Exercise

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Probably not the best place in the world to ask but as I am joining the royal air force next month and my stamina isn't as good as it could be I was wondering if any of you lot could unlock the secrets of running long distances without stopping and feeling like you're lungs have been stolen.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
00dave said:
Probably not the best place in the world to ask but as I am joining the royal air force next month and my stamina isn't as good as it could be I was wondering if any of you lot could unlock the secrets of running long distances without stopping and feeling like you're lungs have been stolen.

Do it alot.

Simple really :p

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
run more often, play some sports e.g. football, and bugger off down the gym to work out on the machine, e.g. bike, rowing, step and jogging.

You have to work for what you get, there's no magic secret :p

And yes, running long distances is a bitch :/

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Pfft, you obviously havent met my previous school's 4 mile cross country track. Could scare off the bloody SAS and they've done the fandance

00dave

Munkey said:
You have to work for what you get, there's no magic secret :p

Aware of that but I'm talking average speeds, breathing rythmns, timed distances, food intake that sort of stuff.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
00dave said:
Not really that could burn you out.

Eh? Right start with something not to taxing. A little jog for a few miles on flat freindly ground. It may seem like it's gonna make your heart burst so pace yourself.

Do this lots.

After a while it will get easier and easier, at which point you make it harder. Longer distance, rougher terrain, worse conditions. Try carrying something on your back at the same time.

But when you are doing this, be sensible about it. Don't over do it and make sure you drink and eat properly before hand during and after.

Anyway it's the airforce for gods sake. The hardest thing they will make you do is a week running up and down some stairs :p If CDR can manage it anyone can :)

Edit: Unless you are becoming a pilot, which you wouldn't know at this point.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
I started cross country running about three months before joining the army back in '96 to be a little more "prepared".

It didn't prepare me at all. The little march on the first weekend there, to get used to it (ha..) was 15 miles through the alps. Up and down and up and down. An 80 lbs. backpack strapped to everyones back, mind you.

But you are joining the airforce, not a mountain division.
Two sit-ups a night will be sufficient to prepare you for a pansy outfit like the airforce.

God, did I hate marching. :(

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
i thought your country's army all rode bicycles now sick :p

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I can run for miles without getting tired at all, but only because I've been running up and down hills after sheep my entire life. (Don't get any ideas.)

The only way is to start doing it. Alot.

Oh, and about breathing: I find when you start running, a rythm comes naturally. I'm guessing you should stick with that.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Munkey said:
i thought your country's army all rode bicycles now sick :p

Ban ffs!!1 :eek:

We had pack mules then... those were the days.
It was liek Dugneon Seige in camo pants!11

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
we can see you were in the army. thats for sure, sick :p

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Damn straight! Leave me alone! :(

No one wubs meh anymore... *cries*

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
00dave said:

From my time in the forces and from my training memories. here goes.

Dont worry about it they will teach you very very fast :)

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
Its just stamina gained from regular and repetitve excersise, when i started out at the gym i couldnt do fuck all, now i run 10km a night in no time at all, have to make sure you eat the right foods as well otherwise you'll make running twice as difficult.

00dave

L_Plates said:
From my time in the forces and from my training memories. here goes.

Dont worry about it they will teach you very very fast :)

I'm just worried about not being up to the same standards as the rest on my flight.
It's all because of the damn cold I had over christmas when I had to stop exercising and just couldn't shift it.

So what sort of hours a day am I looking at putting it?

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Cycling is extremely good for stamina, you can make it as hard, or as easy as you like. Without too much trouble.

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
00dave said:
I'm just worried about not being up to the same standards as the rest on my flight.
It's all because of the damn cold I had over christmas when I had to stop exercising and just couldn't shift it.

They will start you off on small runs like 3 miles or summit and radually work it up. You will be fine honestly. You will be surprised how fit you will be compared to some other ppl that turn up for the training :)

Good luck and enjoy it.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
00dave said:

You're flight?

So your joining next month and you are already in pilot training ?!

Unless you mean you have had the whole OASC and IOT bollocks.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
used to do a lot of running (unfortunately, the side effects have long since worn off)

Wot to do is find a "happy place" and not think about the running. If you can do that, youll be surprised how far you can go.

Did that on one run and ended half way to Musselburgh (from Edinburgh)

00dave

Deadmanwalking said:
You're flight?

So your joining next month and you are already in pilot training ?!

Unless you mean you have had the whole OASC and IOT bollocks.

No the 9 weeks basic training in the airforce is called a flight, I don't know why it just is. I doubt my eyesight will ever be good enough to fly. I could go for a multi pupiloptimy but in order to not damage the retina they have to go through the anus, ain't no man taking that route with me.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Uncle Sick said:
No one wubs meh anymore... *cries*

Absyss makes the fart go Honda :)

Get back soon Unc :fluffle:

Tilda

It could just be me, but I thought some people are "born" to be good at long distance endurance stuff, whereas others are more set up to be short distance sprinter-y type people. Going by this, I'm a sprinter as anything over 150m makes me want to die :(

Tilda

lovedaddy

Fledgling Freddie
advice

I'm still toying with the idea of the air force. I've been in my current job for about 3 and a half years now, basically since I left uni. I'd considered it back then, but just landed another job, and never moved.

3 years later, I'm board of my job (got my first written warning for being abusive on monday), and disgusted at how badly my fitness has taken a hit. Soooo, as the question has sort of being going, what should be the minimum level of fitness, and how would I go about applying, urls etc.

Much appreciated.

00dave

lovedaddy said:
I'm still toying with the idea of the air force. I've been in my current job for about 3 and a half years now, basically since I left uni. I'd considered it back then, but just landed another job, and never moved.

3 years later, I'm board of my job (got my first written warning for being abusive on monday), and disgusted at how badly my fitness has taken a hit. Soooo, as the question has sort of being going, what should be the minimum level of fitness, and how would I go about applying, urls etc.

Much appreciated.

You can't apply online but you can apply for an information pack at http://www.rafcareers.com/index.cfm?flash=go but I suggest if you want to join soon you'd better find the nearest armed force careers office and put your name down, you have to sit an apptitude test which is stupidly easy, an interview with a sergeant and a medical (they feel you nuts) and another interview with an officer but I got the same sergeant as the previous interview. But the thing is I applied in March and my entry date in feb 4th so waiting times are quite high at the moment.

PM me you location and I'll look up the nearest AFCO to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom