excal upgrade

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Drav said:
You have completely missed my point, Im not saying code DAoC the same as SWG, what Im saying is we expect mmorpg's in general to have a certain amount of default capabilties. Holding up under pressure should be something we take for granted..... it should be something that by default has to work before any release can take place in any mmorpg.... granted SWG goes down for patched and maintenance but that wasnt a bother.... because we all get excited about patches ;).

ok, I missunderstood - but they don't patch every day yet they still bring the servers down every day. That and the fact that almost everything in the game is still bugged 6 months after release annoys me.

Drav said:
DAoC seems to go down if and when it feels like it, as well as anytime folk all get together for the full scale warfare that makes the game worth playing for alot of ppl..... this should by default of been made possible since beta.... Ive seen other mmorpgs hold more folk in a zone and still the server has been fine, maybe thats a bad comparison for some of you but I think it should stand, why should we expect anything less from Mythic and/or GoA.

That's the whole idea behind competition. If you find it unacceptable that daoc crashes when too many people are online then don't play, or don't go into zones where hundreds of other people already are. Saying 'but that's the whole point of the game' is a valid point, just as valid as me saying - if you're not happy with what you're getting, why continue? Obviously this is very annoying to you and other people, some of which have already quit but in general most people are content with how this service is provided to us. If they weren't then no one would play anymore!

You think another game is better, that's fine - go play it.

Drav said:
My point is this, dont release an un-finished game and patch it/upgrade till it works, the point of patches/upgrades should be this, to enhance an already working game code, and give players more to play with.

products should be finished when they are distributed but this is hardly ever the case for any computer related software be it a game or standard application. Fully testing or prototyping a product costs a lot of money and many companies just skip that bit (remember one of the nasa probes just 'missing' mars? that was 'cos they hadn't tested the earth based navigation system and the probe's one. One used the metric system while the other was still imperial!!!). Hence the need for patches. Unfortunately for Nasa, by the time they noticed the problem the probe had already gone awol.

Drav said:
If it means Mythic have to recode the entire game then fine, we pay for a working "finished" resulting game, and also pay for add ons that we presume should work fine on their own right out of the CD case.

It costs too much, in fact it would probably cost almost as much to recode the entire game than to just develop a new one learning from the mistakes of daoc (imperator). Mythic is a commerical company, it is there to make money period. You agree to this when you click accept on the EULA and Terms and Conditions boxes each time you log onto the game. It's their game, they do what they want with it. You have the choice to play it by their rules or quit. This also applies to GOA about how they run the servers etc.

Drav said:
A good metaphor would be this, when you buy a loaf of bread, you dont expect the baker to give you flour, water, yeast and salt for your money and then tell ya he'll bake it later.... you expect a loaf of bread, edible and tasty straight off the shelf.

An analogy actually. A better one would be: you go into the bakery and buy your loaf of bread. It's small and scabby. The next day you go to the bakery next door and buy a nice warm fresh one (which you find is full of bugs haha :p). See the difference?

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
Aadia:
Just because you LD doesn't mean the server isn't improved. I've played all day without LDing..
I doubt the server upgrade means there will never be any zonecrashes, but there is a very definite improvement in performance.

Drav:
I don't think Mythic did a bad job at designing their server architecture, in fact it's pretty good. The biggest problem is that the game design dictates that once every so often, lots of players will all be gathering at the same place. More so than in many other MMORPGs.
Ok, so SWG servers don't crash every now and then, they're just down for 2 hours a day every day for 'maintenance', or so I've heard.

Anyway, we were talking about GOA and the server upgrade here. Some people say GOA is lying to them and that nothing has happened, but if you think so, you haven't been playing a lot, because it's pretty hard to miss.

A few weeks ago, the server would crash at least once just about every day.
Now, the server has been up since 2004-03-18 11:58 (CET).
There may have been a zonecrash or two, I don't know and I can't monitor them, but I do monitor server status as a whole and the improvement is obvious.

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Thorarin said:
A few weeks ago, the server would crash at least once just about every day.
Now, the server has been up since 2004-03-18 11:58 (CET).
There may have been a zonecrash or two, I don't know and I can't monitor them, but I do monitor server status as a whole and the improvement is obvious.

Just wait for the next big relic raid m8, then we'll see whether the upgrade has made any difference in that respect...

I remember when Alb still had the str relic and we must of had around 350 -400 (inc mids and hibs) ppl in the Forest Sauvage Zone, yes the zone crashed but it was back up without the server falling to bits in a matter of minutes, that didnt bother me so much..... was a cool battle as well :)

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Drav said:
Just wait for the next big relic raid m8, then we'll see whether the upgrade has made any difference in that respect...

I remember when Alb still had the str relic and we must of had around 350 -400 (inc mids and hibs) ppl in the Forest Sauvage Zone, yes the zone crashed but it was back up without the server falling to bits in a matter of minutes, that didnt bother me so much..... was a cool battle as well :)

you mean like when the hibs tried to take mid str relics? Granted there was only 4fg hibs, but there was around 300 mids there... did the server (or even zone) crash?

If by 'big relic raid' you mean an 800 strong zerg then no amounts of upgrades will ever be able to handle that. Not on EU servers, not on US servers, italian or korean.

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Ssera said:
If by 'big relic raid' you mean an 800 strong zerg then no amounts of upgrades will ever be able to handle that. Not on EU servers, not on US servers, italian or korean.

Not saying that at all m8, the scenario I was thinking of is more how alb rr's seem to go, we get say 200 albs 200 mids and 200 hibs all in the same zone....

Occasionally the server seems to support this amount in one zone, other times it doesnt.... I expect a zone crash with those numbers, but as long as the server holds up and the zone is back up within say 15 mins I dont have much complaint.

Whats worse is when it crashes the zone, then the login server goes down, ghosted accounts are the suxxor.

I dunno maybe they should introduce some sort of RR command that prevents the non-invading and non-defending realm from getting involved, would make PT RR's a lot less fun but would make the chance of the Zone staying up a lot more likely.... doubt that would be a popular idea tho to most of us players, tbh I dont like it myself, but I think PT RR's should be possible between say a total of 4-5 hundred of players from all realms in total.

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Drav said:
Not saying that at all m8, the scenario I was thinking of is more how alb rr's seem to go, we get say 200 albs 200 mids and 200 hibs all in the same zone....

Occasionally the server seems to support this amount in one zone, other times it doesnt.... I expect a zone crash with those numbers, but as long as the server holds up and the zone is back up within say 15 mins I dont have much complaint.

Whats worse is when it crashes the zone, then the login server goes down, ghosted accounts are the suxxor.

True login server going down is the most annoying (tho having spent 20 mins bashing at the doors, getting to door 3 and then the zone restarting and all doors being at 100% is also very annoying.

Having said that, Excal hasn't gone down and stayed down since the upgrade so maybe they upgraded the login servers. Guess we'll have to wait for the next epic zerg to form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom