Exercise

Chameleon

Fledgling Freddie
Sir Frizz said:
Cycling is extremely good for stamina, you can make it as hard, or as easy as you like. Without too much trouble.
I second that. Cycling was to be my suggestion also. As Frizz said, it's easier to adjust to your level without killing urself from the outset.

Gray

FH is my second home
00dave said:
I'm just worried about not being up to the same standards as the rest on my flight.

I've put some thought into this post kinda... I dont feel it would matter if you are "upto the same standards" as certain other people in your team. If your superiors (Whoever their calls) accepted you to be in the squad then in theory "you are upto THEIR standard".

You may not be the fittest/healithiest member of the squad but it could all change. Just concentrate more on getting in and take it from there... im sure the other squaddies wont care if you are a bit behind... coz everyone catches up sometime

--

The last time i went biking, first time since i was 16 (was a few months ago) after 2mins of riding i come upto a curb, tried to jump it and the front wheel come down too fast and i literally went head over heels...

That bike got tossed back in the shed :/

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
00dave said:
You can't apply online but you can apply for an information pack at http://www.rafcareers.com/index.cfm?flash=go but I suggest if you want to join soon you'd better find the nearest armed force careers office and put your name down, you have to sit an apptitude test which is stupidly easy, an interview with a sergeant and a medical (they feel you nuts) and another interview with an officer but I got the same sergeant as the previous interview. But the thing is I applied in March and my entry date in feb 4th so waiting times are quite high at the moment.

PM me you location and I'll look up the nearest AFCO to you.

This is obviously depending on what branch he wants to go for. Pilot, nav, etc (all officer branches), have a slightly different selection process. You'll apply to join at the AFCO, you'll then have a nice little presentation. After this you'll book a filter interview with the CO of the RAF part of the AFCO. This interview can last between 30 mins and an hour and tests you on your knowlegde of the RAF, the branches you've selected (in my case Intel Officer, Fighter Controller and Air Traffic Controller), some current affairs. If you are successful here your name will be put forward to the Selection Board at RAF Cranwell (although your name may be put forward, this doesn't mean you've got thru the next part). If you're selected by the Board at Cranwell you'll then be sent a date for OASC (Officer and Aircrew Selection Course), which is spread over 4 days. The first part, is a mixture of another more formal interview which will test you on current affairs, the RAF (history and current deployment), it'll also test your ability to debate. A fitness test, medical and aptitude tests complete the first part of OASC. If you're successful here, you'll move on to the second part, this includes; leadership exercises (get barrel A to point Z without it touching the ground), more debating, group problem solving and individual problem solving.

After the 4 days, you'll wait to hear from Cranwell to see if you passed. If you have then you'll be given a date for IOT (Initial Officer Training). This is a 24 week course based at RAF Cranwell which basically introduces you to RAF live, leadership, the RAF traditions (big formal meals etc). Once successful here, you'll then move onto your branch training. For example Intel that would be at the Defence Intelligence and Security Centre.

Once you've completed the Branch training (however long that will take is dependant on the branch), you'll then be a fully fledged RAF Officer and you'll get posted to where ever.

But it is a very long process, just to get to OASC. I applied in October, my OASC date isn't until March. If I pass that, I very much doubt I'll start IOT until November. So if you're serious, apply to join, but keep your job. Like 00dave suggests, if you want any help, I'll be happy to give some to you aswell :)

00dave - the fact that you passed the medical and I presume any fitness tests, means that your fitness is at the required level. Remember, that basic training is there in order to get your fitness up to whatever the RAF deem correct. As long as you're not a fat bloater (like DMW) then you'll be fine :D

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Cdr said:
Remember, that basic training is there in order to get your fitness up to whatever the RAF deem correct. As long as you're not a fat bloater (like DMW) then you'll be fine :D

:eek: Pfft Jealousy to be perfectly honest :eek:

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
It could just be me, but I thought some people are "born" to be good at long distance endurance stuff, whereas others are more set up to be short distance sprinter-y type people. Going by this, I'm a sprinter as anything over 150m makes me want to die :(

Tilda
Tilda, yeah it depends on the muscles make up of two different types of muscle fibre, fast twitch fibres(for instant speed) and slow twitch fibres (used more in longer distances). You can obviously train to do whatever you want but your genetics help quite a bit with this. Obvious when you look at 100m sprints, most runners are all black, their genetics have more fast twitch fibres in, which also means they dont swim very well as those types of fibres are heavier! ahhhh fun fun, sorry lesson over :)

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
my tip on running fast is simple.

step1. roll up a newspaper
step2. place said newspaper between bum cheeks
step3. grip it firmly with your arse
step4. open box of matches
step5 light end of newspaper

then ruuun.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
ScoobyDoo{KEA} said:

then ruuun.

I vote this be made the intergral part of all future forces training.

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
ScoobyDoo{KEA} said:

then ruuun.

lol that made me giggle, thanks as work is pissing me off :(

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
with you on that one mate, work is pissing me off something chronic!

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Cdr said:
Once you've completed the Branch training (however long that will take is dependant on the branch), you'll then be a fully fledged RAF Officer and you'll get posted to where ever.

00dave - the fact that you passed the medical and I presume any fitness tests, means that your fitness is at the required level. Remember, that basic training is there in order to get your fitness up to whatever the RAF deem correct. As long as you're not a fat bloater (like DMW) then you'll be fine :D

Sorry totally forgot he might want to be a Rupert.

There was no fitness test, the only thing close was a lung capacity test and I have above average but it doesn't stop them making me feel like John Hurt on the dinner table. But apparantly my testicles are ok.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
oh :(

I'm sure you'll be fine, like I said, as long as you're not totally unfit then basic will get you up to the standard thats required.

00dave

how long can you run for without stopping or slowing and how much distance do you travel in that time?

Froggeh

Fledgling Freddie
If you want to improve your cardio fitness relatively quickly, trying HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a good option.

When running, basically you interchange between a sprint for maybe 30 seconds and then run at a jog for the next minute, then sprint for 30 seconds, repeat the cycle.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/int_time.htm for more info.

I used this as I was training for an event and it worked wonders.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
00dave said:
how long can you run for without stopping or slowing and how much distance do you travel in that time?

I have done 28 miles in snow and hills, in about 8/9 hours.

Mind you i did almost feint afterwards :(

Edit: But Seriously, it's not going to be very hard anyway. And as has been said they will get you up to the required level in basic. Unless you are overweight and seriously unfit.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Forgive me for asking, but what branch are you going into 00dave (I've forgotten :( )?

00dave

Cdr said:
Forgive me for asking, but what branch are you going into 00dave (I've forgotten :( )?

Won't say for fear of you coming looking for me with your officer status but it's an outdoor trade.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
lol, gwan, say - I'm not in yet, I may fail OASC :D

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Mechanical Transport Driver?

'Fraid I had to look it up on the careers website, hadnt a clue what MTD stood for :(

00dave

Cdr said:
Mechanical Transport Driver?

'Fraid I had to look it up on the careers website, hadnt a clue what MTD stood for :(

I'll remember that when you've got those pips on your shoulders.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Well in that case then, you have no problems with fitness. It's the RAF and if it's not pilot then you should be fine.
Good luck to you :)

00dave

Finding everything on the list they gave me is proving to be annoying, can't wear boxer shorts you have to wear pants, swimming trunks not shorts, PJs all sorts.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
00dave said:
Finding everything on the list they gave me is proving to be annoying, can't wear boxer shorts you have to wear pants, swimming trunks not shorts, PJs all sorts.

Beat's going commando style for sure :)

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
hehe better go buy a pair of speedos and some Y fronts then

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom