Excel Expertise Required!

Chilly

Balls of steel
So work have me on excel duty for a days and I'm stuck with how to get something done.

I have a table of data, test coverage %ages for a number of projects for every week, and the data gets updated every week so the pretty managerial graphs can be generated. How can I automatically lift the most current set of data (ie the stuff furthest to the right) from that table and dump it elsewhere?

cheers

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Pivot tables I think?

Or maybe a vlookup with a nested count function that updates the amount of columns over the newer data is.

Chilly

Balls of steel
yeah I saw both of those, but count just counts every column, not just the ones that are full. Is there something that will work with count to count only the full ones? If so vlookup (or possibly hlookup) will do the trick.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Record a macro tbh if you've got to copy & paste the stuff elsewhere whilst the book is open. Ctrl + Right Arrow would take you to the end.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
yeah I saw both of those, but count just counts every column, not just the ones that are full. Is there something that will work with count to count only the full ones? If so vlookup (or possibly hlookup) will do the trick.

Counta()

Count Cells with Data -- COUNTA

The COUNTA function will count cells that are not empty. Its syntax is:
=COUNTA(value1, value2,...value30).
The arguments (e.g. value1) can be cell references, or values typed into the formula. The following example uses one argument -- a reference to cells A1:A5.

1. Enter the sample data on your worksheet
2. In cell A7, enter a COUNTA formula, to count the numbers in column A: =COUNTA(A1:A5)
3. Press the Enter key, to complete the formula.
4. The result will be 4, the number of cells that contain data.

Note: COUNTA will count cells with formulas — including those that look empty, because they evaluate to "", e.g. =IF(B2="","",B2). It will also count cells which had formulas that evaluated to "", but then were converted to values (Edit | Paste Special, Values). You can see apostrophes in those "non-blank" converted cells, if you add a check mark to Tools | Options, Transition tab, "Transition navigation keys."

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Chilly

Balls of steel
done mate, cheers for the offer tho. I was wondering when youd pitch in with your excel guru-level skillz

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom