Exchange/Active Sync help

Tilda

So our univeristy emails have switched to Web-Exchange access.
If I log in to the website I can send and receive emails.

If I log in to my phone, I can send and receive emails.

But if I use some exchange settings in outlook I can receive emails, but I can' reply to them due to some stupid restriction. Basically to make email work in outlook I've had to set it up as an IMAP account, but use the uni's exchange servers, which somehow works.

Anybody know if there's a clever way I can make outlook pretend its a mobile phone/active sync, so I can send emails?

soze

I am a FH squatter
HTTP over RPC will force Outlook to connect over the OWA link. Open the Server Settings select more settings go to the connections Tab and there is Outlook Anywhere at the bottom turn that on and enter your OWA link in the top box. By default you will then turn on the "Only connect to proxy servers..." and in there put "msstd:eek:walink". But these settings are not universal so it will depend on your companies settings.

Tilda

Thanks soze, my problem is, I'm not 100% sure what the Exchange settings are. I presume I use exchange on my phone, but on outlook the only way i've got it to work so far is by setting it up as an IMAP. Which doesn't have the OWA link thing that I can see.
Help? :D

Tilda

Ok so I've done what you've suggested but its having problems resolving stuff. I dont know if its because I've done it wrong, or because I'm being blocked by the uni.

Basically, in the server settings for server i've got ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk and username, "/<username>" I've also tried "\uea.ac.uk/<username>"

I've then ticked the "More setting" > connection > OEA exchange proxy
In that box I've put https:// "ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk"
and ticked the SSL and the "only connect to proxy and put in the msstd: owalink
changed proxy authentication to negotiate.

With both of these when i click ok on the first screen it says "can't be completed, connection unavaliable, must be online"
hit ok and it pops up a box with
Microsoft exchange server "ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk"
Mailbox where I've tried both "/<username>" and "\uea.ac.uk/<username"
Neither works, I hit ok and it then pops up a windows logon box

"Connecting to <username>@uea.ac.uk"
with a password box.
However many times you click ok with the right details it just pops up again.

Does it matter that my username and my email address are different? Although I believe if I send an email to <username>@uea.ac.uk it still gets to me.

Tilda

and just now was spamming "ok" and got an error "problem with proxy server's security certificate, name invalid or deson't match the name of the target site ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk"

soze

I am a FH squatter
You will need to know the name of the Exchange Server / Cluster. You enter that internal servername in the server field on the first screen. Then enter your Name. Then hit moresettings and enter the OWA details at this stage. Make sure you do not have a space between msstd: and the link. After entering these details OK until you are back at the first Server screen then hit Check Name and if it has access it will prompt for a username and password. I can not open the links you posted but if one of them mentions the Excahnge server that is what you will need.

Tilda

Most of them seem to say ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk
Although to set up active sync on macmail they say use legacy.uea.ac.uk

Can you clarify I am supposed to say say msstd: owalink or am I supposed to replace owalink with the ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk or something else?
I dont have a space :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk will just be used on the first screen, you wull use the OWA link on on Outlook Anywhere screen including with the msstd: part.

Tilda

so I literally write owalink, I'm not supposed to know some funky owa.uea.ac.uk or anything?

It's still not working even like that, says username or server can't be resolved and pops up the box with both of them in again. Do i just type my username, or does it need a domain infront of it, or any slashes or anything?

soze

I am a FH squatter
No sorry my bad, use the external link that you use on your mobile so owa.uea.ac.uk ect. Sorry was not very clear.

Tilda

my mobile's settings (android) only list ueaexchange.uea.ac.uk do I use that? or make up an owa.uea.ac.uk?

soze

I am a FH squatter
If that works for the mobile that is the right address to enter.

I still think you will need the Internal Server name. But try it.

Tilda

Like this: ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 6

Tilda

If I get the internal server name, is that the internal server name for the OWA? Where would I put it? everywhere? or in box 2?
If you tell me what things I'm missing, I'll phone up helpdesk and see if I can get it out of them.

Last edited:

soze

I am a FH squatter
The screen you have is perfect (for the default settings) the internal server is needed on the first screen where it asks for the server name and the mailbox name, the screen where you clicked more settings.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm fairly sure you can do this without the "only connect to proxy servers" box checked.

I do for my work's exchange OWA

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yes you can unselect that box but with the default install you need the box ticked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom