EU CE Questions.

Simmo

Fledgling Freddie
Ive been reading alot of information from the US site and since we are run by GOA was wondering if they have the same planned for the EU CE customers.

1. Will we (CE owners) get the same priority with the preview weekend that the US will be given, if we are having a preview weekend at all?

2. Will the head start be extended for the CE owners over the SW owners?

3.Will the CE pre orders be invited into the closed beta next week as it states the US ones will?

If IanC or any of you helpful people out there could answer these questions i would be most grateful.

MagnusGOA

English WAR Community Manager
Ive been reading alot of information from the US site and since we are run by GOA was wondering if they have the same planned for the EU CE customers.

1. Will we (CE owners) get the same priority with the preview weekend that the US will be given, if we are having a preview weekend at all?

2. Will the head start be extended for the CE owners over the SW owners?

3.Will the CE pre orders be invited into the closed beta next week as it states the US ones will?

Greetings!
As Mehuge indeed point out, Iain has already addressed most of your questions in this post.

Your second question is partially answered in Mark Jacobs original statement:

Mark Jacobs said:
4) Regarding the pre-order, Collector’s Edition and the Standard Edition, we are extending the Head Start for the pre-order CE (not the SE) buyers by at least an additional day as an added thank you for buying our CE. Just as with the PW, no additional fee will be required to play in our Head Start.

So what we now know is that North American Standard Edition Pre-Order owners will not receive the extra Head Start day. Plans for the European market are not yet finalized, but we will, naturally, share any such plans as soon we are ready to do so!

Cheers,
Magnus

Simmo

Fledgling Freddie
Thanx for the reply Magnus, Ian's statement basicly says they dont know yet, i was hoping for a little more than that since the US have all the information they need and we have nothing.

Thats ok i mean if you guys dont have the answers well not much more you can do is there, so looks like where just waiting for things to be finalised.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
So what we now know is that North American Standard Edition Pre-Order owners will not receive the extra Head Start day. Plans for the European market are not yet finalized, but we will, naturally, share any such plans as soon we are ready to do so!

Cheers,
Magnus

except time's running out.
Can't continue to use the "soon" (tm) and "when we are ready" and all that..... time is running out and we don't even have a beta center up yet to enter our CE codes.

chrislocalboy

Fledgling Freddie
Can't continue to use the "soon" (tm) and "when we are ready" and all that..... time is running out and we don't even have a beta center up yet to enter our CE codes.

Agreed....... however from what I can gather we should not be directing our frustration as GOA, it seems they have been totally left in the dark by Mythic as well as everyone in the EU.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Agreed....... however from what I can gather we should not be directing our frustration as GOA, it seems they have been totally left in the dark by Mythic as well as everyone in the EU.

No they haven't. At least not according to IaniC. It was only the additional goodies such as CB access for CE people and such things. Not the release date. That seems to have been well known.

Also the things such as beta center et al are things GOA have complete control over. So with a known release date, the fact that GOA still doesn't have things under wraps seems ..... scary to me. And the fact that they still haven't released additional information about the EU situation is more so......
Heck - as I've mentioned a few times, they've not even updated their FAQ to the release date. Slow slow slow. They can't keep delaying themselves with a firm (and known) date.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie

Not knowing can be frustrating i know.

I would imagine everyone will recieve an email once it's all ready.

No point having a place to input your codes until access is available anyway really.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
No point having a place to input your codes until access is available anyway really.

To avoid servers crashing down with a vengeance as people try to enter their codes when the game goes live is one point. Having people spread out over a wider period of time prior to that would be beneficial for themselves and the players.
Showing that GOA actually can lift some of the tasks would be another point.

There is no point in having to delay it some undefined amount of time when the US have been able to for ages, really.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie

maybe not but not having anywhere for CE codes to be put in seems to be the main reason we might not get closed beta access for CE pre orders...

it also shows people that GOA will be a second rate service unless they pull there fingers out and start showing people progress.

the war-europe website doesnt even work properly for the longest time now the beta profile page is bugged to hell and back and doesnt even show the info you put in half the time.

at this point in time i dont have much faith in the abilities of GOA

Sugah

Fledgling Freddie
I just hope things have truely changed compared to how it was with DAOC. One of the things that used to annoy me the most was how different things were for Goa and Mythic customers. Mythic promised an equal level of customer service and so far this hasn't been true. I still can't believe we don't have anywhere to put the CE codes and that Goa don't seem to be ready for an open beta. I do get the feeling though that Mythic have had to release the game earlier than they would like so maybe Goa were expecting the beta to start in a few months.

peo

Fledgling Freddie

Of course we will get a email.
Then 60k? CE owners will try to enter their codes at the same time to not miss a second of beta. Considering the performance of the site currently it doesn't bode too well for the influx of people wanting to enter codes.

It should be up quite some time before the downloading and open beta starts, not on the same day which seems to be the intention of GoA due to the idea of "no use having it before it does anything".

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Of course we will get a email.
Then 60k? CE owners will try to enter their codes at the same time to not miss a second of beta. Considering the performance of the site currently it doesn't bode too well for the influx of people wanting to enter codes.

It should be up quite some time before the downloading and open beta starts, not on the same day which seems to be the intention of GoA due to the idea of "no use having it before it does anything".

Well, to be honest your speculating here. Release is over a month away, "open" beta is still probably weeks off so there is no indication they will only open the beta centre the day the beta begins. It might be a week before, who knows.

I share your concerns, please don't think I don't, but as with all things until there is a problem it's best not worrying about it too much :)

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Well, to be honest your speculating here. Release is over a month away, "open" beta is still probably weeks off so there is no indication they will only open the beta centre the day the beta begins. It might be a week before, who knows.

I share your concerns, please don't think I don't, but as with all things until there is a problem it's best not worrying about it too much :)

Well - wouldn't say worrying, but this is basically our only way of attempting to keep pressure on GOA. We have two choices. Keep mentioning the issues or not playing the game. As I would like to actually play Warhammer, I'll use the only other tool available and that is keep mentioning how slow GOA seemingly is, hoping it'll cause some effect of any kind.
If they can't even update their FAQ with a release date (which still says early 2008 - come on, how difficult would that be to change :twak: ) this long after the press release, what on earth makes anybody think they even want to put up a place to enter our keys a second before they have to aka the day it is actually needed.
This will then crash their servers, people will complain, and if lucky we'll get a light weight version of the website instead, and presto - right back in the first 2-3 years of DAoC once more with lousy services. So - no I'll continue to worry, whine, rant, complain and what not as much as I can, whether it'll help anything or not, simply because I can.

It might not be intentional, but they do seem to be so terrible slow with just about anything which makes me have even less faith in their ability to lift the promises come live. Spending 5 minutes to update the website once a day isn't difficult or expensive compared to actually having the promised equal or higher level of service compared to the USA customers.

peo

Fledgling Freddie

Yes I'm speculating.
Lack of information inevitably leads to that.
GoA has said a few things "europe will get the same or better service than NA"
"no entering of beta codes before there is a need to"
The problem is why.
Even if the open beta is weeks off you need to take into account downloading of the game and account management for stress purpouses.
You don't want the downloading to be compressed to day one of the open beta. 60000 people or so trying to download i guess around 3 gb of information at roughly the same time AND trying to enter their codes/account details into the system at the same time.
It just won't work.
They will do things when they feel ready yes. But they need to realise theese small facts and I truely hope they have otherwise the first days/week of the open beta will be a nightmare of epic proportions due to malcontent and inadequate bandwidth.
Just a simple example, if I have understood things correctly the americans will be able to start downloading the game by friday (15th) and the open beta starting a week or so after (23rd or 28th iirc).
No problem there, about one week between start of downloads and open beta. However here we can't even enter our codes so we can't be identified as CE holders which means that the likelihood of being able to download in adequate time to prevent total overload of the downloading servers is small. Add to that just entering your codes if it is a short timeframe might be a huge problem if the servers aren't up for the task (and considering that you can't even update the dxdiag properly it feels unlikely that it will work flawlessly).
Also even if the change to include the ce holders into the closed beta for a weekend or something was unknown the releasedate wasn't nor can the open beta date has been that much of a surprise.
So having a system up for thoose two in good time shouldn't have been a problem which it seems to be as it isn't up in good time.

Yes i'm speculating, i'm also a cynic and never trust anyone who hasn't earned my trust by actions. So far my trust hasn't exactly been earned, not that anyone cares about it but me.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
You're making some inaccurate assumptions
Download servers and web servers are different things. People putting codes into a website do not necessarily have to share any resources with people downloading clients.

Xandax. We know what needs to be done for launch, there are teams of project managers organising people and drawing up action lists for the different teams. We aren't going to suddenly forget that we need an account page before the OB starts.

bobfish

Fledgling Freddie
There is plenty of time, we just want to know prior to it happening, but there is ample time left for them to do all of these things if they so choose.

I think it would be better for them to just start the OB next week and be done with the whole thing, then give CE people a day extra headstart and suddenly we have a better deal all round for EU than NA.

Roll on access, to whatever, I just want to try some classes before I actually get to the headstart, so I don't waste time on a character I don't enjoy.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Download servers and web servers are different things. People putting codes into a website do not necessarily have to share any resources with people downloading clients.

Xandax. We know what needs to be done for launch, there are teams of project managers organising people and drawing up action lists for the different teams. We aren't going to suddenly forget that we need an account page before the OB starts.

Do not have to, doesn't equate will not. If many people hit the web servers it could easily have the effect of a DDOS, and unless the network is set up for that to happen we'll see problems.

And no - I do not think you'll "forget" that you need an account page (which actually works for everybody). However as I keep mentioning - if you [GOA, not you personally] can't take 5 minutes out of a day to log into your CMS to update the FAQ's release date (for example) from early 2008 to the actual dates, known for a number of work days now ..... then I think you need less project managers and more people actually doing work.

And yes - I know I'm ranting and complaining and whining and what ever people want to call it, but I'm personally tired of hearing about "soon(tm)" and "when we are ready" and hopes and promises, especially when the release dates and the dates where it actually matter is coming ever closer.

Faith is for Sundays in churches.

bobfish

Fledgling Freddie
Most companies host webservers in different data centers to game/download servers, I know mine does.

lerusius

Fledgling Freddie
I am just speculating but I think that GOA are done with the account page(remember they where going to maintenance on the site but postponed it), the game where supposed to be done early 2008. But I think it is not GOAs fault for being late but their partner firms are slow. The thing is I do not understand why GOA do not say anything about this problem updating the community with this. Like if their companies are slow just say that the account page is done but we can not post it at the moment because our partners is not ready for it yet or something. I just hate being kept in the dark like this!

peo

Fledgling Freddie

I know that a ftp is a different thing from a http server. However they can be run on the same machine.
Anyway maybe I was unclear, what I was talking about was two potential servers which wouldn't work. Not connected but indepentantly not working.
That is, too many entering codes AND too many trying to download.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I am just speculating but I think that GOA are done with the account page(remember they where going to maintenance on the site but postponed it), the game where supposed to be done early 2008. But I think it is not GOAs fault for being late but their partner firms are slow. The thing is I do not understand why GOA do not say anything about this problem updating the community with this. Like if their companies are slow just say that the account page is done but we can not post it at the moment because our partners is not ready for it yet or something. I just hate being kept in the dark like this!

Or perhaps GOA postponed cause they in fact weren't ready with the changes they wanted implemented. ;)

Dvergar

Regular Freddie
NA CE started geting their closed beta invites, any info on the euro side?

lerusius

Fledgling Freddie
Still no new information. Hope they will inform us as soon as they know something.

peo

Fledgling Freddie
NA CE started geting their closed beta invites, any info on the euro side?

From what Ian has said they were meeting mythic early next week to discuss things. However are you sure it is the ce closed beta invites and not regular invites.

JeevesFan

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, it's the CE invites. Here's a direct quote from Mythic:

James | General News | 08/09/2008 @ 06:24:02 EST
Well you better be!

CE Pre-Orders are being invited in multiple waves, and the first wave has just hit the shore. The servers aren't up yet but you can prepare to join the WAAAGH by getting the client now!

Remember that CE invites are still subject to eligibility, but everyone who pre-ordered the CE will get in for the Preview Weekend coming up soon!

We'll have more for you tomorrow, check back then same bat time, same bat channel.

WAAAGH!!!

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, it's the CE invites. Here's a direct quote from Mythic:

Im curious about this "Preview Weekend".

Is this the early access, ie weekend before general release?

Or is this a beta event preceeding the early access?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom