Help FAO: Any computer programmers

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Ive recently started a small course in C++ computer programming, and it's going fine. But trying to do some of it at home to get used to and the programs I'm using aren't working as intended.

The free programs recomended were CodeBlocks and Dev-C++ I had a "C++ for dummies" book which came with a CodeBlocks CD, so I used that first then Dev-C++.

My problem is when I have followed all the instructions to the word, literally copied the code from whichever book just to display my name; but neither program will compile it. The words "
"sayhello - Debug" uses an invalid compiler. Skipping..."
are at the bottom even though everything is set to default.

I had a relative try and install it on her pc and try it out since she used to do some kind of coding, but she couldnt get the thing to work either :( The book even has pictures to show each step and I can see its all exactly the same but it won't do anything.

I can't ask the tutor since its a weekend course so thought I'd try my luck here anyway, since I've seen some other threads and Java etc.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I haven't used CodeBlocks for probably five years or more, so I could be wrong but if memory serves, doesn't it require you to specify an external compiler somewhere in the settings?

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
yeah well this is the problem the course teacher uses Borland C++ turbo which is like 10 years old or something, and you can't buy it or download it since its not really in existence anymore lol.

anyway when you make a new Project or whatever in codeblocks you can choose which compiler you use either a default one or visual basic etc. I don't mind buying a program as long as i know it will work.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I think these guys took over the Borland compiler if I remember correctly. I haven't used it in a long time though, but apparently the version here works in windows 7/Vista.

Turbo C++ Community

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I'd recommend Visual Studio 2010 if you're allowed to use any program to create your apps. I know it's microsoft but really it is an excellent compiler and it's free (the express version anyway).

I could be wrong but when I first started I had issues with compiling until I installed the .NET framework as well... this may not be the issue but worth a mention just in case.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Features - indicates that several compilers are supported, however I would guess none are supplied, you have to go get one yourself.

Bloodshed Software - Dev-C++ - appears to come with GCC, and should 'just work' with a simple hello world program, I vaguely remember using it myself a few years ago..

If you are looking to program on and for the Windows platform (in any form) then Visual Studio is definitely the way to go as kirennia suggested. Otherwise you may actually find things easier on the command line using Cygwin or Msys.. You'll certainly understand everything that's going on :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
If you are looking to program on and for the Windows platform (in any form) then Visual Studio is definitely the way to go

Oops, completely forgot to say this, heh. Yes, Windows only really for Visual Studios...and Xbox I guess :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom