pendragon...and if i remember correctly they start at rr2

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Nf testing here was nice on gorre

free L50, free toa sc via rog chets, free rr6.

Was awesome and amazing fun.

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
No chance.

GOA will not provide an environment where you can click-together a level 50 character with gear.. for the simple reason that it would ultimately kill the game.

This has been asked before and the answer was no then, so I wouldn't expect it to change.

am.....wtf are you on about??

he didnt mean it would be an active server, but a test server. you use /charcopy to get your character there and then you can start to test specc and different things on test dummyes or something ( i think its like that, couse i have read a few test that ppl have done and allways say something about a test dummy they used to test on).

i have respecced my ranger a few times now and still, its not the specc i really want. if i could go there and test i bit i could do whit one respecc only.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
Naffets said:

agreed

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Naffets said:

Daoc going Counter-Strike.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
The whole point of the game is learning from your mistakes, finding out the "best" specs, setups, templates etc. If you could insta chars just like that, it would be incredibly dull and simple and I would vote strongly against the idea.

Internal servers do in fact eliminate a LOT of bugs from patch releases, believe it or not. Some of them you simply can't catch/predict when they go on live servers, but only a small proportion slip through the net.

The amount of spam I personally create for the GMs with questions about stuff on test servers is enough to keep them busy. Multiply that by 2000 or so, and they need more staff.

Then again, I'm probably biased; being E&E and having access to the internals and infinte /level 50's!!!11111 etc.

Ocalinn

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
The whole point of the game is learning from your mistakes, finding out the "best" specs, setups, templates etc. If you could insta chars just like that, it would be incredibly dull and simple and I would vote strongly against the idea.

Internal servers do in fact eliminate a LOT of bugs from patch releases, believe it or not. Some of them you simply can't catch/predict when they go on live servers, but only a small proportion slip through the net.

The amount of spam I personally create for the GMs with questions about stuff on test servers is enough to keep them busy. Multiply that by 2000 or so, and they need more staff.

Then again, I'm probably biased; being E&E and having access to the internals and infinte /level 50's!!!11111 etc.

and if they need more staff we need to pay more for the servers etc

Bahumat

FH is my second home
when gorre was out you could /50 +rr6 as they wanted ppl to rvr.

with this server ppl can use it to test, no one will play a test server as their main server lol.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
when gorre was out you could /50 +rr6 as they wanted ppl to rvr.

with this server ppl can use it to test, no one will play a test server as their main server lol.

You're missing the point

Septina

Part of the furniture
During the testings of NF Gorre was up with /level 50, insta rr6 and free rogs with toa stats etc.
Did this 'wreck the game' in any way? No!
Did they keep the server up after NF was released? No!

Setting up the classic database on the server alllowing people to test setups and the likes is a good idea in my opinion.

polza

Loyal Freddie
Kaun_IA said:
am.....wtf are you on about??

he didnt mean it would be an active server, but a test server. you use /charcopy to get your character there and then you can start to test specc and different things on test dummyes or something ( i think its like that, couse i have read a few test that ppl have done and allways say something about a test dummy they used to test on).

i have respecced my ranger a few times now and still, its not the specc i really want. if i could go there and test i bit i could do whit one respecc only.

erm wat stops every1 rollin char there and rvrin there instead of excal or pry which surely with free lvl50, gear, and rr's peps will? if the server is perma up

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
Naffets said:

those two weeks were fantastic fun, but, all other servers were dead and it was impossible to get onto gorre .. :p

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Elitestoner said:
those two weeks were fantastic fun, but, all other servers were dead and it was impossible to get onto gorre .. :p

Aye it was difficult, i remember trying for 40 mins to get a char and a bot logged in :D

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH
he actually means to test the grp setups before classic hits:S!
not keep it up for evryone

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
polza said:
erm wat stops every1 rollin char there and rvrin there instead of excal or pry which surely with free lvl50, gear, and rr's peps will? if the server is perma up

Well, wouldent' be hard to wipe the database every now and then for when a new patch needed testing etc. Gorre would basically be Pendragon, European players would get their feedback sent back to Mythic if possible as well.

Tilda

its not going to happen guys as I see it.
Gorre is up almost all the time, but as an internal/E&E server so that we can test new patches.
It would slow the patching process considerably if there was no test server and, you'd get to enjoy all sorts of bugs that fuck up your charachters permanantly, on the live servers!! Which i'm sure you'd all love.

Really, as eggy said, theres no challenge in a game if you can play around on a test server to make the perfect charachter first time. If you want to play around do it on your home server. If everybody could try test server first, we wouldnt get charachters with 28 slash or 5 chants etc.
A whole section of the game is about finding out what works and what dosnt.

Everz

FH is my second home
Yes yet some arent made of money, joy of playing when a constant classic was if you wanted to test a spec before you shelled out your cash you could, was nice to see if it is was worth it.

rynnor

Rockhound
Tilda said:
you'd get to enjoy all sorts of bugs that fuck up your charachters permanantly, on the live servers!! Which i'm sure you'd all love.

Have you heard of Prydwen???

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
tbh the test servers arnt that fun ok its nice to make a rr12 ml10 valkyrie fully equipped with toa artis all level 10. But realistically you look at the charater and have absolutly no desire to play them all the fun is taken out of the game when you basically insta create your character.

trust me creating a top of the range character in say 30 minutes is boring its like wow look at me o well /delete.

Test servers work alright in america because the patches go live very shortly after they go on pendragon. here its a bit different because for each language they have to test to ensure translation is correct for the game and the server + that the translations in them selves dont horibly break the game. Coud you deal with playing on gorre one night then the next it was in a different langauge and half your macros and keys didnt work ?

Nausilus^^

Can't get enough of FH
Multiple characters I created and kitted out with artifacts and sc'ed armor through "work" and a long time of playing can hardly keep my interest in the game any longer - with a server with insta lvl 50, rrhigh and whatever gear would be available, I would probably try out a few of the toons I've had an interest in trying out, but I would never feel the urge to play it as a main server tbh.. What's the pleasure of playing a character where the first 60-70% of the process was clicks and choices?

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Dallas said:
agramon on gorre, with classic, insta 50, yes plz

Just go and play a freeshard.

PS: Playing freeshards is technically illegal, therefore I do not endorse it :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
its not like i wanna play the server all the time.

How about this,

The Gorre server is brought up for lets say 1 month after Classic is released (hence your (gm's/devs) not testing things as much).

We can see what we like then go ahead and make it on classic.

I realise what you said Tilda
Tilda said:
Really, as eggy said, theres no challenge in a game if you can play around on a test server to make the perfect charachter first time.
but i had to buy 2 single respecs at 4plat each! to change my spec.

A few months later i wanted to change and i was part of a dragon raid...however not everyone is in a good efficient guild so they cant just farm some respec stones etc.

IF it cannot be done permanently, can it be done for 1-2 months AFTER classic is released...that way we can make groups/characters we are thinking of playing and see if we like them.....on classic you have to start from lvl1 iirc.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Gorre is for testing of patches, translations and bugs for the upcoming patch, without which GOA need to impliment another test server they can test on, therefore more money needed.

Secondly, the DB on Gorre is changed weekly to support testing of various things from bugs to quests where special things like a freeze on levels is required, or a complete whipe of the DB, imagine the QQ when their /level 50 ML10 RR6 is deleted and they have to start again, and yes it did happen after Gorre was shut, the amount of whines was impossible.

Then the testing of special euro only features, again, the server has to be closed and the DB purged.

Then theres mutli language support, dont een go there, as it is we have Camlann and the new server in chavspeak, imagine the higher populations of the frog n gerry servers not to mention the spans n hi-ties crying like you lot when they dont get a server to play on in their native tongue. Its rather selfish and l33tist to think "givf gorre n more brit sp34k serva gov!".

As for testing your specs, LOL!! Thats what respecs are for, go earn some! Theres a million forums out there discussing specs for every class, race and colour in this game, and a few hundred players around you who can advise you on whats what, if you dont know how to play your toon by now you must be doing something severely wrong.

And before you jump on the "you E&E get all the toys boohoo" band wagon, fyi Gorre is mostly tested not in English, so translations are done more speedily I guess, so we dont get to play on there much ourselves, and normally its only open for testing as and when needed, normally 3-4 weeks before a patch.

Pendragon is designed to help with the development of the game itself, live stress testing if you like, but if you read VN, its up and down like a yoyo, and very unstable. They dont have to test aspects like the GOA events, and especially translations, so they have luxuries GOA cant afford.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
eggy said:

PS: Playing freeshards is technically illegal, therefore I do not endorse it :)

if you read the Server EMu board u will find that its not.. and that mythic will never take action and there are Scaned letters etc on there where ppl have written in and asked mythic

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
old.Whoodoo said:
Pendragon is designed to help with the development of the game itself, live stress testing if you like, but if you read VN, its up and down like a yoyo, and very unstable. They dont have to test aspects like the GOA events, and especially translations, so they have luxuries GOA cant afford.

Unless you have logged on Pendragon you have no idea how helpfull it is for a player to test various things regarding his/her toon and game mechanics. This is what people have been calling out for, not a server to play on a regular basis, but one where they can /charcopy and test a different spec as well as see how/if some things work out.

Jerjerod

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:

Its not the same, you cant use a freeshard for testing becuse they arnt acctualy based on mythics code, they have a load of quirks and oditys of there own but not the same ones you get in normal DAOC (eg. Wyrd specs dont work, no one realy knows how acu effects spell damage so every server has different spell damage). Also allot of abilitys usualy arnt even set up, i dont know of a server with MLs (then i havent played for a while.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom