Help "fake" OS after reinstall...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
so i had a ton of BSOD's on pc startup this morning, not even safemode worked. reinstalled, worked fine up until the first reboot when i got a list of 2 OS to chose from, thought WTF?!

selected Windows <standard> just to see what was going on, PC said startup failed because files missing.... ARGH!!!

rebooted and selected the "proper" os in the list (Windows XP professional)

working fine, but how the hell can i get rid of that fake OS without having to reinstall again?

or atleast make it the default on the list so i dont have to sit at the comp while it starting up with 2 keyboards (my main one aint working in DOS, its a g15) waiting for that fucking list to show up.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Show all files and folder and protected operating system files.

Edit boot.ini in ya root useing notepad.

Show all files and folder from control panel, folder options.

Boot.ini is fairly straight forward. Remove the line you don't require.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Break it down abit,

Boot Loader section is default boot and boot menu time.
Here default boot is disc 1(hardware starts at 0) Partition 1(software starts at 1) and its called Windows

Operating system section is what OS's are installed.

Edit out the line you don't want and set the defaults to the 1 you want.

Can break it down all the way if required. But a bit of googling can tell ya what rest means.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
or.

coz its easier.

Click start, right click my computer and select properties.

On new window go to advanced and click the settings button for start up and recovery.

Change ya default there and reduce the time for menu.
Can also edit from here but might have to change file atrib and uncheck read only. (can't remember)

Sry most complicated way first :p

boot.ini 101

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
or.

coz its easier.

Click start, right click my computer and select properties.

On new window go to advanced and click the settings button for start up and recovery.

Change ya default there and reduce the time for menu.
Can also edit from here but might have to change file atrib and uncheck read only. (can't remember)

Sry most complicated way first :p

boot.ini 101

did all that but theres only 1 OS in the drop down list... :/

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
uum, i dont have one..... lol

searching for it didnt show it tho. and yes i have show hidden files enabled.

/edit: oh wait i found it. had to show OS related files to.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS /usepmtimer
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

Bob007

Prince Among Men
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS /usepmtimer
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer

From that you have 1 OS installed on disc 1 partition 1, /usepmtimer switch on bootloader shouldn't be there. Its not a problem mind, it'll just be ignored. But ya boot menu isn't coming from ya standard loader.

Next surgestions would be to replace some boot files below and fix master boot record.

Isn't that hard to do now. Boot off ya windows CD and when prompted press R to repair and then C to use recovery console. When it starts up, log in to the windows installation with Admin Pa$$w0rd and do the following.

First type map and note the drive letter for CD.

Next some copy commands.

copy drive:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy drive:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

drive = CD rom letter from Map

Press Yes when prompted to overwrite.

And then the final 1.

fixmbr

After that, update post.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you have XP you can click start and run then type msconfig. In the boot.ini section you can click Check All Boot Paths it does the same job as fix mbr i believe.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
ok i did all that but somehow managed to screw up so nothing worked...

so i ended up doing a reinstall (with a slow formatt) and now atleast that problem is solved.

but now i have another one >.<

my PC "soft locks" when i try to start up WoW. meaning everything but my mouse become unresponsive, ctrl alt delete isnt working either.

i doubleklick on WoW.exe and the comp freezes. it isnt even making it to the login screen so it cant be because of the client (was like that before i reinstalled my OS again, didnt mention in then because i figured it was because of my OS.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'm afraid that's a very common issue with WoW, you might have more specific luck in the WoW forums with that one, or a search around on Google, being a software problem rather than your computer/hardware being dicey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom