F1 back on the Beeb!

Kryten

Old Cow.
Probably not worth me reporting this, I'm sure most of you F1 fans already know and the rest probably don't care about F1. I'm a huge fan though :D

Crux is, BBC is back with F1 as from 2009. ITV are turning it away, very strangely when F1 has it's highest figures for years, much of which due to Lewis Hamilton. But I think there's more to it than that. Ecclestones words have been very vague, and I don't think either party is happy with the other. The BBC apparently have some new ideas and old values. Also witterings and rumours about a possible return for the legend himself, Murray Walker!

Now, this is no bad thing by any means. The advert breaks have been getting fucking comical, especially when ITV manage to magic them away for the football - and now OfCom have said ITV and other terrestrial channels are allowed to do US style advertising, 2 adverts per half hour show and 2 per hour for a film. So, even more reason to be happy.

Here's hoping for BBC, The Chain and Murray Walker.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Definately The Chain, I doubt they'd get Murray but it would be cool :)

Not happy that OfCom have said UK telly can have US advertising. I hardly watch any telly nowadays because of it and that'll pretty much kill TV off for me. Yay for downloads...

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Aye, cos ITV has such high quality programming that they can afford to chuck on more interruptions and shit adverts*.In fact, I actually feel pretty pissed off that they managed to get Dexter - such a high quality show should not be on such an utterly shit network. Feels like it taints the awesomeness of the Dex in some way :\

*Possibly sarcasm.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Woot no ads.

Agree w/ nath, dexter on channel 4 would have been great.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Also witterings and rumours about a possible return for the legend himself, Murray Walker!

Oh jesus christ no!

Along with John Motson he must be the worst commentator there has ever been, infact Murray Walker stopped me watching F1 in the end, he was simply unbearable.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Online petitions are complete bollocks, so:

Hire Ben Edwards for BBC F1 commentary. Petition

If ever one was worthwhile thats it :D

Murray Walker!
Hes 85 ffs, dont expect to see much of him. That said hes still been floating around at some races in the last few years, doing odds & ends for the Australian broadcaster among others. Having him join in the commentary for the British GP say would be fun :)

As long as the cock isnt part of the BBCs coverage Ill be happy whatever they do.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Online petitions are complete bollocks, so:

Hire Ben Edwards for BBC F1 commentary. Petition

If ever one was worthwhile thats it :D

Hes 85 ffs, dont expect to see much of him. That said hes still been floating around at some races in the last few years, doing odds & ends for the Australian broadcaster among others. Having him join in the commentary for the British GP say would be fun :)

As long as the cock isnt part of the BBCs coverage Ill be happy whatever they do.

I'm no.24 to sign that petition.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oh jesus christ no!

Along with John Motson he must be the worst commentator there has ever been, infact Murray Walker stopped me watching F1 in the end, he was simply unbearable.
TREASON! SACRILEGE!

(Murray Walker I'm talking about, John Motson I find incredibly annoying too).

Trem

But....but...but Walker is completely fucking senile, god knows what his brain is like now it was bad enough a few years ago.

Hes a massive mental grandad*

*I hold the television rights to that title if it ever gets made into a sitcom.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
firstly, i could give a shit about F1 :D

however ! yay for things being on TV, not sky, or cable, or blah blah blah

wtb: decent tv stuff for license payment, more real stuff, less shite :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
But....but...but Walker is completely fucking senile, god knows what his brain is like now it was bad enough a few years ago.

That's irrelevant. His "GOOOOO GOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is unsurpassed by any commentator. End of :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
I love (in a manly, respective way) Walker for all that he is and has done for commentary. His outright favouritism for our own drivers is something I miss , these days people are too busy faffing around trying to be unbiased in case someone gets upset.

He's getting on, I don't personally think he'll do it much or at all - possibly the odd one off. He made cockups, that was much of his charm, but he just seems to have the "proper" voice for it.

Stereotypically, a perfect F1 race has an englishman and german scrapping it out, The Chain belting out in the background and Murray Walker pointing out that one car is unique, with the exception of the identical one behind it.

And NO FUCKING ADVERTS.

:D

:england:
:clap:

Trem

That's irrelevant. His "GOOOOO GOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" is unsurpassed by any commentator. End of :)

Hes talking about his bladder/marbles when he says that :eek:

Kryten

Old Cow.
Murray lost his marbles years ago and most of us still love him for it ;)

As for his bladder - well, I've got bagsies on his colostomy bag - should get a bit on Ebay!

Trem

But we don't have a choice about the license fee for the BBC so why do we have to listen to crazy old men like Walker and Motson who are getting paid shedloads to talk absolute bollocks? Why don't we get a choice about who we have to listen to?

Anyways he should be retired so he can put his feet up and warm his legs with his piss.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Why don't we get a choice about who we have to listen to?

Well, as its the BBC, you probably would get the choice. I'm guessing part of the reason the beeb got the gig (apart from the shitloads of cash they paid) will be all the interactive, multimedia stuff they'll add. So I'm sure the GP with added Murrayness could be there for those of us who love him even if he is ga-ga, ("press the Red Button for GO, GO, GOOOOOO!") whilst Tremmish types with no sense of the ridiculous could have Maurice Hamilton.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Something odd is going on with ITV. This is the second sport they've lost in the last few weeks, BSB was the other.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Well BSB isnt in the same league as F1 in terms of viewer numbers (or the price they are paying for the rights) but yeah I guess its almost related.

They are expanding their BTCC coverage, and adding live GP2 coverage this year, so its not part of an overall 'we hate motorsport' campaign or whatever.

Yesterdays news on the Champions League rights shows theyll be cutting back there, Sky will take everything except 1 game per week with the winner of that not yet announced. Please BBC (or anyone else for that matter, but I doubt anyone else will pay the £££s) win those rights too and thatll be the end of having to watch anything on that pathetic excuse for a TV channel.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Why don't we get a choice about who we have to listen to?

You want to put such decisions in the hands of the general public?

Have you met the general public?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But we don't have a choice about the license fee for the BBC so why do we have to listen to crazy old men like Walker and Motson who are getting paid shedloads to talk absolute bollocks? Why don't we get a choice about who we have to listen to?

Turn the sound off and whack the 5-Live commentary on. I often do it when the footie is on.

As for Murray, I almost worship the ground he walks on because I find his enthusiasm infectious.

Oh, and I like Motty too - even tho he's a bit shit. :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
I think the outright enthusiasm just about encapsulates everything Murray is. He's a bigger fan than any of us can claim to be and that alone makes him more than qualified enough to do the job he's done for so long.
He's only human, and getting on a bit but that's just how most of us love him :D

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'll be happy if they've got rid of James Allen because I find him too much like Murry Walker but with no real excuse of age.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Hurrah, no adverts and yes let's hope they bring back The Chain. As long as they don't lose Martin's grid walk. He must be one of the few sports commentators who can cut it with every strata of society, even having dinner with the king of Spain the night before a GP. He's about the only one all the drivers will talk to, apart from maybe that stuffed shirt Hamilton. Sorry guys, am I the only person who was rooting for Massa on Sunday?

Just in case you were wondering, give me Moto GP over F1 any time.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just in case you were wondering, give me Moto GP over F1 any time.

Biker chick? Ooooooo :p

I can't wait for the shift back to the beeb - brilliant news, and I agree on Brundle, the grid walks are legendary, especially when he runs into Bernie :)

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Sorry guys, am I the only person who was rooting for Massa on Sunday?

Have been rooting for Massa since the beginning of the season and although I do want him to win, I wouldn't mind if ANYonelse did other then hamilton. Sorry but I don't think I've seen a more idiotic kid in formula one in years. Reading his statements talking about the incident with him gaining an advantage over Raikonnen was enough. I've been racing since I was a kid and know all of the rules, that's why I probably know more then people here about it and I'm the best driver out there etc etc... sorry but... twat...

Don't want to get pulled into this argument again though so will stop now; altogether good choices from the BBC of who to keep and who to get rid of from ITV so I'm chuffed :D I do wonder what happened to the Richard Hammond rumours :)

sayward

Resident Freddy
:iagree:Couldn't have put it better myself. Thought it was just me.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Definitely a Hamilton fan, and really, really don't like the Red Team.
Notice how Ferrari, after their (and their driver's) fuckups this weekend have suddenly thrown their toys out the pram, condemning Singapore as a farce that should never have happened?
Luca de-noonecaresabouhislastnameenzo should really grow up. It's not that I hate Massa or Raikkonen - the former is a bit of a tit and really hasn't got a great deal of talent despite being tutored by one of the sports greats and the latter unfortunately appears to have lost his enthusiasm for the sport - it's that Ferrari on a whole really are going as far as possible to prove they are complete children. It's a far cry from the team that come from so little when Schumacher joined in 1996 with the expertise of Brawn and Todt dragging it up from the heels. I'd accuse them of cheating, but there's little point. It might as well be the FIA-Ferrari show/single Ferrari powered race because it's deemed too important by the FIA.

Whatever anyone thinks of Hamilton, the sport needs far more drivers like him. People with balls, people that do make mistakes, people that do learn and people that can overtake - if you want to watch robots drive, get a Scalextric set. We need people with passion for racing. Raikkonen, despite driving for "The Children in Red" remains one of my favoured drivers and it's a shame to see him lose the will. Need more teams up there with the front two, challenging for the championship.

Anyway, enough of my opinions. Roll on 2009, I was shouting at the screen with the adverts this sunday :(
Did wonder myself about the Hammond thing, but I'm fairly happy with the new lineup, as long as Allen is gone I think we're all fairly good with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom