excal upgrade

Snarks

Fledgling Freddie
Any chance someone can copy and paste the text of this as 90% of game related sites are blocked by Websense where I work :(

Silverblast

One of Freddy's beloved
Snarks said:
Any chance someone can copy and paste the text of this as 90% of game related sites are blocked by Websense where I work :(
Tomorrow the 18th at 8.15 GMT the Excalibur server will be brought down for maintenance. The server will undergo a hardware upgrade, which should ease some of the server stress, which has increased dramatically since the release of Trials of Atlantis.

The server is expected to be back up some time during the early afternoon.

Rep point please xD.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Sombody should tell GOA that replacing the sidepanel of the server cases with perspex and hanging neon lights inside doesn't qualify as an upgrade :D

Snarks

Fledgling Freddie
Silverblast said:
Tomorrow the 18th at 8.15 GMT the Excalibur server will be brought down for maintenance. The server will undergo a hardware upgrade, which should ease some of the server stress, which has increased dramatically since the release of Trials of Atlantis.

The server is expected to be back up some time during the early afternoon.

Rep point please xD.

Thanks

So what this actually means is that Excal server is indeed shite and that GoA didn't fix things after the numerous RR crashes and has now realised that there is indeed a real problem that can no longer be ignored or kept working using just a washing up liquid bottle, some string and some sticky back plastic. Perhaps they are going to use the mice from bagpuss's mouse organ :D

Hopefully it will be up and running by the time I get to log on tomorrow night after 8pm GMT

York

Fledgling Freddie
Snarks said:
Thanks

So what this actually means is that Excal server is indeed shite and that GoA didn't fix things after the numerous RR crashes and has now realised that there is indeed a real problem that can no longer be ignored or kept working using just a washing up liquid bottle, some string and some sticky back plastic. Perhaps they are going to use the mice from bagpuss's mouse organ :D

Hopefully it will be up and running by the time I get to log on tomorrow night after 8pm GMT

Or maybe just maybe .. its more BullShit like we usually get, we'll see ingame anyways.

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Goa is actually admitting that the hardware on excal server wasn't up to date at all then as they stated last time??? :eek2:

:touch:

Aadia said:
Goa is actually admitting that the hardware on excal server wasn't up to date at all then as they stated last time??? :eek2:

:touch:

oh im sorry i guess I WAS RIGHT~! haha hahah hahah i will start taking PM apologies now for all those that flamed me :twak:

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
Elewyth(TLSOA) said:
oh im sorry i guess I WAS RIGHT~! haha hahah hahah i will start taking PM apologies now for all those that flamed me :twak:

I'm sure everyone will get onto that right away! :m00:

Funkdocta

Fledgling Freddie
I remember goa saying not that long ago when they upgraded the servers that they was using the very best technology. Obviously they lied.

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
Funkdocta said:
I remember goa saying not that long ago when they upgraded the servers that they was using the very best technology. Obviously they lied.

Or perhaps they was using the best technology at the time, which is now not the best due to ToA, they've recognised this, and are upgrading the server again.

Dont forget, the server was upgraded in July last year

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Funkdocta said:

I might as well point out that was over a year ago now, and lest we forget just how mind-numbingly fast computer components get outdated these days.

afaik the servers GOA use are/were up to the spec Mythic specified to run TOA, while the US servers have more players (I think) their also spread over more servers. The English speaking community is crammed onto just two (anyone else noticed that Excal is reaching 2.6k+ in the evenings?)

Elewyth(TLSOA) - your appologies in the mail. Though didn't you say you were leaving? ;)

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Snarks said:
Thanks

Unless we know what form the upgrade will take we are purely speculating that something along the lines of Processor or memory would be upgraded, it might be a relativly insignificant performance upgrade like additional network cards etc

Cerberos

Fledgling Freddie
They will proberly upgrade the cdrom drive to a dvdrom and call it up2date:)

plomien

Fledgling Freddie
well i haven't seen the servers down today apart from lyonesse earlier.

i wonder if they took the wrong server down....:eek7:

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
Playing mostly on Prydwen Im curious if things got better?
Mid/Prydwen is a joke currently - its sad that GOA still take our money for their inept customer service.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Definatly, being the lucky blighter I am i've usually been doing other things on the nights of the server crashes. But so far there have been none as far as I know.

Hope they upgrade Pyr soon so people can visit TOA again - i'm hoping some of the mids playing in Thid will bugger off so I can finish the keep take quest with me necro :D

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon said:
I might as well point out that was over a year ago now, and lest we forget just how mind-numbingly fast computer components get outdated these days.

afaik the servers GOA use are/were up to the spec Mythic specified to run TOA, while the US servers have more players (I think) their also spread over more servers. The English speaking community is crammed onto just two (anyone else noticed that Excal is reaching 2.6k+ in the evenings?)

Elewyth(TLSOA) - your appologies in the mail. Though didn't you say you were leaving? ;)

the top US servers as merlin hit 3k in primetime :)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Lejemorder said:
the top US servers as merlin hit 3k in primetime :)

It does? Hmm... Oh well, I suppose it would be some kind of crime if I was always right :)

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Mishy said:
Or perhaps they was using the best technology at the time, which is now not the best due to ToA, they've recognised this, and are upgrading the server again.

Dont forget, the server was upgraded in July last year

Lies.... read this post again... remember the crashes in january?
Here is the post goa put down on their site
Happy reading...
For those who are a bit too lazy i'll quote them here:

"The hardware on the Excalibur server was upgraded recently and is just about top notch. While hardware upgrades may seem like the obvious solution, this is not an area where improvements would make much of a difference."

Remember this post was from the 7th of january this year
http://camelot-europe.goa.com/news/newsarticle.php3?id_article=1671

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
Aadia said:
Lies.... read this post again... remember the crashes in january? Here is the post goa put down on their site

First of all: no matter what hardware GOA is going to throw at it, if everyone gathers in the same zone, the zone will crash. This is by design, you can't blame GOA for it. Lately the servers sometimes go down altogether in the event of a zonecrash, but if you want to blame anyone for that, blame Mythic.

Secondly: the post you're referring to is obviously pre-TOA. The lag experienced on Excalibur resulting in the recent upgrade was in the different TOA zones which have higher system requirements than the old zones.

Thirdly: a hardware upgrade doesn't have to mean better hardware, it can also be more hardware, in which case saying the existing hardware was "just about top notch" wouldn't be a lie at all.

So basically you're calling lies on things you know nothing about, which isn't fair to GOA. There was a problem, it was annoying, GOA fixed it. So rather than spreading disinformation, go play and enjoy the improved server ;)

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
improved server my ass... still ld alot as before...
and don't try to be denigrating to me

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Havent noticed any improvement on the server myself, except for maybe some zones being a little more stable, but DF crashed after the supposed upgrade so it still isnt top notch.

As far as zones crashing because of the amount of folk in them, if this is by mythics design, then why wouldnt they fix it??? They could do it easily in an add on, and they could have done it with the ToA client, why would Mythic shoot themselves in the foot by causing these kinds of problems, problems which will inevitably cost them money, at the code lvl?

Maybe Mythic is assuming from there own experience of maintaining the US servers that the zones crashing because of population doesnt occur that often anyway..... so maybe just maybe.... its down to hardware Mythic are using, and hardware GoA are using.

TBH there are far more problems than just this with GoA, so saying folk are being unfair to them is kind of a joke..... I played the sucky SWG for 6 months and didnt get a server crash once.... and it was on one of the highly populated US servers, why should we expect any different with Europe based servers for DAoC???

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Drav said:
Havent noticed any improvement on the server myself, except for maybe some zones being a little more stable, but DF crashed after the supposed upgrade so it still isnt top notch.

ok so you haven't noticed any improvements but some zones are more stable. Df has crashed but then again it was crashing before. 1 improvement, 1 thing the same. Overall that is an improvement then yes?

Drav said:
As far as zones crashing because of the amount of folk in them, if this is by mythics design, then why wouldnt they fix it??? They could do it easily in an add on, and they could have done it with the ToA client, why would Mythic shoot themselves in the foot by causing these kinds of problems, problems which will inevitably cost them money, at the code lvl?

Well 1.68 gives some performance boost so they seem to be aware of the problem. Hopefully frontiers will bring some additional changes especially in the RvR zones. To answer your question tho as to 'why wouldnt they fix it???' - most likely because it would involve recoding the entire game and if you're gonna do that you might as well just make a new game (Imperator?).

Drav said:
Maybe Mythic is assuming from there own experience of maintaining the US servers that the zones crashing because of population doesnt occur that often anyway..... so maybe just maybe.... its down to hardware Mythic are using, and hardware GoA are using.?

Yes populations on Mythic servers are more spread out than here in Europe, but if you go onto the VN boards and ask around you'll see that their zones crash just as often as ours, and often with far less people online.

Drav said:
TBH there are far more problems than just this with GoA, so saying folk are being unfair to them is kind of a joke..... I played the sucky SWG for 6 months and didnt get a server crash once.... and it was on one of the highly populated US servers, why should we expect any different with Europe based servers for DAoC???

I doubt very much that swg is coded in any way remotely similar to how DAoC is done and saying 'why don't they just do the same' is completely stupid. Here again, even if they wanted to they'd have to recode the entire game to work on a different platform - never going to happen. swg servers may not crash but they're still taken down daily for maintenance and the game remains incredibly buggy.

Since the upgrade I haven't had any problems with lag or lds and the server hasn't crashed once at all (talking about the whole server going down and the old 'account already logged in' problem). No zones have gone down and stayed down so all in all I think it's a pretty damn good improvement especially when you compare it to the last few weeks.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Drav said:

Maybe because it isnt easy to fix ? If its down to the core engine of the game it would need an almost complete rewrite of the game.
Maybe because they figure it costs them less money to leave it like it is then to fix it.

Drav said:
Maybe Mythic is assuming from there own experience of maintaining the US servers that the zones crashing because of population doesnt occur that often anyway..... so maybe just maybe.... its down to hardware Mythic are using, and hardware GoA are using.
Zone crashes happen on US servers in the same situations.
People who play US have confirmed this (on VN board and in friends who I asked in the pub)

Drav said:
Diffrent game, and excal turned for 6 months without crashing if not longer.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
erm

i'm sure the american servers dont have populations as large as europe. if you think excal is heavily used look at some of the german and french servers that have have had higher numbers

mythic wouldnt have seen this coming as they wouldnt have had to deal with it so much in america?

:/

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Ssera said:
there an echo in here? :p
I was typing before your post showed up, then they made me work :(

Must say, you are one smart Fellow :)

Drav

Loyal Freddie
Ssera said:
I doubt very much that swg is coded in any way remotely similar to how DAoC is done and saying 'why don't they just do the same' is completely stupid. Here again, even if they wanted to they'd have to recode the entire game to work on a different platform - never going to happen. swg servers may not crash but they're still taken down daily for maintenance and the game remains incredibly buggy.

You have completely missed my point, Im not saying code DAoC the same as SWG, what Im saying is we expect mmorpg's in general to have a certain amount of default capabilties. Holding up under pressure should be something we take for granted..... it should be something that by default has to work before any release can take place in any mmorpg.... granted SWG goes down for patched and maintenance but that wasnt a bother.... because we all get excited about patches ;).

DAoC seems to go down if and when it feels like it, as well as anytime folk all get together for the full scale warfare that makes the game worth playing for alot of ppl..... this should by default of been made possible since beta.... Ive seen other mmorpgs hold more folk in a zone and still the server has been fine, maybe thats a bad comparison for some of you but I think it should stand, why should we expect anything less from Mythic and/or GoA.

My point is this, dont release an un-finished game and patch it/upgrade till it works, the point of patches/upgrades should be this, to enhance an already working game code, and give players more to play with.

If it means Mythic have to recode the entire game then fine, we pay for a working "finished" resulting game, and also pay for add ons that we presume should work fine on their own right out of the CD case.

A good metaphor would be this, when you buy a loaf of bread, you dont expect the baker to give you flour, water, yeast and salt for your money and then tell ya he'll bake it later.... you expect a loaf of bread, edible and tasty straight off the shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom