Fantasy books!

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
Tijl said:
Terry Pratchett's discworld series (over 20 books) are fun to read. The first 10 anyway, haven't got any further so far. Nice read inbetween, no need to read in order as the stories are separate (except for 1 and 2).

You kinda do need to read most of them in order, as he has about 3 or 4 different series running on his world, the plots won't make sense within each series.

oh, and how can you have only read the first 10??? go out and get the rest!

NOW!

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Terry Brooks' Shannara series is also pretty good, although the first three books are the best imho.

As has been said, Raymond E Feist, his Magician Trilogy, the Empire trilogy set on Kelewan (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire, they're a bit different, very similar to Japanese family/tribal history) or the later four part Serpentwar Series.

The original DragonLance Cronicles (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are pretty spectacular too, although the series setting has since been milked to death over the years.

Robin Hobb's Assassin Trilogy is awesome, one of the best set of books I've ever read. The rest of the series is also class, the Fools Trilogy and the Ships series.

Re Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, I loved the first three books, then I got book four and realised I was reading the same thing, over and over again, the plot just didn't advance any further. Read book five and decided he was one clever bloke at milking his readers with a plot that wasn't moving anywhere so I stopped.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Rulke said:
Hmms, perhaps terry goodkind's sword of truth series? Main character "levels up" a lot in that, and dragons.
Magician - feist? Stableboy becomes uber-wizard-of-teh-pwn (like rerolling your skald to a warlock)
Michael moorcock's elric books. One of the best characters in fantasy, ever (imo) + dragons
Harry potter!!!

What about some historical stuff? Conn Iggulden's emperor books give an entertaining tale of caesers rise. No dragons though

Prolly not a good idea to read song of ice and fire either, as most of the main characters die. It is however incredibly epic, with real depth and writing that grabs you by the nads and drags you through all 800 pages in a flash. and baby dragons!

I know you don't like sci-fi, but maybe try Dune. Sandworms are like dragons, right?
The first books mentioned there seems interesting, so gonna buy them !;-)
And my Skald is overpowered aswell, fyi! :( *hurt*

I don't dislike sci-fi, I actually enjoy the Star Wars movies, and the KOTOR games. But, I feel there is a missing link, and when it come to books, I feel more comfortable reading epic fantasy stories, rather then sci-fi, dunne why! Maybe I'm just wierd:p

Oh, I have played the Dune games! :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Dark Materials Trilogy aka Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass.
Best trilogy/book i've ever had the pleasure of reading. Phillip Pullman wrote a masterpiece imo!

Also about to start reading,
The Magicians Guild, The Novice, The High Lord (trilogy by Trudi Canavan)

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
Rulke said:
Hmms, perhaps terry goodkind's sword of truth series? Main character "levels up" a lot in that, and dragons.
Magician - feist? Stableboy becomes uber-wizard-of-teh-pwn (like rerolling your skald to a warlock)
Michael moorcock's elric books. One of the best characters in fantasy, ever (imo) + dragons
Harry potter!!!

What about some historical stuff? Conn Iggulden's emperor books give an entertaining tale of caesers rise. No dragons though

Prolly not a good idea to read song of ice and fire either, as most of the main characters die. It is however incredibly epic, with real depth and writing that grabs you by the nads and drags you through all 800 pages in a flash. and baby dragons!

I know you don't like sci-fi, but maybe try Dune. Sandworms are like dragons, right?

Do i detect a dragon fetisch? :D Goodkind didnt have that much to do with dragons post book 2 IIRC :D

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
DaveyJones said:
Anyone read Robin Hobb's new The Soldier Son Trilogy?
Aye read book one and two. I thought it was nice read. She has nice twists to her storyline, if you have read all the other series you might be able to guess them... BUT it's still as George R R Martin wrote "a diamand in a sea of zircons" when describing Hobbs books.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
WiiWii said:
Do i detect a dragon fetisch? :D Goodkind didnt have that much to do with dragons post book 2 IIRC :D
Chosen said he liked dragons!

For robin hobb read the assassions trilogy, skip the liveship ones and then read the last fool's series.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
I get the same feeling with the Feist books that I do with the Eddings books.. Its too "happy".. Sure, reading the two books of Polgara was quite amazing, but it's really too "happy" for me :)

I actually dont know the name of the Robin Hobb book Im currently reading in English, but im swedish its called "Den Gyllene Mannen", "The Golden Man" in english afaik.. But its good. Im thinking about reading the Song of Ice and Fire next.

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
Zenith said:
I get the same feeling with the Feist books that I do with the Eddings books.. Its too "happy".. Sure, reading the two books of Polgara was quite amazing, but it's really too "happy" for me :)

I actually dont know the name of the Robin Hobb book Im currently reading in English, but im swedish its called "Den Gyllene Mannen", "The Golden Man" in english afaik.. But its good. Im thinking about reading the Song of Ice and Fire next.

It's the "Tawny man" trilogi :) And do read song of ice and fire. It won't be to happy for you atleast :D

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
:( :( :( Rest in peace David, you are sorely missed.

His wife is finishing the last book from the drafts he had hanging around :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom