F-Secure security/AV packages

Kryten

Old Cow.
I would normally only recommend software, but I feel so strongly about F-Secure, I should post this simple warning.

Do NOT ever feel tempted to install it, download it or use it. Ever.

It is the single worst package I've ever seen in the public domain and some people out there actually pay for it. It's even worse than Norton Internet Security and their other products.

It has rended a dual Xeon 3.2 system with 8gb of ram virtually useless for it's intended task due to the amount of cack it installs and runs in the background. Same applies on a Pentium D dual core system and all the other P4 boxes.

Was forced upon us at work from our head IT folks - who clearly have less of a clue than most of the kids at our local junior school; most likely as the corporate license was cheaper than the rest.

So, simple warning; avoid it.

Starman

Part of the furniture
Personally I use F-Secure 2006 that was given away by Barclay's few years ago and never had any issues :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Can't vouch for that, we're using the most up to date all singing all dancing all killing-your-system version.
On top of which, by default it calls Firefox, mIRC and Putty "Riskware".

Nasty. Won't be using any of those then....

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I'd never ever ever use an F-S product of my own free will, and that is based purely on the fact that workies uses them on some of our servers by command of the highs.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Don't work for the same company do we Teedles? :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

We use Trend Micro at our company (originally a Taiwanese brand) and it's not too bad. The memory usage isn't excessive, the background scan works quietly, but like all AV packages it begins to grind your system to a halt when you run a full scan. I haven't tried Symantec, OneCare, AVG etc. in a while, though, so I don't know how far the competition has progressed.

I still believe if you know what you're doing, and you don't go browsing dodgy websites or recklessly opening attachments, then you don't particularly need anti-virus installed. That said, for average homes and offices, this isn't practical.

Kind regards

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Don't work for the same company do we Teedles? :)

in the end, they're all mostly the same in our field mate. same sh|t, different name, so my mates who've been about the block tell me :)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Can't vouch for that, we're using the most up to date all singing all dancing all killing-your-system version.
On top of which, by default it calls Firefox, mIRC and Putty "Riskware".

Nasty. Won't be using any of those then....

F-Secure Client Security 7.10 ?
(I hope you didn't upgrade the client from 7.01 to 7.10, theres a known bug which makes the upgrade not work right and decides to hog 99% CPU)

Its a pure resource hog, I only have FSAV 7.10 with E-mail and Web scanning active on my workstation here... here's a lovely embedded image of my task manager (with username omitted of course!)
fsav.gif

why the fuck is FSSM32.exe deciding to eat 114mb of my precious memory? :eek6:

It classes VNCViewer as riskware as well, never had it report Firefox tho (as proven)

The only reason we seem to have it here is lazyness, they won't go shopping for better versions and the guy who administers it stated to me "I wouldn't be surprised if we have viruses somewhere on our network" :eek6:

FSAV is like windows, it likes to just eat memory if its available! this rig has only 1gb of ram, but the other workstations are running 1.5gb and they are just as crippled for general work.

(I hope that image works, had to switch on enforced hotlinking on my site to piss off some foreign bastards who decided to hot-link images on my site)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ill have a look when I get to work.
I'm likely to actually lead a bit of a mutiny on the local MD's say so - i.e. advising the technical managers that we will in fact stop using our computers and revert to pen and paper until they do something useful about it.

The fact I walked in on the technical manager going through printouts from Wikipedia and other How To for Dummies webpages learning to set up the domain system just says it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom